Is Sloane Good or Bad?

He really does everything so save Nadia, and get her a cure. But what makes him diffrent from Jack? I belive Jack would to the same thing if it had been Sydney.

Happy New Year, everyone. :D

I look at Alias from a writer's point-of-view. 🕵

I thought the whole point of Sloane's relationship with Nadia was to enable him to reform. It comes from a practical need of the show, not a plot need of the storyline.

JJ and the writers said that having Sloane evil was a problem because it left him isolated from the rest of the cast. They valued Ron as a great actor and there was no way that they would eliminate him from the series.

After the end of SD-6, Arvin could make threats by telephone, computer, or by deeds, however the actor Ron Rifken couldn't interact with the rest of the cast unless he was there to make a face-to-face presentation OR one the agents was his prisoner or he was their prisoner. That kind of explanation about how Sloane meets with the good guys every episode as the enemy wasn't sustainable.

So JJ and the writers concluded if they had Arvin reform, then Ron could be part of the same group as the rest of the cast. The others could doubt him and he could have pressure to do bad things, but he would be reformed.

The writers decided that they could justify Sloane's reform out of the love for his daughter Nadia and by his guilty conscience/torment of doing bad things in the past.

The plot showed that Arvin's reform was doubted by Director Chase and the rest of APO. But enough time has past for Jack and the others to show that they believe he is redeemed out of love for Nadia.

Regardless of what crimes Sloane has done in the past, the show needs to have Arvin as a good guy so he can interact with Jack & Sydney. Having Sloane evil now that the series is ending is possible, but unlikely because people like to believe in redemption. Its human nature to believe that people CAN reform if they have the incentive. Nadia is that incentive. :grad:

It doesn't seem plotworthy of Alias to say that Sloane's character never progressed. The three main characters - Sydney, Jack and Arvin - have had personal growth. Naughn and the others weren't important enough to get time for character advancement. ;)

Back