Space Is space a waste of budget?

Many countries on this planet are always in bad times with their economies and budgeting. Everyone is always trying to cut costs and save money. So is space exploration something that is a waste of money? Could that money be used for something more practical? What are your thoughts on this issue?

Many countries on this planet are always in bad times with their economies and budgeting. Everyone is always trying to cut costs and save money. So is space exploration something that is a waste of money? Could that money be used for something more practical? What are your thoughts on this issue?
No, I think space exploration is interesting. Money could be cut elsewhere, like the billions that gets sent to other countries in aid when we really need to aid our own people first.

Even if we wanted to, I don't think we have it in us to make cuts when it comes to space exploration. The human kind is curious by nature and space, if I may be so bold as to quote star trek, is the final frontier. We don't know everything there is to know about earth but we find it less interesting compared to space. We don't really know anything at all.

Considering that at one point our planet will be uninhabitable in one way or another space exploration is in the long run vital for our survival. I don't know if you've heard about the Mars project that have been up for discussion lately but it's basically a project where they want to send four people (two men and two women) to Mars in an attempt to establish a civilization there. They're meant to build up housing and stuff and then reproduce. Later on if it's a success they'll be sending more etc... So no.. they really shouldn't take funds from the space programs. However they could probably be cooperating more which would certainly make it less expensive.

Imagine if all countries with active space programs actually combined forces, allowing them to cut down the funds that they're individually pouring into them, and actually working as one... Now that would be a dream...

Back