Jason Mraz

I thought you guys might want to read this. Also, if anyone has questions, I can just refer people to this instead of typing out the same answer over and over again.

**taken from the FAQ posted at rightkindofphrase.com posted by Philly

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>About Jason Mraz:</span>
  • Where is he from?
    Mechanicsville, Virginia.
  • How old is he?
    26. DOB: June 23, 1977.
  • How do you pronounce his last name?
    Rhymes with "jazz." (He's stated in the past, however, that his family's Southern influence changed it to that pronunciation as opposed to it rhyming with "brass")
  • What is his middle name?
    Thomas.
  • What are the official websites?
    Jason Mraz — Official Website | Jason Mraz
    Elektra Music Group – Official Site
  • Is/was he married?
    Yes, he was married, during the New Year of 2001. He has since divorced. (Sheridan)
  • How can I contact Jason?
    His Post Office Box is listed at jasonmraz.com: P.O. Box 691502, Los Angeles, California 90069.
  • What is his e-mail address?
    It used to be posted on his website... but now it's gone, because being out on the road prevents him from checking his e-mail as often. He now says that contacting him via his PO Box is the best way; he usually has to delete most of his e-mail.
  • Does Jason always wear a hat?
    Pretty much, yes.
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Random Facts:</span>
  • What's WFMRTC?
    WFMRTC is the shortened, easier-to-type version of Jason's first studio album released by Elektra Records, "Waiting For My Rocket To Come."
  • Does he have any other CD's besides WFMRTC?
    Four independent discs were sold at shows between 1999 and late 2002:
    - "A Jason Mraz Demonstration" (1999 - summer 2001)
    - "Live" (mid-2001 - present)
    - "On Love, In Sadness (The Eminor EP in F)" (October 2001 - mid-2002)
    - "Sold Out (In Stereo)" (March 2002 - late-2002)

- Three live discs (July 2000, September 2000 [both with Carlos Olmeda], and December 2000) were recorded at the Rhythm Cafe and sold through their website for a limited time. All three are currently in circulation by fans who trade live music.
    - Another disc, "From The Cutting Room Floor," was distributed in a small quantity as a free bonus disc in 2000. It featured tracks that did not make it onto the "Live" disc.
  • What does "lacubrious" mean?
    la·cu·bri·ous
    Pronunciation: la-'cü-brE-&s also -'cyü-
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: irregular derived with a positive twist from lackadaisical
    1 : Chill Out; especially : exaggeratedly or affectedly becoming less tense or reserved < " I can be lacubrious wit' you." - J. Mraz>
    2 : Relaxed: a lacubrious feeling
    Idioms be at ease, breathe easily, feel at home, make oneself at home
    - la·cu·bri·ous·ly adverb
    - la·cu·bri·ous·ness noun
    - Dr. La·cu·bri·ous title

* this word was made up and cannot be found in the dictionary
    * not "lugubrious" or "a cool breeze with you"
  • What's with the rooster?
    Jason likes to refer to it as his [EDIT]. Basically, it can be looked at in a number of ways. A popular explanation is that he felt he was being "too cocky" on his first album, "Waiting For My Rocket To Come," so he adopted the rooster. We may never know what goes on in that boy's brain.
  • Where did the "I love sex" pin come from?
    It originally was a gift, which later became a trend thanks to Jason continually sporting the pin around the time of the album release. Later, the idea came about to sell them to fans. I hear they're quite an eye-catcher.
  • Where was Java Joe's? What is the history with Jason and Java Joe's?
    Java Joe's has had many homes, the most recent being at 1956 Bacon St. in San Diego. Jason's first gig there, back in 1999, was opening for local favorite Gregory Page. Eventually, Java Joe gave Jason his own spot every Thursday night - and this tradition continued for over a year. Alas, all good things come to an end, though, and a few short months after Jason returned from Maryland, where he was recording his debut CD, Java Joe closed his doors to the public. He will soon relocate in downtown San Diego, and Mraz has had to upgrade to larger venues due to popular demand. But we will always remember..
  • Did Jewel also get her start at Java Joes in the early 90's?
    Jewel is, indeed, a fellow Java Joe's graduate. (Although most of her biographies credit the now-defunct Innerchange Coffeehouse as her primary starting point.) As well as performing at Java Joe's, she also used to waitress there in the early 90's.
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>About the band:</span>
  • Who is Toca?
    Toca Rivera is Mraz's current love interest and spooning companion (or so the rumor goes). In all seriousness, Toca originally played djembe with his brother, Carlos Olmeda, within the local San Diego music scene. Around mid-2000, the two of them teamed up with Mraz to create a super-touring trio. They toured with Spin Records, were featured as part of the IAm.com commercials, but eventually parted ways - Carlos decided to take a break from the music industry while Jason and Toca continued to develop their act as a duo.
  • How old is Toca?
    He will forever remain 32, and you can send him flowers and kittens on February 22 of each year.
  • Who is Ian?
    Ian Sheridan is the bass player who joined the duo during early 2002. He has since boosted their status back up to an acoustic trio.
  • Who is Eric?
    Eric is the new guitarist and keyboardist as of June 2003.
  • Who is Adam?
    Adam is the new drummer as of June 2003.
  • Who is Micah?
    Micah Gell-Redman was the original guitarist and keyboardist for the band. Both he and Scott (see below) joined Jason, Toca, and Ian to form the full band for three shows opening for Dave Matthews Band in December 2002. Micah remained touring with the Mraz crew until his last show at the Fillmore in San Francisco on May 27, 2003.
  • Who is Scott?
    Scott Seiver was the original drummer for the band. He joined to form the full band with Micah in December 2002. Scott's last show with the Mraz band was also at the Fillmore in San Francisco on May 27, 2003. More information about Scott can be located here: www.jumptheband.com/musicians/scott.htm
  • Who is Jeff?
    Jeff is the new tour manager dude. He has really bright blonde hair - you won't miss him.
  • Who is Bushwalla, what is his relation to Jason Mraz, and where can I find out more information about him?
    Bushwalla is the man, the myth, the marvel.. otherwise known by day as Billy. He and Mraz used to be roommates. Now Bushwalla just does his laundry at Jason's apartment. But he continues to be a crowd-pleaser with his rhymes during his guest appearances at Southern Cali Mraz gigs. You can find out more about Bushwalla and his gigs with Aaron (see below) at http://www.bushwalla.com
  • Who is Pete?
    Donator of the Mrazda, Mraz's (former) safe and reliable form of travel with dents and bullet holes. Pete was know as Soundguy at the majority of Mraz's Java Joe's gigs, and semi-frequently would take to the stage to sing a few songs with Jason.
  • Who is Jenny Keene?
    Jenny is a friend of Jason's who used to supply him with an ample amount of poetry she had written. "On Love, In Sadness" and "Tonight, Not Again" were songs born from Jenny's original poems.
  • Who is Greg?
    Gregg Gerson played flute at several Mraz shows in early 2002, and a few before (around 2000).
  • Who is Aaron?
    Aaron is the saxophone sensation who has wowed audiences during his appearances at LA and San Diego shows.
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Odds and Ends:</span>Okay, that's the focal points of the FAQ. If anyone has anymore questions, let me know and I'll try to find out for you :D

I've but together a list of music available at his site and the order you should listen to them in. Okay, we'll start with songs from Waiting For My Rocket To Come (his first professionally released CD) because this is the stuff that most music listeners are used to. Then, we will move to his live stuff--I prefer this but the common listener would have a hard time digesting it, so I won't include the more complicated songs.

1) The Remedy (I Won't Worry)--his first single: (cut and paste)

rtsp://demand1.stream.aol.com/wmg/gl/epromo/elektra/24_2356081_33.Ra

2) You and I Both--this is his next single, which you should start to hear on radio stations in the near future (cut and paste)

rtsp://demand1.stream.aol.com/wmg/gl/epromo/elektra/24_2356075_33.Ra

3) I'll Do Anything--I just like this song. Listen for the word "lacubrious" (cut and paste)

rtsp://demand1.stream.aol.com/wmg/gl/epromo/elektra/24_2356078_33.Ra

Now we will venture into the live stuff.

4) Sleep All Day:
http://jasonmraz.com/MP3/Mraz-SleepAllDay.mp3

5) Unfold:
http://jasonmraz.com/MP3/Mraz-Unfold.mp3

6) Galaxy:
http://jasonmraz.com/MP3/Mraz-Galaxy.mp3

I'm hoping that Galaxy prepared you for this. If you think you are absolutely ready, I present to you, Curbside Prophet:

rtsp://demand1.stream.aol.com/wmg/gl/epromo/elektra/24_2356084_33.Ra (lighter, album version) (cut and paste)

http://jasonmraz.com/MP3/CurbsideProphet.mp3 (live version)

iL0v3vAuGhN said:
::cough:: obessesed ::cough::
::cough:: I actually made up the list for a friend because they asked and wanted to hear some of his stuff. Otherwise, I wouldn't have made it. Once it was done, I thought I would post it here too. ::cough::

Tommy said:
iL0v3vAuGhN said:
::cough:: obessesed ::cough::
::cough:: I actually made up the list for a friend because they asked and wanted to hear some of his stuff. Otherwise, I wouldn't have made it. Once it was done, I thought I would post it here too. ::cough::
::cough:: sure tommy ::cough::

I Looooooooove Curbside Prophet!. It's so funny. I feel all cool and stuff when I sing with it. haha. Jason Mraz is some hot stuff, not to mention a genius.

Listen to the live version on the website Jason Mraz Website. It's the awesomest.

If you're having a hard time listening to it, force to yourself to listen to it over and over again. It grows on you. Haha, I listen to it so much. I hope I don't get tired of it. :D (y)

Tami said:
I Looooooooove Curbside Prophet!. It's so funny. I feel all cool and stuff when I sing with it. haha. Jason Mraz is some hot stuff, not to mention a genius.

Listen to the live version on the website Jason Mraz Website. It's the awesomest.

If you're having a hard time listening to it, force to yourself to listen to it over and over again. It grows on you. Haha, I listen to it so much. I hope I don't get tired of it. :D (y)
I love Curbside Prophet too. When I first heard it, I actually hated it but it's one of my favorites now. Yes, the live version is much better. Then again, all of his live stuff is a lot better...WFMRTC sucked :( While it's still better than the rest of the pop felgercarb that is released nowadays, it doesn't even compare to his other CDs. Give me Live at Java Joe's, Sold Out, The E Minor Ep in F, From the Cutting Room Floor, A Jason Mraz Demonstration, or The Rhythm Cafe CDs. Here's hoping Elektra gives him more freedom to do what he wants on the next album.

good artist, i like him too, too bad he isn't commin to my city, barly anyone comes, i like his song "half way home" but it isn't on his cd, its good u guys should check it out.

ahh cool, i'll be sure to check that out, i was checkin out amazon.com it didn't seem to have the live cd's there, i'll check again

Did anyone else see Jason Mraz on the New Year's Rockin' Eve thing on TV? He performed "The Remedy" and Hall & Oates' "Can't Go For That". His performance of "The Remedy" was ok but when he sang "Can't Go For That" O...M...G... He was so hot!!! ^_^ And he sang the song perfectly! Way better Hall & Oates ever could have done!

I dobut he sang it better than the original artists did. Thats a bit of an over statement there. Just because he's "hot" doesnt mean he sang a hall and oates song better THAN HALL AND OATES.............

i used to hate the remedy when it first came out. but then it grew on me. my favorite song is you and i both. oh and curbside prophet. his music's weird-ish. but i like.

eeeeee......jason mraz is awesome (y).....my fav's are Sleep All Day :asleep: .....You and I both ^_^ ....and Absolutely Zero....althought a bit depressing to me...it's still rrrrreeeeaaaalllllyyy good (y) (y) :D

Back