Season 4 Jack is like Vaughn?

So when Jack gave his luke warm blessings to Vaughn to propose to Syd, he said that he was hesitant because Vaughn is a lot like him and Jack knew his own limitations (failings).

What do you think he meant? Because besides the obvioius "my wife betrayed me" there isn't necessarily a lot of overt similarities. And even that similarity is questionable, because Irina was the love of Jack's life and Lauren was *not* that for Vaughn.

The only thing I can think of off-hand is a certain ruthless devotion to work that eclipses all else, despite a desire to not let that happen.

^^I am with you! Vaughn is no where close to the calibur of man that Jack is. But, it was kind of a neat scene. And Vaughn's proposal was pretty cool. That total Dad look in the airplane was neat. Jack was so expressive tonight...I loved it!

Jack was amazing tonight!! I loved him!

1. The first conversation with Vaughn
2. Talking to Syd about not being able to detect relationships haha
3. Second talk with Vaughn
4. Smile he gave Irina after the Nadia comment
5. Smile he gave Syd after the proposal!!

It was all just so amazing I can barely stand it!!

Ways Jack and Vaughn are alike:
1) Both betrayed by their wives.
2) Both believed they killed said wives.
3) Both love Sydney.
4) Both CIA agents.
5) Both willing to break protocol (i.e. Jack's search for Syd, which got him put in jail in S3 and Vaughn's investigation of Irina that got him in trouble in S2.)

Well, I think that both men started out the same. I think pre-Irina's betrayal, Jack was a lot like S1/S2 Vaughn. We saw a bit of this in Mirage. Then Irina was revealed and Jack went all dark/cynical/suspicious/etc. and became the man who we know and love today. Vaughn was/is heading down the same path because of Lauren. He's a lot darker/less innocent/more tortured soul than he was. I'm sure that Jack doesn't want Syd to have a marriage with a man like that. Of course, it's Sydney who will (and has) bring healing to Vaughn's life and prevent him from turning out exactly like Jack.

Other than that, Vaughn is nothing like Jack. Jack's ten times cooler and ten times more capable than Vaughn.

I feel like there must be more to it; Jack hass disapproved of Vaugh for the entire time he's known him, and when Vaughn first asked for Jack's blessing, Jack brought up all his old complaints about Vaughn. Was that just a cover for Jack saying "You're too tortured I don't think you can make Syd happy"?

(Below is only about the AOL preview, no other spoiler)

Irina implied that Vaughn was doing something that he was hiding from Syd, right? Jack's a pretty smart guy, even if he has missed some details lately. Whatever Irina noticed, I would think Jack noticed too since he's had a lot more time to do so. Perhaps that's why Jack was saying in Descent "Perhaps you think my cognitive abilities have been impaired." And perhaps that's why he disapproves.

On the other hand, I suppose Jack just thinks Vaughn hasn't fully dealt with Lauren? What if Vaughn is still secretly pursuing something about Lauren, like maybe her old contacts, or why she went bad, or even pursuing Sark!

That would be great . . . a way to pull Sark back into the story . . . and Jack has hidden his little side investigations from Syd so often that it would definitely be a similarity.

To me the way that they are the most similar is that they would BOTH do just about anything for Sydney. Love, in a way, makes men weak and this is perhaps what Jack means. Vaughn, at times, I think is more powerful because of his love for Sydney, but at times he is so much more vulnerable and weak. I don't think of Jack in the same way, but we've seen a glimpse into his past and one can imagine that before Irina's betrayal and everything, that he was much more like Vaughn. This may not be Jack's ideal choice for Sydney, but ultimately, Vaughn would put his own life before Sydney's and isn't that really what matters the most?

The other similar thing about Jack and Vaughn is how badly they handle loss. When Jack lost Laura he threw himself into work and ignored his daughter. When Vaughn thought he lost Sydney he quit his job and remaried way to quickly. In trying to forget their pain, both men ended up hurting Sydney, the person they love most.

ms.katejones said:
The other similar thing about Jack and Vaughn is how badly they handle loss. When Jack lost Laura he threw himself into work and ignored his daughter. When Vaughn thought he lost Sydney he quit his job and remaried way to quickly. In trying to forget their pain, both men ended up hurting Sydney, the person they love most.
[post="1348140"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Very true. Also, neither of them are ususally very open with their emotions. In this regard, Vaughn is usually better than Jack, but I think most of his emotional vulnerability with Sydney became apparent out of how they were working together in the beginning. Sydney kept arguing with him and testing him and pushing him away and pretty soon it was easy to see how he felt. Not to mention the fact that her life was always in danger. Spydaddy always seemed even more guarded and at the most dire of times. But there you have the difference between spydaddy and spyboyfriend. I don't know I think they are both really cute.

Well, I think that both men started out the same. I think pre-Irina's betrayal, Jack was a lot like S1/S2 Vaughn. We saw a bit of this in Mirage. Then Irina was revealed and Jack went all dark/cynical/suspicious/etc. and became the man who we know and love today. Vaughn was/is heading down the same path because of Lauren. He's a lot darker/less innocent/more tortured soul than he was. I'm sure that Jack doesn't want Syd to have a marriage with a man like that. Of course, it's Sydney who will (and has) bring healing to Vaughn's life and prevent him from turning out exactly like Jack.
I agree with this. Jack was alot like Vaughn before Irina's betrayal. He was more idealistic, more patriotic( I still think he is a patriot, but maybe not as much as he was before). Of course, they both love Sydney. Jack would do anything for her, and I think he believes Vaughn will also.

I see Jack as a bitter cynical version of Vaughn, of course more cooler, too.

I think it has to do with how much both care about Sydney and are willing to do anything for her. I believe Jack stated that he is hesitant to recognize that anyone could possibly hold as much love for Sydney as he does. Aww..Spydaddy (what a sweetheart<3)

I heart the entire Alias CAST!

ummmmm i c it but i don't. I gues in some ways they seem a little a like but other ways they r completely different. Thye both seem 2 hve the same past history and stuff but the way they deal with things and the way they communicate with people is different. I'm not goin 2 go into a list or anything but the only real major similarity between the two is that they were both betrayed by their wives.

Leslie said:
IMO, they are nothing alike. :mellow:
[post="1346871"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

this is a little harsh :lol: true in some ways and I admit I was very suprised that Jack said what he did about them being alike (y) but there are some similarities............most obviously linked to their wives' betrayals. But I would like to think that what Jack realised is that perhaps Vaughn loves Sydney as much as he does ........and it is in fact that which he doesn't care to admit is their similarity ;) at least it makes sense that he then gives vaughn permission to marry sydney because lets face it - if jack meant anything else (to do with laurent etc) then you would think he wouldn't want vaughn to be with syd. ^_^

Back