Irina's mission? What-ifs

V

verdantheart

Given Irina's revelation that she was imprisoned (as Jack was) under suspicion of treason, I had an interesting thought. What if, just as Sloane had set off from the CIA to join The Alliance and form SD-6, Cuvee set off from the KGB to join or form his own intelligence organization? Sloane was Jack's boss; Cuvee was Irina's boss . . . And what if, just as Sloane asked Jack to join him, knowing that he had few opportunities at the CIA, Cuvee asked Irina to join him, knowing that she had few opportunities at the KGB (she might even have had to stage a believable escape, thereby memorizing mine locations, etc.)? Both Irina and Jack were pretty much forced into accepting unpleasant undercover missions that tied them to a person that they would rather not be tied to. The symmetry is rather appealing . . .

And Cuvee, as Irina's superior during the time when she was undercover on her mission stealing secrets from Jack, would have had access to any bugged conversations between Jack and "Laura"/Irina, and probably access to any evidence that she might have had more feelings for him than she might profess to have as an undercover agent. That might explain the extreme jealousy he expressed towards Jack, and--if he were to turn out to be The Man or a higher-up in the organization--explain why Haladki was instructed to expose Jack and Sydney, thereby endangering their lives.

How would Irina's mission have been affected by the break-up of the USSR, which happened during this 20-year period? Was she lost in the shuffle, deep under cover?

What do you think? Like it, hate it? Think it's possible?

Verrrry interesting... I like that idea. It makes Irina seem like not so much of a monster.

Along those lines, I was trying to think of a way to explain Irina's faked death. They were being chased by FBI agents when the car went off the road, right? But what if, as you said, Irina was working for Cuvee and he started to get jealous of her real affection for Jack and Sydney? Could he have been a threat to them? Is it possible that Irina was trying to protect them by leaving and returning to the KGB? Maybe she thought that the only way to keep Sydney safe was to make Cuvee think that she had made a complete break with her?

Obviously, I'm one of those people who REALLY wants Irina to be good. It really is unimaginable that someone could raise a child for 6 years and not love her enough to do anything to protect her. But it's hard to speculate given the meager discussion of her motives that we've had so far.

Wow- interesting and somewhat ironic parallel between Jack/Sloan and Irina/Cuvee. I like it!

However, it is hard for me to view Cuvee as the jealous type. To do so would imply that he actually cared for Irina. I doubt that. I think that in Passage Part II it was more male pride-he was showing off to Jack.

With that said, it is quite plausible that Irina was forced to leave in order to protect Syd and Jack, but not because of Cuvee's jealousy. I like the idea that the KGB became suspicious of Irina. Maybe she stopped giving the KGB information or was stalling? I read a fanfic (man! I am ridiculously hooked on this show!) where Irina's mom (the "earring grandmother") was killed by the KGB because Irina was not cooperating. I think this would be a totally cool storyline that would show the reason behind Irina's leaving and bring back the significance of the earrings.

I really do hope that the writers make it so that Irina has always done what she thought was best for Jack and Syd. She does not have to be a saint (Jack sure isn't). I will find an "Irina loved and loves her family" storyline much more interesting than an "evil" Irina.

Who knows though? Irina is still very mysterious. Why has she not explained herself more? Is it because "truth takes time" and no one is ready to listen? What were her motivations for turning herself in? Does she have some sort of master plan? What is Sark up to? Why is Sydney not questioning her mom more?

So many questions and loose ends. The story could go so many ways-my head hurts just thinking about it!

I have no idea whether what I suggest holds any water! (That's what makes this speculation so fun!) But one thing's for sure, and that's that Irina is a complex woman. Thinking further along these lines, Irina's actions (having patient zero injected with the virus, etc.) would be explained by the fact that she must do these things or blow her cover (as Jack has probably assassinated men to protect his own)--all these bad actions required by the necessity of achieving a greater end (the destruction of The Alliance/The Man's org.).

I can't say I'm a big reader of fanfic, though--although I'm writing a little piece as an exercise, mostly to get an idea out of my head so that I can get back to my own fiction (drat how other people's characters take over my imagination sometimes!--Just kidding, I like it, but it does keep me from finishing what I'm working on!). Perhaps I should take a look to see how people have speculated.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Wow! Last night's ep brings so many possiblities.

Anyone have any theories/speculation as to how Irina fits into all of this?

I don't think Irina is in her cell. I think she was moved, perhaps to Langley for some reason. If she knew what had happened to Jack, she might be tempted to do something rash. She is becoming fond of him, in spite of what he almost did to her. She loves Sydney, that's evident, and would do a lot for her, especially if Sloane reappears...or Sark tries anything.

ya didnt she move somewhere else i thought she did. since they are using her for bait then now everyones going to know she s alive

Let's see. She was working with Sark, so he already knew she was alive. And Sloane was on the commission that determined that Irina had faked her death and kept that determination from Jack for over 20 years, so I'd guess that he knows that she's alive too. And even if he didn't, Sydney told him that she thought Irina was alive. Who doesn't know that she's alive that they need to keep the secret from? The secret is that she's being held by the US gov't.
;)

The thot processes muddle along and then there's another wild idea and imagination - a light bulb -turns on with more questions for us to answer about IRina. The writers have no doubt made her as complex as Jack, but we lack information, especially the 20 year period from the time she left Jack until she turns up in Taipei.

We know about her heading up a crime organization that supposedly was powerful among crime cartels. We also know that hers destroyed the K-Directorate and FTP cell.

SHe supposedly has several pieces of the Rambaldi artifacts and somewhere in one of the episodes was called an expert in the field. When did she begin being The Man? After prison or after the breakup of the USSR? I think she was placed somewhere within the KGB administration or training school, probably the latter, especially with her English skills.

I think she began the criminal organization around 1992 and here's the fun part, for any number of reasons we could play with as we study her.

I also don't think Cuvee runs her. Where was he when she was put in prison? If he was her supervisor, he should have been there at the beginning to get her freed. I mean it was 1982 and the KGB was up a running its games with Yuriy Andropov as its Director. It was not disbanded until about 91-92 when the USSR broke up SO do we assume ??? Cuvee was no longer in the KGB? I think not!! He was there
probably more than a supervisor.

I know she says that Cuvee was in the other room the night she shot Sydney and that she did it to save them both. Wasn't Cuvee there to buy the Red Ball that Vaughn and Sydney destroyed? I think the writers just put that in...I sometimes get crazy with inconsistancies that are perpetrated on us. Sorry, but they do it. Maybe too many story lines to keep functioning. :rolleyes:

But then nothing is as it seems. :cool:

Love this show! :rolleyes:

Just an addendum to the above..

Cuvee was proud of the fact that he had sent Irina to marry Jack. As usual his male testosterone was in full bloom, so why not boast he had set IRina up as The Man to run a crime cartel? He had the expectation that Jack would soon be dead!! Just a thought. -_-

I think a lot what all you said makes sense. It seems like you put A LOT of thought into it. I just hope that she's not evil!

Back