Intruments

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know all of the different intruments but I love learning about them so in case there are other people out there with the same interest I started this so that each person that posts can put a new intrument in and we can all learn new intruments since so many of us are from different countries. I'll start with an easy one:

Guitar..........

Harmonica (Mouth organ, harp)
Harmonica.jpg

My mum plays it well. It's a cool sound. ;) (I have no idea why I used the winky one!)

Jai

cello (I want to learn how to play it, it looks cool and sounds neat)
big string thing with 4 strings, use a bow to play it and to play different notes you use different fingerings which changes the resonance or resonant frequency so you here a different sound. It looks like a big violin, but has a deeper sound.

Pianos:

Grand - The big black ones, sound holes around edge to project the sound, the be miked up you put the microphones pointing down and towards the sound holes. 1 by the shorter strings (high pitched sounds) and 1 by the longer strings (low pitched noises)

Upright- The smaller, cheaper and more common ones. The strings are upright rather than length ways and the sound is projected out of the back. To mike up, you open the top and position mics above the piano.

Electric - Even more common, even more cheap, generally but not neccesarily smaller. No strings, sound is created digitially still using hammers. No miking up required, either mic up the piano's external speakers or DSI the sound straight to the mixing desk.

Synth - Very varied in price and size... see the 1980's for excessive use. The sound can be altered on the keyboard. Good ones have, attack, response, decay and reverb controls. Great ones have more controls. The only real way to record it is to DSI the sound

I am a Music Tech guy, ask me how to record an instrument and I will tell you

^ He he...you'd get on with my dad Jack! He's a musician, and I guess he must do stuff on computers with it; common quote = "F off, I'm recording something.". Seriously, his room is a studio, and he has a lock on it whenever he goes out. And I mean if he goes to the toilet, he locks it! *extraness alert!!!*

My next instument:

Double Bass

dick.gif

That be my maternal Granddad. He was in a band called the Chris Barber Jazz Band for almost ten years. He played double bass. I don't know much about it, except it's as big as a person, and really pretty lookin'.

Jai

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Next Instrument ~ Saxophone</span>

sgalto1.jpg

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>There are four main types of Saxophone ~

Alto ~ Most common saxophone, probably the easiest of the four, I play this one.

Tenor ~ Bigger saxophone than the alto, lower notes, key signature b flat.

Soprano ~ Straight not curved saxophone, higher notes.

Baritone ~ Huge saxophone, very heavy, very curved, very low notes.
</span>

Sabella said:
<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Next Instrument ~ Saxophone</span>

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>There are four main types of Saxophone ~

Alto ~ Most common saxophone, probably the easiest of the four, I play this one.

Tenor ~ Bigger saxophone than the alto, lower notes, key signature b flat.

Soprano ~ Straight not curved saxophone, higher notes.

Baritone ~ Huge saxophone, very heavy, very curved, very low notes.
</span>
[post="1043814"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
My mum used to play saxophone all the time...then she had me, and kinda stopped. I've set her the target of getting back on track by the end on the year. It's silver, and beautiful, and really stinks when polished! I can't remember which type it is, but I don't think it's an Alto one, as when I was *meant* to start learning saxaphone at school(which never happened), the teacher said that her saxophone wouldn't be suitble.

Next one:
triangle.jpg

The humble triangle.
Commonly seen at:School nativity plays
Used for: A constant banging to any teachers. ;)

Jai

next one:
Charango

charango.jpg

it's something like a little version of a guitar. originally made in south american out of the carapace of an armadillo. nowadays only made out of wood like normal guitars. it's much louder than a normal one and the notes are higher.

the bassoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A fantastic instrument, though it's an endangered species (not many people play it :( will make my work easier though i suppose) Not many people know about it if they're not musicians, but it's found in orchestras and bands. I have a lot of friends who know it as a farting bedpost, and know the people that play the bassoon as log suckers... but this is because the bassoon sounds terrible if you can't play it. However, if you can play it, well, then it sounds absolutely gorgeous, and has this wonderful earthy tone to it. They're really expensive too, my brand new beginner instrument was £2000. i think professional instruments cost about £10,000. (i picked an expensive one) Some really (really really) famous bassoon pieces are the sorcerer's apprentice (the mickey mouse bit in the film fantasia) and Hall of the Mountain King (Alton Towers theme tune, i think) and teddy bears picnic (you've gotta know that one)
There's a pic on: http://www.geocities.com/manawatuconcertba...rge/bassoon.jpg

There's also the contra-bassoon (or, annoyingly, also known as the double bassoon *throws name on the floor and stamps on it* i hate that name, everyone should call them contra bassoons.....) which is also a bassoon (surprise surprise) but it's about twice the size, and folds over itself a bit more. The bell faces down towards the floor instead of towards the ceiling like normal bassoons. Here's a pic:
http://www.nantasyfantasy.com/webpics12_03/contrabasson.jpg
They're fantastic instruments, though the fingerings are slightly different to the bassoon. They can make the floor shake :D

Then there's mini bassoons!!! These are basically normal bassoons, but half the size. So they're just an octave higher, but you can't go as high. They were mainly made for little kids to start learning (hands wouldn't be big enough for the normal bassoon) but there wasn't enough demand so they stopped making them :'( i really want one of those aswel...

anyway, as you can tell, i could go on for aaaaaaaages about bassoons. If you wanna know anymore, let me know :smiley: also, if no one else replies for ages, i can tell you about the flute too, and the picc, cus i play them too :D

Hehe.

French Horn....Beautiful and soft sound

-The french horn has 3 valves, circular coils of narrow tubing flaring at the one end to a wide bell, and a funnel-shaped mouthpiece that is for the horn's soft, mellow tone.

french061lq.gif

Violin!

Smallest of the four string instruments in orchestra, the violin is played useing the bow, or by plucking the strings with fingertips. It has four strings, G,D,A,E, G being the lowest notes E being the highest. The violin also has the highest sound of the orchestra strings. Fingers are placed on the strings at different points to create specific notes.

anywho, it's fun to play, and if you want to learn more about instruments, i suggest you find a cd of Britten's, A Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra. It goes through all the different instruments and has a narrator talk about them. It's pretty kool.

on the topic of saxophone.....there contrabass too which is massive and theres sporanino and subcontrabass which is 7 foot tall...its uber cool lol!! (i play sax lol...)

and more instruments....lets have a DJEMBE... its a type of african drum (i learnt it in music) :lol:

Flute
A long tube-like instrument that you use all digits but the right thumb to play. It has three pieces that you put together. It has a fairly different embouchure from other instruments, and you play it by blowing into the mouthpiece. It has a higher sound, and usually gets a lot of the main part in band pieces (in my experience) :D. I got told once that flautists are usually good at whistling. :confused:

Piccolo
Exactly like the flute, but it's smaller and plays an octave higher. It's shrill enough that, with the higher notes, you can usually hear it over the whole band. Also fun to annoy people with by playing shrill notes and blowing their eardrums out. :sly:

Speaking of flutes there's also the alto flute, the bass flute, and the contrabass flute. The contrabass goes down to the floor. That's one big flute, dude. Another thing about flute is that you can sing while playing it. So I can actually be in harmony with myself. :D

dulcimer, it's a string/percussion instrument, and laid out flat, like a harp laid down. you use sticks? i don't know what you call them to gently (or not) strike the strings. here's a pic:
link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back