It's Been Quiet...

Ah, I've been looking at Darkfall too off and on. It was looking like it had sunk for a while there.. But it reminds me so much of my first mmorpg, Shadowbane! I'll definitely have to at least try it.

The only thing that doens't apeal to me about Darkfall at this point is stylistically I find it kind of boring. The basic medieval fantasy setting seems like ... un buttered stale toast to me lately.

The PvP aspect could be a breaker as well, but that's something that depends on how self-policing the community is.

The PvP aspect could be a breaker as well, but that's something that depends on how self-policing the community is.

LOL that's a joke! Everyone knows darn well that the chances of a self policing community working is slim to none.
But who knows....I may be wrong.

Except at least with Darkfall, there is more than just self-policing. There is also alignment. NPC cities don't allow PKers in, and guild cities can choose to have their guards attack PKers on sight. Obviously in wars between guilds, kills don't negatively affect your alignment. And killing a PKer anytime actually improves your alignment. And you can tell alignments with just a mouse over. I think there is some distinction between knocking out a character and looting him, and actually killing him. Just because you are down doesn't mean you are dead, but I'm not sure how that affects alignment and looting and such.

I'm also willing to overlook the stale visual style of the game since you can design and build your own cities, homes, items, etc, etc. And at least each race has their own completely different feel, so it's not too bad.

My concern for Darkfall are many, although it also has some great features.

The FFA PvP is a concern for me. The generic world is a concern. Reminds me Vanguard too much. I think it's not enough to present a wide, vast world. There has to be a story that goes beyond just the generic backstory or lore. Some kind of theme has to drive the story or it becomes too pedestrian and ordinary. And yes, the art is not impressive at all.

Personally, that's what made me unable to enjoy Vanguard. It was just there and it didn't provide this great atmosphere of excitement. People bash on WoW but at least it had a backdrop of another potential war on the horizon in a time of a fragile peace. And WoW has great art design. I wish more devs would hire better artists for their games.

Back