Into the West

Existentialist

Entertainment Moderator
Anyone else watching it?

I started watching this weekend and was intrigued, so I downloaded the first two "episodes" (the third episode showed this weekend). Interesting cast, including Keri Russell in the second episode (dunno if she'll show up in any of the others). Also in the cast are Sean Astin, Josh Brolin, Rachael Leigh Cook, Christian Kane (from Angel), Derek de Lint (who guest starred on an ep of Alias), and Skeet Ulrich.

I think it does a good job in showing the greed of the white man (during the gold rush, especially) and the respect the American Indians show for nature. It's not biased, however... white men are also showed as compassionate. I can't wait to see more.

I haven't watched it, but my grandfather has been watching and taping it faithfully since the beginning, and my friend's cousin (Tyler Posey--Jennifer Lopez's son in Maid in Manhattan) is on the episode that's showing this weekend, playing the character Abe, and according to my friend, "He's playing the son of one of the main characters...". I'm not much into the western shows and such, but I've heard great things about it, and I'm thrilled to know that is isn't biased! We need more of that nowadays. :smiley:

my mom is obsessed with this show, she's been recording it every week. My step-dad is into to it too. so whenever i'm at their house, they're always talking about it. :rolleyes:

The last episode aired this weekend... it explained a lot about Wounded Knee and the Ghost Dance.

It makes me sad that more people didn't watch this - I suppose it's because it was on TNT, which isn't exactly the most popular station (and it's cable and not everyone has cable). I hope that's the main reason, not that people simply don't care about how the west was really "won." I was never that interested in American Indian history until I read Barbara Kingsolver's The Bean Trees, and the sequel, Pigs in Heaven. Then last year, I read Lakota Woman, by Mary Crow Dog, which is an autobiography of a Lakota woman (obviously) around the time of the revival of the Ghost Dance. It's sad that these people are losing their culture - every generation, there are fewer and fewer people who speak their language and keep the traditions of their tribe. But more important, the different cultures are interesting.

I've watched this every Sunday and now I only have the finale to watch.

There's been really no good new shows this summer except for this (and Rescue Me, but that's not new). I have really liked this series, it's been great for Sunday nights. The 2-hour format is awesome and if you watch it commercial-free, it's great.

It's actually been good enough to watch a second and third time, which I'll probably do at one point or another.

Maybe I'll even buy the DVD set.

Official site

One of my friends was talking about how she and her boyfriend loved this and I couldn't figure out why I hadn't heard of it. Now I know why - it's on TNT. Damn lack of cable TV. :pout: