Is Sloane Good or Bad?

You think shooting someone up with a drug that causes them go to into convulsions and leaves them exhausted and weak, with arms covered with needle marks, isn't harmful? Nadia could have have gone into cardiac or respiratory arrest. She could also have broken bones (when someone is in convulsions, you do not restrain them, for that reason). He can say he's sorry all he wants, but he's not so sorry that he stops what he's doing. He stopped Sark and Lauren, but it's his fault Nadia was in that situation to begin with. He was just smart enough to realize that if Nadia was given an overdose, she might die before she could give them what they wanted. I attribute no noble motives whatsoever to him.

And as for Irina shooting Sydney, what did she think she was going to do if Sydney had been unable to escape and bled to death? And as for her showing up at the skating rink, what did she think Sydney would do after Irina's actions prior to that? She is a resourceful woman; she should have found a way to contact Sydney that wouldn't have involved having to hurt her.

When you love someone, you put their best interests first. You don't hurt them for your own selfish reasons. I was upset enough at Irina for hurting Sydney, but what Sloane did was downright offensive. Just because these two psychopaths haven't killed their children -- yet -- does not make them candidates for parents of the year. They should be protecting their children, not injuring them. Their actions are inexcusable. I no longer have the slightest sympathy for either of them. :angry:

The difference between Sloane (and probably Irina) and Jack is that Jack would refuse to put his daughter (or probably any innocent) through such a procedure to obtain information--I can only think of one possible exception: if he thought Sydney's life depended on that information. He would not do it for his own life, for his country, or for his faith. (Probably part of the reason why Sloane calls him an atheist.)
;)

I think JJ Abrams is brilliant! I mean, we don't know for sure whether Sloane is evil or if he actually changed. There's an air of mystery surrounding him. I find that intriguing! I think a person can forgive him to a certain extent, while at the same time not forgetting all he's done in the past (and who knows...what he'll still do).

*Shadow*

This past season certainly showed us a different side of Sloane, didn't it? I *still* can't believe he shot Nadia. I know why he did it, but still, it was a very shocking Alias moment.

I'll always think Sloane's ultimate goal is to fulfill whatever ultimate Rambaldi mission/prophecy there is. However, I do think that his ultimate goal is in constant conflict with his love for certain people in his life...like Emily, Jack, Syd and Nadia.

BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD, that's all there is 2 it :blink: !! He can't do anything to make him good. He will always be the crazy Rambaldi guy!

~Andrea :angelic:

Well, he wasn't that crazy Rambaldi guy last season. Even Syd recognized that.

Though I have no doubt in mind that he'll be very tempted to become the Evil, puppet-master genius that we all love and hate.

Sloane is hard to firuge out.he remains me one of my favorite book series thug.He is both evil and cruel,and somepoint some good sides,withhim,he did save jacks live once and protects both sydney and nadia.I agree with tippinlover, he is tempted to go back his evil ways,but havent done that yet.

I still think that Sloane wants to be good, but he is being forced by circumstances to play a balancing act between Dean & the Prophet 5 people and Jack & his APO colleagues in order to find a cure for Nadia. It would be too simple for Sloane to be bad. Does anyone think that Dean could ever out-maneuver Arvin? Sloane is either using Dean, or he is playing both sides until he is forced to make a commitment.

Arvin wants to be good to live up to Nadia's expectation, but he'll do bad if it will provide a cure for her. Isn't it a better storyline to see how he struggles to balance wanting to be reformed and cooperating with Dean to get a cure for Nadia, than to say that Sloane is bad again?

I think that Sloane always didn't like having to do evil things. When he had to tell Sydney about how he tortured a Dr. Chaleb in Season 4's 'Detente', Sloane looked ashamed of what he did. I think even when he was bad, he tried to do the least harmful way first before resorting to more extreme methods.

Jack hopes that Sloane is reformed, but is watching for unmistakable signs that Arvin has turned bad. Dixon suspects that Sloane isn't reformed, but is willing to wait for proof. Dixon said that at least having Sloane so close will enable them to keep a closer eye on him.

In episode 5.05 - Out of the Box, Sloane has resorted to using blackmail to get rejoin APO. Does this mean that he's turned evil again? I saw the blackmail as a grey area. Sloane tried to show Senator Lewis how valuable that he would be with his knowledge and resources, first. He was hoping that he could persuade her based on his merit. The senator says that she doubts that he is motivated by patriotism. Arvin admits that his agenda is Nadia and using APO's resources to find a cure. In exchange he'll do anything the government wants. The woman sympathises about Nadia, but she can't put him back with a good conscience. Senator Lewis says that if she had her way, he'd still be in prison. She suggests that he find another way.

Reluctantly Arvin results to veiled threats. He shows her a photo of the woman's daughter and photos taken from inside their home. Sloane wonders how she ever hope to keep her safe at all. The girl comes up to ask if her mother saw her routine. Arvin complements the girl for skating like an angel. Then he thanks the senator in advance for her support.

So the greyness of the situation is he doesn't say that he'll do anything. There is the implication, for sure, but he could be bluffing - after all, he doesn't want to do anything that Nadia wouldn't want. Sloane has reformed for Nadia AND because of his psychological guilt. At his hearing, Arvin explains he had a misguided attempt to pursue a higher power (Rambaldi). He doesn't attempt to deny his wrongdoings. Sloame explains that his love for Nadia has changed by life. He is now dedicated to atoning for his sins. I think that is genuine.

Sloane is reluctant to use the threat. He hopes that the senator will give in, so he won't have to make the decision whether or not to carry out the threat. Arvin may or may not be willing to do what ever it takes to save his beloved daughter. But if he is, it isn't for self-serving purposes like for power. It is for parental love. I think that he is tormented on what to do. Sloane is capable of putting the greater good ahead of his love for Nadia - he shot her in Russia, trying to wound, but aware that he might kill her.

Arvin Sloane is meant to be an interesting, three dimensional character by the writers and that is how Ron Rifkin plays him. If people simply see him as evil, I think that they are missing the point. 🕵

Anyone agree with me? :thinking:

EVIL!!!! He is evil. He has betrayed them too many times, and I think Jack was justified in shooting at him in the S4 finale!! Sloane is like a rat or a weasel always ready to let others be his fall guy. I've just never liked him

In "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People," Stephen Covey talks about what he calls the "emotional bank account" in a relationship. Acts of kindness and thoughtfulness deposit into the account, while acts of betrayal, bullying, and the like withdraw from it. Sloane's account is seriously overdrawn. If he really has reformed, he hasn't yet even begun to make up the deficit. I only hope that Jack still refuses to trust him.

You can't deny that Sloane isn't Dean's puppet now. The last episode showed that Sloane was giving minimum cooperation. And now that Dean was foolish enough to imply a threat to Nadia, Sloane is going to squash him like a bug. He's probably going to tell Jack (and perhaps the rest of the APO) and team up with him/them to get Dean.

Jack does trust Arvin, though he probably doesn't know that Dean is trying to use him against the CIA, yet. Who do you think appointed Sloane as Deputy Director of APO? Jack of course. :D

Sloane has done more to pay back his debt to society than Irina. Sloane made the deal with the government to use his knowledge and resources in whatever way they see fit. What has Irina done to pay amends for her murders and crimes?

bad, bad, bad.......very bad
Sloane is more than bad, he is evil and he enjoys it, he lied to his wife for years, and cheated on her, he betrayed his "best friend" in the worst possible way and never apologized for it, he betrayed the people he worked with for years, he is a murderer, he pretended to be reformed when he was not, and he is still doing it

I hope that finally, Dixon will kick his ass, and I really don't think that Jack trusts him, he is not that stupid

You can't deny that Sloane isn't Dean's puppet now. The last episode showed that Sloane was giving minimum cooperation. And now that Dean was foolish enough to imply a threat to Nadia, Sloane is going to squash him like a bug. He's probably going to tell Jack (and perhaps the rest of the APO) and team up with him/them to get Dean.

Jack does trust Arvin, though he probably doesn't know that Dean is trying to use him against the CIA, yet. Who do you think appointed Sloane as Deputy Director of APO? Jack of course. :D

Sloane has done more to pay back his debt to society than Irina. Sloane made the deal with the government to use his knowledge and resources in whatever way they see fit. What has Irina done to pay amends for her murders and crimes?

This is not about Irina, whom I don't trust an inch either. If she knows what's good for her, she'll just thank God she has such a forgiving ex-hubby and stay gone.

I still don't trust Sloane. I still find it impossible to believe that he would choose his allies (for want of a better word) at APO over something he wants. He's never done that before; why would he do it now? Trust is an extremely delicate thing -- very difficult, if not impossible, to repair once it's broken. If I actually knew someone as sociopathic as Sloane, I would just pray to God I never had something he wanted. I just hope Jack continues to keep his guard up around him. What will you say, SIO, when Sloane betrays Jack and Syd again? Trusting Sloane is like lending money to someone who has declared bankruptcy three times -- it's just too risky.

I trust Irina, much more than I trust Sloane, Irina paid "her debt" to her country while she was in Cashmere for treason, she doesn't owe the US anything, she did her job, just like Jack

I think Sloane is just faking it, he needs the CIA for something, namely, to get close to the bristows (Nadia being a Bristow) and to Rambaldi, he uses the governement knowledge and ressources for his own purpose, not the other way around

Irina has been away from her husband and from her children for 20 years, which is the worst thing that can happen to a woman, in my opinion

The storyline for Sloane could be very interesting. His character is open for so many things. For all we know he could work with Jack to bring down Gordon Dean, A man like Dean you don't just capture and put him in a cell for interrogation. You have to go after his true agenda, and find out what he really wants before you bring him down. Maybe that is Sloane's task this season?

Sloane did turn to Jack and the APO to destroy Dean as I predicted. And when Arvin was forced to kill Dean in oder to get Nadia the cure, he said "God, forgive me" which shows that he didn't want to do it out of evil, but out of his love for Nadia.

If Sloane does get the cure for Nadia, he will turn on "The Twelve" out of his desire to live up to her expectation.

Sloane wants to be reformed, but circumstances are forcing him to be a double agent. They way that Jack explained to Sydney about Gordon Dean's reason for suicide, I suspect that Arvin has already confided in Jack about his newest trouble.

As Arvin told Jack and Sydney, he considers them to be his family. :D

Back