Action Into the Badlands

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Into the Badlands

Genre: Action & Adventure

First aired: 2015-11-15

Creator: Miles Millar, Alfred Gough

Cast: Daniel Wu, Emily Beecham, Nick Frost, Orla Brady, Alexia Ioannides, Aramis Knight

Overview: In a land controlled by feudal barons, a great warrior and a young boy embark on a journey across a dangerous land to find enlightenment. A genre-bending martial arts series very loosely based on the classic Chinese tale Journey to the West.
Into the Badlands

It's been some time since a true martial arts TV show has been on the air, at least here in the States, and AMC is planning on changing that. Into The Badlands is a new show premiering October 11 after The Walking Dead.

Like the start of TWD, Into The Badlands will start with just a six episode season 1.

The story in ITB is intriguingly based on the 16th century tale Journey To The West. The six-episode hourlong series depicts a Southern gothic-tinged, gun-free, godless America long after a great war, where seven barons rule the feudal lands with unsentimental ruthlessness enforced by armies of fighters called Clippers. And, to paraphrase Blade Runner, if you’re not Clipper, you’re little people.

Among the greatest of Clippers is Wu’s Sunny, who serves the Baron Quinn, played like ultimate Amish evil by the too-often-overlooked Marton Csokas. Add to the mix a war brewing among the Barons and the newly empowered Widow, portrayed with icy cool by Emily Beecham, and you have an upside-down world about to flip even more. On top of that, there’s the mysterious and powerful M.K. (Aramis Knight), a young man Sunny saves and brings on as his protégé, and you have journey of change on many levels.​

I've caught up watching the first two episodes and it looks like a pretty decent action show with a bit of mysticism thrown in. It is not explained why martial arts & swords are the preferred fighting choice when, even though it is a post-apocalypse world (thanks to a war) there is still electricity and industrial capabilities. Looking past that though and you're left with a decent big-budget action drama that looks like it'll be interesting.

If anybody missed S1, there'll be a S1 marathon on Friday, Dec 30.

S2 is slated for the Spring of 2017.

Half and half on this one, the end of season 1 certain ensures viewing of the first couple of episodes of season 2.

I loved Bruce Lee films, David Carridine, and the other old school films. I learned a few moves when I was a youngin, it worked LOL!!!!

Mind blowingly good - Lots of action and excitement - You won't fall asleep during this series.

Might not be recommended for young kids as it gets very violent at times.

It takes place in a dystopian future and I think the lack of guns was explained by guns having been outlawed sometime in the past. The motorcycles, cars and trucks might have survived - Of course we might wonder where they get the parts and fuel - But this is sci-fi so anything is possible, right?

If you like exciting action/sci-fi and are also a martial arts fan you must see it!

It stars Daniel Wu:

"Wu developed an interest in martial arts when he saw Jet Li in The Shaolin Temple and Donnie Yen in Iron Monkey,[2] and consequently began studying wushu at age 11.[6] His childhood role model was Jackie Chan,[5] a man who now considers Wu "like a son"....." {from Wikipedia}

On April 25, 2017, AMC renewed the series for a 16-episode third season, which premiered on April 22, 2018.

Into the Badlands Season 3: 'Join Us or Die' Official Trailer

It takes place in a dystopian future and I think the lack of guns was explained by guns having been outlawed sometime in the past. The motorcycles, cars and trucks might have survived - Of course we might wonder where they get the parts and fuel - But this is sci-fi so anything is possible, right?
I've been enjoying the show but the fuel thing gets me as well. If I remember correctly, though, last season it deal with the other Barons and one of them was producing fuel.

The types of vehicles shown so far is pretty diverse so I've been trying to figure out where, geographically, the show might be taking place in the dystopian future. I'm thinking either Ireland or the UK.

I've been enjoying the show but the fuel thing gets me as well. If I remember correctly, though, last season it deal with the other Barons and one of them was producing fuel.

The types of vehicles shown so far is pretty diverse so I've been trying to figure out where, geographically, the show might be taking place in the dystopian future. I'm thinking either Ireland or the UK.

It's obvious - It takes place in SCI-FI LAND, that's in a parallel universe just over the rainbow.

Anyone notice the name of the boat on Sundays episode of Into the Badlands ?
1528161051406630536490.jpg

Well, dang. When Badlands returns to air for the 2nd half of its 3rd season, that'll be the end of series. :(

And the series finale has come & gone. :(

They wrapped up the "Pilgrim" story line, along with a few other loose threads, but they left it open-ended. It's not like they didn't have enough notice that the series was ending and didn't have time to do a full closure episode so maybe they're just leaving it open enough for somebody else to pick it up (like Amazon or Netflix).
Anybody else notice the quarter close-up shot? Yep, good ol' George Washington so if the prevailing theory is that this was supposed to be an alternate verse then people were duplicated as well and not just physical items like the cars.

Obviously the writers, and others {including me} want it to continue.

The picture of the kid with a gun at the end tells you where they want to go.

In the reboot, if there is a reboot, there will be guns.

Maybe more like a dystopian sci-fi Western with super gun fighters instead of martial artists ?

But, then again, with all the nuts with guns in today's world only the NRA would sponsor it !