Italian Course

pii_lena4ever said:
:laughbounce:

guess my italian teacher teaches us the wrong words then... :P  or the bad ones! :D
[post="1056769"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well saying you're going to the 'cesso' would be like saying in English "I'm going to the bog" :P

Sabella said:
<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give up the time to teach me and anyone else how to speak a little Italian because I really want to learn it but my school doesn't teach it  :( So if anyone would like to I'd be very grateful to them  ^_^ </span>
[post="1009676"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Well I'm English born and bred, but I studied Italian at University (2:1 baby, yeah! (y) ), and studied for a year in Italy as part of my course- for Italian fan and the other two Italians (I'm sorry, I've forgotten your names!), I lived in Pescara, in the Abruzzo.

And get this people. You know what I'm doing right now?

Watching Alias on Italian DVD! Now that, my friends, is just beyond cool :cool: I was in Italy for two weeks last summer, working there, and I'd not yet started watching Alias. I didn't have enough money to buy the CSI DVDs I wanted (they were twice as much as in the UK!) so bought Alias season 1, thinking "Well some of my Buffy friends like it..."

I got hooked and love it!

Know what's funny? In episode 1, season 1, when Danny sings "Build me up buttercup baby" as he proposes to Sydney? They tranlated that song! :rotflmao:

Anyhoo, here's a phrase for the Italian course:

"Mi trovo bene qui" - which means "I feel at home here", roughly.

And to brush the cobwebs off my Italan:

Ciao a tutti gli italiani qua! Sono inglese, 23 anni, e mi manca Italia tanto- vorrei tornare quest'estate, per vedere le miei amiche, e per andare a Firenze- ho passato solo un giorno in Firenze, l'estate scorso, e non era sufficiente :(

Ma, ho qualche DVD e libri, e forse se provo a studiare ancora un po', posso ritrovare il mio italiano, perche ho dimenticato tanto :(

Baci, e TVB!

(TVB means "Ti voglio bene"- literally means "I love you" but friends in Italy often say it to mean affection, not a declaration of love!)

I have an idea... I aid you with italian language and you give me a hand with your language... I hope one day I can be polyglot (but I have difficult with English yet... :help: )

that's a really good idea, christiana! :smiley: haven't been in this thread for a long time... hey you guys know what? i'm actually going to italy in august!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D i can't believe it!!! motivation x 1000000!!!

allora, tutti va bene?

QUOTE]I thought Tempo meant time and Qui meant who.[/QUOTE]

tempo does mean time, and qui means "here". (compare spanish "aqui") at first i also thought it meant "who", so you're not the only one!

hmpf. "at first". that made me sound like now i know a lot. which i do not do. i think i'm in this thread more for learning than teaching, because i'm really really not good. :blush: :lol: :(

happynow said:
eep! I'm so excited I found this thread. I really need help learning Italian. Thanks everyone!
[post="1357372"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Here is as good a place to reply as any!

More Italian for anyone who wants it...

For liking something-

If you're talking about one thing, say a book, you say "Mi piace il libro". Literally, the book (il libro) pleases/is pleasing (piace) to me (mi).

It is the book which pleases you, so 'piacere' (to like) becomes singular.

Say you like the books. Books, being plural, means you say "Mi piacciono i libri". Just as 'the book' was third person singular, 'the books' are third person plural.

(to recap- 1st pers. sing. = I, 2ps = you, 3ps = he/she/it. 1st pers. pl. = we, 2pp = you plural, 3pp = they/it)

If you don't like something:

Non mi piace il libro/non mi piacciono i libri

:smiley:

*BUMP!!*

'scorso' means 'last', as in 'last week'. ('scorsa' for feminine words)

anno - year
l'anno scorso - last year

settimana - week (feminine)
la settimana scorsa - last week

'prossimo' means 'next', as in 'next week'. ('prossima' for feminine words)

l'anno prossimo - next year
la settimana prossima - next week

ieri - yesterday
oggi - today
domani - tomorrow
giorno - day
settimana - week
mese - month
anno - year
siecolo - century

:D

i don't remember where we started but i'll shoot in some basics here:

greetings:

buongiorno - good morning
buonasera - good evening
buonanotte - good night
ciao! - hi! / bye!
arrivederci! - bye, goodbye, see you, good day

personal subject pronouns:

io - I
tu - you
lui - he
lei - she
Lei - you (formally)
noi - we
voi - you (plural)
loro - they
Loro - they (formally)

essere - to be

io sono
tu sei
lui/lei/Lei è
noi siamo
voi siete
loro sono
(Loro sono)

avere - to have

io ho
tu hai
lui/lei ha
noi abbiamo
voi avete
loro hanno
(Loro hanno)

H is never said in italian. so when the word it "hanno", you simply say "anno".

hmmm what more...

come ti chiami? - what's your name?
mi chiamo... - my name is...
di dove sei? - where are you from?
sono di... - i'm from...
dove? - where?
di dove? -from where?
dov'è? - where's he/she/it?
chi? - who?
chi è? - who is he/she/it?

Verbs:
there are 3 kinds of verbs in italian: verbs that end in -are, -ere and -ire.
and then of course some of them are irregular. how we all love those dearly.
so here's how you use regular -are verbs:

parlare = to speak

parl | are The Endings

io parlo -o
tu parli -i
lui/lei parla -a
noi parliamo -iamo
voi parlate -ate
loro parlano -ano

other regular are-verbs are for example:

studiare - to study
lavare - to work
amare - to love
chiamare - to call

ok i think that's enough... :cool:

Hay!!! I'm an Italian girl and if you want I can learn you Italian!!!
Fan Italiani di dove siete? Io di Roma!!! :D

io sono di finlandia. :eek:ldhi: non parlo molto, ma impararo...and you know what?!?! i'm actually GOING to italy in a month!!! i'm gonna stay there for a week, and i've never been to italy, so i'm sooooo excited!!!! :woot:
and oh i'd like to go to rome....my parents went there and they completely fell in love with the city... :smiley:

I have a question. How do you say in Italian "short stories"?
I'm trying to learn Italian and I would like to read some short stories in this language. It's tough to find books written in Italian in my country, so I want to search the web for short stories in Italian.

Grazie infinite. :D

tolkien said:
I have a question. How do you say in Italian "short stories"?
I'm trying to learn Italian and I would like to read some short stories in this language. It's tough to find books written in Italian in my country, so I want to search the web for short stories in Italian.

Grazie infinite. :D
[post="1423875"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

wow! that would be way too hard for me... 🇳🇴 BUT! i'm going to italy in... *counts* ... 17 days!! :woot: :woot: :woot:

sono molto molto excited!! :D

i actually wanted to take italian courses in college, but it seems that i'm gonna have my work cut out for me already. cuz i took latin in high school, so i thought i'd take italian, the closest modern day language to latin.

is it just me or do you guys get pissed off too when people say ciao for goodbye. to my understanding ciao means hello and arrivaderci (sp?) means goodbye.

Can I join the Italian lessons? I’ve always wanted to learn!

Mi chiamo Jess e ho 17 anni e quest'estate vado andare a Italia per due settimane.

I should let you know that I don’t speak any Italian, except the basics (hello, thank you, numbers etc etc) and that sentence was constructed on Spanish and French grammar principles! (so therefore is probably completely wrong!)

Back