Politics Israel and the Middle East

What would you do, if you could talk to the leaders of Israel, Palestine, and the rest of the world?

• I would convince them that Israel deserves all the territory. Read the Torah...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Palestine. They are the ones that have the power and are growing in size much more quickly and shoul

• The UN should divide it up between the two.

• I would let them fight it out. The stronger one (which ever that is) will win in the end anyway.

• I wouldn't change anything. Negociations as they are right now are working just fine. Why do we need

• No opinion.

• None of the above.

• Total voters
well, israel offered to give the palestinians a state of their own so its obviously not an all or nothing attitude, unlike arafat who rejected this plan because it didnt give the palestinians all of israel.

hmm my dad's friend's daughter is studying in israel and my hebrew teacher was in the israeli army.. i think i have a cousin over there right now too.. :-/

yah that makes sense. and thats why israel has tried to create a place for all of the religions. right now

If thats the case. Why can't I go to Jerusalam. I'm Catholic and would love to go to Bethlehem and Jerusalam but can't because it will be too difficult to get insurance and the foreign office advises against non-essential travel.

You forget that last Christmas, Palestines were hiding out in the Birthplace of Christ at Bethlehem.

noggi16 said:
yah that makes sense. and thats why israel has tried to create a place for all of the religions. right now

If thats the case. Why can't I go to Jerusalam. I'm Catholic and would love to go to Bethlehem and Jerusalam but can't because it will be too difficult to get insurance and the foreign office advises against non-essential travel.

You forget that last Christmas, Palestines were hiding out in the Birthplace of Christ at Bethlehem.
i dont know what youre talking about...my friends just took a combined trip with jews, christians/catholics, and arabs and they all traveled to jerusalem.

wait, ANYONE can go to jerusalem, i was just talking about the western wall. im sure people would advise you against it because of the PALESTINIAN terrorists...but no ones stopping you. its definetely not as safe as it used to be, but if you really wanted to go you could.

Spirit said:
yea.. its deffinatly not as safe as it used to be.. i wish it was :(
me too!!! a couple years ago they cancelled my class trip. we went to georgie instead :blink: it was fun, but not as good as israel! im going next summer though AND IM SO EXCITED. OMG AND I JUST REMEMBER MY FRIEND JUST CAME HOME TODAY AFTER 4 MONTHS IN JERUSALEM!!! *runs off to call him!!*

MVhunny said:
well, israel offered to give the palestinians a state of their own so its obviously not an all or nothing attitude, unlike arafat who rejected this plan because it didnt give the palestinians all of israel.
then please explain why there are still Israelis in the Palestinians lands? and why are the Palestinians treated as second class citizens in their own lands? they have to be detained at checkpoints and such.

the_alliance said:
MVhunny said:
then please explain why there are still Israelis in the Palestinians lands? and why are the Palestinians treated as second class citizens in their own lands? they have to be detained at checkpoints and such.
wait, youre either not reading it, or im just not being very clear.

The un partition plan created two separate states. meaning all israelis would pull out of the settlements int he gaza strip and the west bank. ARAFAT REJECTED this plan, and therefore nobody moved away from the occupied territories.

and yes, they are stopped at checkpoints, but everyone in israel is required to stop at certain checkpoints, in malls, garages, they are checked before they get on buses...and just like in airports everyone is checked and there is some stereotyping when it comes to checking people there.

and second class citizens? at least they are citizens! besides jordan, no other ARAB country would even give palestinians citizenship!

and risk it?

All we ever hear about is suicide bombers and terroist attacks. I lived with that all my life because the IRA. They blew up my home city on my birthday.

If the FO tell us its not safe we dont go.

noggi16 said:
and risk it?

All we ever hear about is suicide bombers and terroist attacks. I lived with that all my life because the IRA. They blew up my home city on my birthday.

If the FO tell us its not safe we dont go.
ok but thats different then what someone else was saying. israel isnt telling non israelis they cant come. quite the contrary, they need tourists to stimulate the economy!!

its a personal choice one has to make about the safety situation. and it is nerve racking to go somewhere with such a risky situation. but israel isnt stopping anyone from going.

everyone should go if they can!!! its an amazing place...and there are ways to go and be safe. dont go on public buses, DONT HITCHHIKE...be aware of your surroundings.

*gets really excited that there's another alias nftyite*
what region are you from?
I'm in Northern...and I'm a meitav fellow now too. feel free to PM me as i'm totally aware that this is waaay off topic...

on the topic:
I'm getting really upset with people trying to tell me that the Jews are simply a religious group, which is obviously not the case, and someone today tried to tell me that Theodore Herzl wasn't jewish. hello? have they ever met a Herzl who was a goy?

As for going to Israel, I think it's more important that diaspora jews go now than it is when it's safe there, and I think it's a risk that people should be willing to take. I'll be spending my fall semester of junior year in israel on NFTY EIE (im a rising soph now)...and i didnt think twice about the safety situation (though of course my parents did)...I just feel that terrorists have no right to de-strengthen my personal connection to my homeland.

who else besides you sarah is NFTY? im USY baby all the way, FAR WEST REGION
but im allitle :eek:fftopic: what do you think of the pullout plan? and what about the road map
i personally believe the roadmap is full of $hit as are the geneva accords

go uth groups *sings regional far west usy song*

i can really only explain the connection i have with israel as a jew, without ever even having been there by sharing an experience that happened to a friend of mine regarding Christian faith. He's a rabbinical student in Cincinatti (HUC-JIR) and was getting his hair cut in the part of the city where Jews are few and far between. This happened the week The Passion was released. His barber asked him, "Have you seen "the movie"? My friend had seen The Passion with a group of Jews, and although he would much rather have simply gotten a hair cut, engaged in a discussion with his fundamentalist christian barber about the historical accuracy of the movie. Eventually, all the barber could say was, "I just believe."
Sometimes it's hard to understand from the outside, but belief, and the type of connection i have with eretz yisrael fall in the same category. They're the type of abstract things that you can't detonate or blow up no matter how many bombings take place. We can argue statistics, but we can't argue faith.

youth groups all the way. Spirit mentioned NFTY, more specifically NFTY tshirts, i could quote....but i'm too lazy. anyways, i think the partition plan is outdated, and that a strong leader needs to emerge from both sides (actually, sharon isnt doing too bad right now with the disengagement plan...Palestinians on the other hand...) and they need to make a NEW partition plan that realistically assesses where the largest amount of settlers are living, and plan a Palestinian state around that. Nothing too idealistic and crazy like Geneva and the Road Map.
My opinion about the road map: yeah. right.

**say whats ur name? say NFTY! gonna live and die N-F-T-Y!**
maybe we could create a jewish youth movement topic?!?

i could spend hours worth of typing and u reading telling you about our connections to israel we all feel it whether you have been or not but it truly is the greatest country ever
im sorry that you have never been home b4 (im not israeli though)

but we have a saying in usy about usy, but it can apply to Yisrael too
"from the outside looking in you could never understand;from the inside looking out you could never explain."

Hahahaha that's definitely a NFTY saying too. And it's definitely oh so true. I'm also sorry I've never been, but I'm going- and I CANT WAIT!

Sarah W said:
Hahahaha that's definitely a NFTY saying too. And it's definitely oh so true. I'm also sorry I've never been, but I'm going- and I CANT WAIT!
i cant wait to go either...ramah seminar is next summer though!!! im SO excited.

Im a NERUSY...new england regional USY!!

who tried to tell you that herzl wasnt jewish? i think that might be the funniest thing ever!

and yah Sarah W i agree. thats really, at least the beginning, of what needs to happen.

This girl in my class tried to tell me that. I actually did laugh. Hello? his name is freaking HERZL.
What's really pissing me off about hamatzav (the situation--the conflict) right now is the Palestinians pushing for a shared state solution. they've realized that since they make waaay more babies than the average Jewish Israeli family, pretty soon the Jews would be screwed. I think the UN needs to step in if people start thinking that a shared state is a viable solution...

Back