Is it possible?

It came to my attention that it would be possible to house everyone who needs a home in America. All the homeless, all the low income, everyone could live in decent, crime free housing in the form of condominiums.

In the 60s, they had the same idea and built the projects. However, we could change the rules. Recreate these condos and make them modern and then give away free housing for everyone who wants it in exchange for a commitment. We would require the owner guard the condo where we live against property crime. We would require they check up on the elderly and disabled and go shopping for them. We would require they learn to fix and then fix simple plumbing and electrical problems.. We would require they do bi-annual painting of all interiors and exteriors. In exchange, all housing would be free.

We give prisoners free housing don't we?

The cost to build these condos is minimal, maybe $7,000 per unit if done en-mass. Drywall is dirt CHEAP and that is 90 percent of the material in a house or condo!!! How do I know? I am a licensed property adjuster and deal with this stuff every day.

The owner would be responsible for insurance, condo fee and local property taxes. Since the condo is worth $7,000 these fees should be minimal and could be paid for by a part time job working just a few hours a week. Those who couldn't work could pay due to disability could pay with their government subsidies. This would also pay for regular security guards (bouncers) of each condo to take care of anyone who didn't belong.

What happens if they do not abide by the rules? There would be a condo board and they would get kicked out. It would definitely be in their best interest to cooperate. We can do this.

Sure this could be done IF; those people would want to live decent lives to begin with...Apart from some individuals who became homeless after a series of unfortunate events and who sincerely try to have their lives back, most of the homeless community consist of lunatics/people who don't want to work at all/alcoholics...etc. These people mainly just want to sit on a wheelchair and operate it with their perfectly healthy feet and ask for money claiming that they are hungry. When they ask for money saying that they are hungry I always go and buy them food. Let me tell you what happens. They never ever eat it! They either throw it to the street looking at my face maliciously or wait a couple of seconds for me to turn my back to get going and throw it away as soon as they think I am gone. I never understood this. Hell even if you are not hungry at the exact moment you will be in a couple of hours, so why are you throwing it away? It is hard to separate the unfortunate people and the crazy ones who just loves to be a dirt on the street. Still it is a great idea for the ones who are willing to work and get their lives back.

Back