Iron Man

Robert Downey Jr. to Star in 'Iron Man'

Monday , October 02, 2006

Robert Downey Jr. will star as the latest Marvel Comics superhero to hit the big screen.

Downey will play the title character in "Iron Man," a film directed by Jon Favreau. Filming is scheduled to begin in February, with the movie due in theaters in May 2008. It will be the first feature film produced independently by Marvel Entertainment.

"(Downey's) versatility sets him apart and makes him an ideal fit to play such a complex character as Iron Man," said Kevin Feige, president of production for Marvel Studios.

"Iron Man" is the story of billionaire industrialist and inventor Tony Stark, who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Instead, he builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes, vowing to protect the world as a superhero.

Downey most recently starred in Richard Linklater's adaptation of Philip K. ----'s "A Scanner Darkly," and can be seen in "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints," currently in theaters.

"Iron Man" will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

--------

I am not so sure about Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, but I look forward to this feature film. X-Men and Iron Man were my two favorite comics as a kid.

Yeah I kinda agree with you navarre... I like Robert Downey Jr. as an actor, but Iron Man does seem a bit of a stretch. I have visions of another Ben Affleck as Daredevil fiasco rearing its ugly head again. Perhaps I'm just so used to seeing him as a good indie flick actor that a mainstream comic book character movie doesn't really play to his strengths in my view.

When I first started reading this, I was thinking of DC's Steel, and I was like "Didn't they already make that movie with Shaq? Wow, I guess they want to take the character in a completely different direction, or something..." Then i dawned on me that I was stupid.

I wonder if Hawkeye or War Machine will be in it? I always liked Hawkeye the most out of those three... which makes it kind of suck that I don't remember if that's even his name, or if I'm just having M*A*S*H flashbacks...

Evran said:
Yeah I kinda agree with you navarre... I like Robert Downey Jr. as an actor, but Iron Man does seem a bit of a stretch. I have visions of another Ben Affleck as Daredevil fiasco rearing its ugly head again. Perhaps I'm just so used to seeing him as a good indie flick actor that a mainstream comic book character movie doesn't really play to his strengths in my view.

Affleck as Daredevil.. Ugh. Yea.

I still picture Robert Downey Jr. as Ian from Weird Science. Although, he does fit the drunken/addict part quite well. Did Tony Stark ever break into anyone's house?

navarre said:
Affleck as Daredevil.. Ugh. Yea.

I still picture Robert Downey Jr. as Ian from Weird Science. Although, he does fit the drunken/addict part quite well. Did Tony Stark ever break into anyone's house?

I heard on TV that the movie won't touch on Stark's seedier side because of Downey's problems. Seems kind of stupid to cast an actor whose presence only forces the writers to water down his character, but hey, what do I know?

That does sound stupid, Az. I'd kick Downey in the shin and force him to do it anyway, assault charges be damned! I'd be like "Stop whining and grow up, you big baby!", and he'd have to do as I said. Yeah...

Toned down?

Does this mean Iron Man won't be snorting lines and doing shots before he goes out to save the world?

Robert Downey Jr = Iron Man

sorry this is the image it conjured up in my mind when I read that.

Downey Jr. is PERFECT for Iron Man.

Iron Man is dogged by demons just like Downey Jr. is.

If any actor is going to understand the complexity of Tony Stark, it's him.

Back