It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eatten by an NDA.

I absolutely, completely, irrevocably, and utterly approve of the comport and design of the aforementioned conception of information revelations through means of clever and non-absolute status confirmation via grammatical lacking and other such purposeful textual inaccuracies and sundry.

However, I regret to inform you that currently my sentence form, structure, grammar, and even pacing, are all spot-on, perfect, and utterly without failing, contrived or unintended. This status may, however, summarily change.

so do'nt give up hoep just yet! *winks*

~Dune~

I just calculated Dune's message. A character creator will be released on April 2nd of 2010, with live updates. Then HJ goes into beta on june 4th 2011, then a very fast transition to live on august 1st 2011.

The party will be held at the hard rock in Vegas on July 30th 2011. The GMs will have a party in room 2231, and managment will rent out all of the 23rd floor for it. Each room will have 5 65 inch LCD screen and state-of-the-art water-cooled PC. The suite, 2301 will have an open bar, a DJ, and a giant cake from which a scantily clad sorceress will pop out at exactly midnight.

Thanks for the update Dune! Stay tuned for more messages (I'll be careful to catch and decode them asap).

See you all at the Hard rock guys!

If you're working on the game and you can see all the coding that's behind it, does it sort of tarnish the game for you? Or do you think you could actually go play it as a normal character and have fun?

I'll give an example from Gemstone IV... DF Redux. We, as players, have a good idea of what our redux factor is if we have a few things hurt us with enough swings. But we have yet to nail down a definitive formula for it. If the coder who wrote that formula would play the game, wouldn't he not have that aspect of mystique?

If you're working on the game and you can see all the coding that's behind it, does it sort of tarnish the game for you? Or do you think you could actually go play it as a normal character and have fun?

I'll give an example from Gemstone IV... DF Redux. We, as players, have a good idea of what our redux factor is if we have a few things hurt us with enough swings. But we have yet to nail down a definitive formula for it. If the coder who wrote that formula would play the game, wouldn't he not have that aspect of mystique?

I ask myself that question all the time... Like thinking about the live game and not a development environment.

The answer is, I really don't know. On one hand I'll likely do it out of necessity as part of the on going process of making sure everything works smoothly, but I'm a gamer at heart so part of me just wants to play it to play it and not worry about the mechanics.

And as I've mentioned there really is a lot there I have not experienced so it'd be cool to do so as it was intended by the creators (the story and world GMs). Those folks are the creative ones, I'm just the make it work guy ;)

Which is kind of nice because I may know exactly how X system works, but I'm clueless about the content that's been put into it by my colleagues.

Being honest with myself though, HJ will likely be a project-child of mine that I will want to be working perfectly at all times, therefore I may see the live release of the game as a baby I need to take care of, and will always want to be around to fix things and add things as needed. And I'm pretty sure my job will get even busier then.

But there's no way to know what things will be like then, so I don't focus on it much. The thought has hit me though, and like all things... I figure I'll just wing it and see how it goes. :smiley:

Maybe that's why I don't poke and prod all over the place and just stick to my work. Then I don't ruin it for myself when I actually want to play it as a player, and not a GM :D

Sometimes I think I want to be a GM, and I've even filled out an app like 3 times without sending it in. But I think I would start to not like the game. Sort of like how Doom was pretty cool, then you found out about the cheats, and with clipping on and godmode, you could beat it twice then it just got really really boring.

I think if I knew too much about the backend and what's underneath the surface, it wouldn't be quite as fun.

They'd have to fire me anyway, I'd just spend all my time playing the damn game LOL.

On the topic of helping Create A Game versus Playing A Game, I think it's an interesting quandry. While I likely can't give an account my own experiences until after the game launches and I actually can compare, I think I have a fine quote here from Mark Twain.

"Now when I had mastered the language of this water and had come to know every trifling feature that bordered the great river as familiarly as I knew the letters of the alphabet, I had made a valuable acquisition. But I had lost something, too. I had lost something which could never be restored to me while I lived. All the grace, the beauty, the poetry had gone out of the majestic river! I still keep in mind a certain wonderful sunset which I witnessed when steamboating was new to me. A broad expanse of the river was turned to blood; in the middle distance the red hue brightened into gold, through which a solitary log came floating, black and conspicuous; in one place a long, slanting mark lay sparkling upon the water; in another the surface was broken by boiling, tumbling rings, that were as many-tinted as an opal; where the ruddy flush was faintest, was a smooth spot that was covered with graceful circles and radiating lines, ever so delicately traced; the shore on our left was densely wooded, and the sombre shadow that fell from this forest was broken in one place by a long, ruffled trail that shone like silver; and high above the forest wall a clean-stemmed dead tree waved a single leafy bough that glowed like a flame in the unobstructed splendor that was flowing from the sun. There were graceful curves, reflected images, woody heights, soft distances; and over the whole scene, far and near, the dissolving lights drifted steadily, enriching it, every passing moment, with new marvels of coloring.

I stood like one bewitched. I drank it in, in a speechless rapture. The world was new to me, and I had never seen anything like this at home. But as I have said, a day came when I began to cease from noting the glories and the charms which the moon and the sun and the twilight wrought upon the river's face; another day came when I ceased altogether to note them. Then, if that sunset scene had been repeated, I should have looked upon it without rapture, and should have commented upon it, inwardly, in this fashion: "This sun means that we are going to have wind to-morrow; that floating log means that the river is rising, small thanks to it; that slanting mark on the water refers to a bluff reef which is going to kill somebody's steamboat one of these nights, if it keeps on stretching out like that; those tumbling 'boils' show a dissolving bar and a changing channel there; the lines and circles in the slick water over yonder are a warning that that troublesome place is shoaling up dangerously; that silver streak in the shadow of the forest is the 'break' from a new snag, and he has located himself in the very best place he could have found to fish for steamboats; that tall dead tree, with a single living branch, is not going to last long, and then how is a body ever going to get through this blind place at night without the friendly old landmark?"

No, the romance and the beauty were all gone from the river. All the value any feature of it had for me now was the amount of usefulness it could furnish toward compassing the safe piloting of a steamboat. Since those days, I have pitied doctors from my heart. What does the lovely flush in a beauty's cheek mean to a doctor but a "break" that ripples above some deadly disease? Are not all her visible charms sown thick with what are to him the signs and symbols of hidden decay? Does he ever see her beauty at all, or doesn't he simply view her professionally, and comment upon her unwholesome condition all to himself? And doesn't he sometimes wonder whether he has gained most or lost most by learning his trade?"

~Dune~

Sometimes I think I want to be a GM, and I've even filled out an app like 3 times without sending it in. But I think I would start to not like the game. Sort of like how Doom was pretty cool, then you found out about the cheats, and with clipping on and godmode, you could beat it twice then it just got really really boring.

I think if I knew too much about the backend and what's underneath the surface, it wouldn't be quite as fun.

They'd have to fire me anyway, I'd just spend all my time playing the damn game LOL.

I feel like that. While it's entirely possible that I might love to play HJ, the fact is that I would be really frustrated running through an area and wanting to just go into a camera mode and skip past all the stuff.

So for that reason, it would be very hard for me to play. I might try still though.

I feel like that. While it's entirely possible that I might love to play HJ, the fact is that I would be really frustrated running through an area and wanting to just go into a camera mode and skip past all the stuff.

So for that reason, it would be very hard for me to play. I might try still though.

For me, it's a little different. There's something about playing Hero's Journey in character mode that makes me all tingly.

Unfortunately, I can't really talk about here. I for one have bound my soul to the will of Simutronics and cannot deviate from that path.

Right, that's how I felt at first.

Give it a few years :P

(I have a feeling someone will misconstrue this. It's gorgeous and all, I just can't stick to restraints if I don't have to!)

For me, games are hardly about the game itself anymore anyhow. It's about the interaction with friends and other people as another character in another world.

This is why you will find me role playing still.

Back