It's Been Quiet...

Too quiet.

We've gone about a week without much new discussion at all on the boards. So, what is everyone up to?

Myself, I'm gearing up a few things. Gonna do some traveling in about a month across the country to visit family for the holidays, I'm doing a few papers and whatnot for my profs, I'm fleshing out one of my favorite story concepts ever, I'm in a bit of a communication fandangle with Simu as different people keep contacting me without knowing I've already been contacted, and I've recently thrown myself into my old copy of SimCity 3000.

So, what's news with you's? Drop a short summary of whatever you want to mention about the sorta stuff you've been doing whilst waiting out this radio silence of ours.

~Dune~

Uhm. I recently had an interview for a technical position with my county/state. I resolved a little issue I had with the coating on my headers (exhaust manifolds) on my hobby car. Turns out it was brake fluid splatter from my clutch reservoir (bad sealing cap, can you believe that?)

Er, I go to Vegas in December if I continue to work for my current employer (training), and then Washington to visit my wife's family over the holidays.

And I can't think of anything else to say...

Quiet, you say?!

NBIDRSBNDBNERBNIEGBeeheuogho8wf08u09e701809nxzcdsb!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!! AH!AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lhvfiuswhvivhivhuhwrbuhrsuivnjdzkvnjdsk

No longer.

Hehe, very true. But I still love the hell out of it. I commented to Tyrswind that I have more fun partying for eight hours and two levels than I had in an hour grinding quests in most every other mmo. The combat is so detailed and tactic driven.

Plus, there's so FREAKING much to do. I've gotten into pankration (Category:Pankration | FFXIclopedia | Fandom) collecting pictures of monsters, building their skills up and fighting them against other players monsters. Like Final Fantasy pokemon. Currently raising my second chocobo bred my from first one who turned out to be a black choco. The first chocobo is now part of the ChocoRacing Circuit and I've made a killing winning races with her, as well as betting on other races.

It gets a lot of flak for how hard it is and how much time it takes, and it is hard and it does take large chunks of time. If you get into the end game you pretty much have to live FFXI, it's true. Certainly not for everyone, but it has more fun things to do aside from leveling and "end game" than any game I've come across. The new expansion coming out in a few days adds crazy amounts of content, more than I can keep up with. Portions of it suited to solo, small party and non-combat things. Plus, they're finally putting Dancer in the game which I've wanted since launch. And double plus, I found an RP linkshell.

It also helps that Tyrswind can play on his PS2, so our flaky second computer doesn't cause us problems.

It is kind of annoying, because everyone has at least one level 75 now, most have multiple jobs to 75 and after a week of hard work my highest is only 42. Leaves me left out of a lot that my friends do.
It's the only one that I keep going back to :smiley:

For some reason I'm reminded of my experiences with WoW, and on reflection I have to say the most fun times I had in WoW were when I was playing the game in ways it wasn't meant to be played.

The Inter-Zone Plataeu

I was an avid explorer, and I searched out every nook and cranny that I could find in Azeroth. In my travels I found what I dubbed the Inter-Zone Plataeu, because it was unsculpted land beyond the normal bounds of play that still existed in the game world, left over from map development.

The IZP consisted of a large, flat, raised expanse of simple base-textured land. There wasn't much there, but as it was the highest point of land in the entire area, I could get to anywhere adjacent to it easily by dropping down where I liked. Getting onto the IZP was a simple matter of walking up a certain slope along a proper path which had never been made impassable. Then it was free reign.

I actually found multiple IZPs, because they technically existed between all the different zones and regions. Only a few were accessible though, and as time went on all but one that I knew of were altered to prevent people from getting up there. This happened because the terrain in these areas often had holes that you could fall into and not get out of, especially as you got close to the IZP edge. Then you could either A) wait for your hearthstone cooldown and teleport to your home city or B) use the unstuck feature. People who were stupid enough to choose B got those areas logged for stuck prevention, and thus brought attention to the boundary breach, which would then be sealed.

Anywho, I found a giant, empty rectangular prism of a chasm in one IZP. It clearly was a planned future zone, because it connected very neatly into a stopped up entrance in the back areas of the zone next to it. The chasm itself was a sheer drop, and indeed, it was the single highest drop I ever found in the game. I lovingly dubbed it "Splatter Canyon" and took trusted friends and clanmates on tours. If you fell in, you would die on impact unless you were invulnerable through a spell or potion. And then you couldn't get out without a hearthstone, so we had to be very careful.

Another glaringly simple, but long overlooked, IZP was what I came to call "Snake Way". It was a very snake-like ridge that you could walk straight up with no trouble at all, and it was in plain view in an area between zones. Adding to the aptitude of the name, it also allowed entrance into the old, uninstanced development map of Zul'Gurub, an ancient troll city which revered serpents and which was at that time ruled over by the serpent god Hakkar. That got altered to try and close it off, but I found another way around their alteration. It was harder to get up there, but still entirely possible.

I also was a master cliff-walker for a time, and got to tons of crazy places that way until they altered the physics to prevent cliff-walking entirely. But as this post is already monstrously long, I'll leave off for now. Geez, I haven't even gotten to the hug-raids and the pirate beach parties! I may not like playing WoW, but I sure love remembering the ways I abused the system! Heh!

~Dune~

I still love finding places like that in WoW. IZPs that I know are still accessible are between Wetlands and IF, above/around 1k, and north/east of Moonglade. The one south of Wetlands is especially fun since it has a town and a doorway to the end of the world- if you jump through you don't die, you just float half a continent away (all "underground") before coming to a stop. I lived and hearthed out.

Granted, they aren't as easy to get to as they used to be, but with a parachute cloak (now on 30 second cooldown!!!) or slowfall, they are still out there to be explored.

I just returned from visiting family in Florida Sunday. Was there for a week. No internet....
Just relaxed and worked on my projects for school most of the time.

FFXI huh?! I've quit playing twice now. I just don't have the time to put into it or else I would still play, I imagine.

I did start playing Lunia though. That's a fun game, especially for a free MMO. Solo and party play balances very nicely I'd say.

How many here still play WoW anyhow? I have my account renewed right now, but haven't been playing much as I want friends there to make it more worth the effort.

I'm completely done with WoW. I quit once before the expansion, came back to check out the expansion's new stuff, leveled a blood knight to max level, and got bored of once again having nothing to do but grind reputation or raid. They're not getting another cent out of me for that game.

Personally the only online game I'm looking to go back to is DragonRealms, but I'm still waiting on that one, especially until I hear about whether I get that GM position for HJ.

~Dune~

I wouldn't be in the game still if it weren't for my guild. They make things interesting and fun. Most guilds raid in a serious fashion... mine... sorta flings themselves at instances in a manner that by all rights shouldn't work, but does. I also do alot of PvPing. Raiding and grinding are all the same old thing, but at least going up against other players can yield new experiences.

Though just today I went and looked at Darkfall again. I'm completely drooling over the game, and it's actually in closed beta moving towards open beta. In my mind it blows away all other competition (even HJ since it has no indication of being released in the reasonable future). The more I read, the more impressed I am.
News A few posts down is a nice set of links to articles.

Back