Jennifer againts the paparazzy !

Status
Not open for further replies.
JENNIFER GARNER is tired of all those pesky paparazzos - a problem she seems to have inherited from Ben Affleck's other Jen. ``I think we need to work on some laws to handle the growing problem of the paparazzi in this country,'' the ``Alias'' star sounded off to the N.Y. Times. ``That's all I have to say about that. It's a much bigger problem than we even realize because it's dangerous.'' Luckily, her beau's got Sen. John Kerry's ear, so maybe he can do something about it in his copious spare time. Not that he's ever met a camera he didn't like.

Bennifer2Yaaakkk said:
JENNIFER GARNER is tired of all those pesky paparazzos - a problem she seems to have inherited from Ben Affleck's other Jen. ``I think we need to work on some laws to handle the growing problem of the paparazzi in this country,'' the ``Alias'' star sounded off to the N.Y. Times. ``That's all I have to say about that. It's a much bigger problem than we even realize because it's dangerous.'' Luckily, her beau's got Sen. John Kerry's ear, so maybe he can do something about it in his copious spare time. Not that he's ever met a camera he didn't like.
[post="1216014"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I don't know what it is like to get up every morning and have annoying paparazzi waiting in the street outside of your or your boyfriend's house. Nor do I know how it feels to have a caravan of vehicles following behind you in an attempt to photograph your every move from the time you leave the driveway until you return home. Neither do I know what it is like to see or hear about those photos attached to some outrageous headline or story in one of the weeklies.

This I do know... after a one day, this would be annoying; after a month it would be painful; and after 6 months, I'd be ready to kill somebody. I wish the paps would leave Jen and Ben alone, but this won't happen until the weeklies (People, Us, Star, In Touch, etc...) remove the bounty from their heads. As long as the weeklies dangle the $$$ carrots the paps will continue to chase Ben and Jen.
Obviously, Ben and Jen are in love with one another and are trying to build a relationship (which is hard enough with just two people let alone with a pack of wolves riding shotgun)... ! No matter what anyone's feelings are toward their relationship... common decency should come into play, and they should be offered the opportunity of some semblance of privacy (celeb or not).

Regarding her "dangerous" comment... I never stopped to think about the paps until a month or so ago. I was in the waiting room of my Dentist's office, and they had on one those shows (either Access Hollywood or the Insider) which did a story on the paps. Their crew was with one in his SUV when he got a tip that JLO was at a certain restaurant... this guy went tearing down the street at a high rate of speed (while watching I thought if anyone made the mistake and stepped off the curb he'd mow them down). Furthermore, regarding celebs, it's got to be blinding when the paps are flashing those camera lights in your eyes while you're trying to pull out of a parking space or driveway. Finally, I'm sure if the bounty got big enough... it would not be beneath them to stage a minor accident with the celeb just to get more pictures (possibly even an altercation).

I agree with Jen, there should be tougher stalking laws because if this keeps up... unfortunately, someone is going to get hurt or killed and that would bea travesty!

I totally agree with Shelley!! Your absolutely right!!

Princess Diana for sure, that was a real tragedy! All coz the paparazzi wanted a photograh of her and Dodi! It sucks that she was killed for money!

Before I play devil's advocate, I have to make two things perfectly clear. I love Jennifer, I think that she is a wonderful actress and from from I've read and seen, she seems like a great person too. Lastly, I believe that there should be a line that the paparazzi must not cross but they do so anyway. I agree that they were partially at fault for Princess Diana's death.

It's hard for me to feel for Jennifer because she chose this life for herself. If she just wanted to be a working actress she could have not audition for Alias and continued doing theatre and small guest spots on television, but she didn't, she wanted more, she wanted success. And with great success comes great fame. Nothing is wrong with that because almost every actor has that goal in mind.

Like every profession, there are downsides, and in this case, there are very few. Celebrities, especially actors, are paid very well for just entertaining the world. Ironically, when they are struggling they have to save every penny (like Jennifer did when she was living in NYC) to barely get by. However, when they become successful they are given FREE lavish gifts like clothes, jewelry etc. Best of all, they are getting rewarded for what they love to do. The downsides are scarifices, like one's personal life take's a toll because if she/he is not being written about in the magazines he/she is spending most of time working on a movie/television set away from their loved ones. Then there's the constant presence of the paparazzi. Compared to the life of an average American with an average salary, Jennifer and celebrities like her, have it pretty easy.

I find it strange that now she is really complaining about the paparazzi. Her approach towards them has changed as well. Before, they actually took photos of her house and yet, she tolerated their presence, instead hiding from them like she is now. She is dating an actor who is well more known than her last boyfriend and he is wanted more by the paparazzi. Everyone saw the kind of press coverage he got with his last relationships (Gwenyth and J. Lo). So, the increased paparazzi presence in her life, should have been expected. Yes, it should been because it is common knowledge that Ben is one of the most photographed men in the world. And Jennifer, chose to date Ben and to become involved in his life. Whether she likes it or not, the paparazzi is apart of his life and it is now apart of hers. Honestly, it is hard for me to feel empathetic for her because this was the decision that she made.

Regarding the paparazzi, the pictures that they provide are fodder and who consumes the fodder, us, the public. Yes, we, the people read magazines like People, Us Weekly, Star or view the many websites that take these candid snapshots so we are just as guilty for viewing these pictures as the paparazzi are for taking them. The only that is going to change is if society stops this cycle but considering how celebrity obsessed we are, that seems very unlikely.

You make a lot of good points, sugababyboo, but I think people need to realize that expecting something to occur, and then actually having it occur are two different things. It's like I chose to go to law school because I wanted to become a lawyer, and I knew it was gonna be hard work. But, knowing it was going to be hard work versus actually going through it and doing what it takes to make it through school, are extremely different. In fact, there is no way I could prepare myself for how difficult it is. Yes I knew it was gonna be hard going into it, but you don't really know until you're in it. So Jen knowing that dating Ben would bring on more publicity in her life, versus actually living through it, are totally different.

And yes I complain about it all the time. Of course people say, stop complaining and just deal with it. But the only people who know how difficult it is to make it through law school are law school students and graduates. So, though I don't understand what Jen and other celebs go through, I respect the fact that when they complain about the razzi, they clearly know better than I do what it's like to be stalked and chased by these people.

Their choices and success in life do not give the media the right to intrude on their lives. Yes, they receive a lot of perks and advantages by being famous, but that's the public's fault for being so obsessed and intrigued with the celebs lives, not the celebs fault. And it's difficult being such a big fan of JG and wanting to see pics of her, because I know I'm feeding into the mania myself. So, though there's some conflict there, I certainly understand why Jen said what she said. And I do feel sorry for her and other celebs who can't even go to the grocery store without being followed.

I agree with everything that you just posted,sugababyboo.

ETA: Jen was a favorite of the paparazzi before she started dating Ben, and she knew exactly what kind of press Ben got before she started going out with him.so it should not have been a suprise what kind of harassment she is now getting from them, she is dating the tabloids poster boy.

I don't think it was a surprise in the sense that she knew her press would increase. I think it was a surprise because she personally has never been followed this much before. I don't think she could anticipate how she would react to the situation.

And, again, anticipating an increase in press, and actually living through the increased exposure are totally different things.

ETA...I also think it's important to deal with the problem of the razzi in general. Whether or not Jen is getting followed was not what she was addressing. She was looking at the danger these razzi present to celebrities. Something I don't think she could fully appreciate until recently.

tippinlover said:
You make a lot of good points, sugababyboo, but I think people need to realize that expecting something to occur, and then actually having it occur are two different things.  It's like I chose to go to law school because I wanted to become a lawyer, and I knew it was gonna be hard work.  But, knowing it was going to be hard work versus actually going through it and doing what it takes to make it through school, are extremely different.  In fact, there is no way I could prepare myself for how difficult it is.  Yes I knew it was gonna be hard going into it, but you don't really know until you're in it.  So Jen knowing that dating Ben would bring on more publicity in her life, versus actually living through it, are totally different.

I somewhat agree with you. But when Jennifer was married to Scott they were followed by paparazzi, they were not as hunted as her and Ben, but they were definitely sought after. On top of that, they were a public hollywood couple who were openly affectionate and supportive of one another. This gave the press and the media a lot to work with, especially when they broke up. When she started dating Michael that is when the paparazzi really started to pursue her. So, I believe that she had been a little bit more prepared after having experienced a public relationship and breakup and a private one with Michael. Personally, I believe that Jennifer was prepared oppose to an unknown actress (with no previous Hollywood relationships) who starts dating an A-list actor.

And yes I complain about it all the time.  Of course people say, stop complaining and just deal with it.  But the only people who know how difficult it is to make it through law school are law school students and graduates.  So, though I don't understand what Jen and other celebs go through, I respect the fact that when they complain about the razzi, they clearly know better than I do what it's like to be stalked and chased by these people.

None of us will ever know what is liked to be stalked or chased down by the paparazzi, unless we become famous or join the paparazzi. Therefore, I think it’s safe to say that we will never how dangerous it actually is, without experiencing it instead of hearing about it from celebrities. In the instance of Princess Diana, they were partially to blame. I believe there were other circumstances surrounding the crash, like the fact that her driver was intoxicated and that she and her boyfriend were not wearing seatbelts.

Leo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt are more well-known than Jennifer and they’ve been living in the spotlight longer than her. Yet, they both have publicly said how the paparazzi are apart of their lives whether they like it or not and that they chose to live this kind of life. Leo has gone as far as saying that celebrities should just stop complaining and deal with it because it the life that they chose.

Their choices and success in life do not give the media the right to intrude on their lives.  Yes, they receive a lot of perks and advantages by being famous, but that's the public's fault for being so obsessed and intrigued with the celebs lives, not the celebs fault.  And it's difficult being such a big fan of JG and wanting to see pics of her, because I know I'm feeding into the mania myself.  So, though there's some conflict there, I certainly understand why Jen said what she said.  And I do feel sorry for her and other celebs who can't even go to the grocery store without being followed.
[post="1237715"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Celebrities actually have more rights than politicians who willingly put themselves out there. However, they are still in the public eye. When an actor promotes a film they do promotion by going to premieres and interviews where he or she has to sell the movie and also share a little about their lives like on Regis and Kelly or the Tonight Show with Jay Leno. They may not be public servants like politicians but they are public figures because they are seen and heard in the media.

It’s hard for me to feel for Jennifer because she can’t go out grocery shopping without being followed by the paparazzi. What concerns me is that she, as a successful and wealthy young woman will probably never have to worry about not being able to afford groceries unlike a person who has a job that pays minimum wage and struggles to just barely get by each week. So, I'm just not able to feel empathetic about Jennifer's situation.

I somewhat agree with you. But when Jennifer was married to Scott they were followed by paparazzi, they were not as hunted as her and Ben, but they were definitely sought after. On top of that, they were a public hollywood couple who were openly affectionate and supportive of one another. This gave the press and the media a lot to work with, especially when they broke up. When she started dating Michael that is when the paparazzi really started to pursue her. So, I believe that she had been a little bit more prepared after having experienced a public relationship and breakup and a private one with Michael. Personally, I believe that Jennifer was prepared oppose to an unknown actress (with no previous Hollywood relationships) who starts dating an A-list actor.

Michael and Scott are not Ben Affleck, though. So, she was not prepared personally for what life would be like to have two very famous actors together. Sure she saw what other people have gone through, but until you experience something yourself, you just don't know how you're gonna deal with it. When she was with Scott, she wasn't as famous. When she was with Michael, he wasn't as famous. So, I don't think she has experience with this situation until now. So though she had an idea of what it would be like, until the relationship with Ben actually began, she did not have the experience.

Leo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt are more well-known than Jennifer and they’ve been living in the spotlight longer than her. Yet, they both have publicly said how the paparazzi are apart of their lives whether they like it or not and that they chose to live this kind of life. Leo has gone as far as saying that celebrities should just stop complaining and deal with it because it the life that they chose.

Yeah, and that's kind of my point too, they are more use to it than she is. She's never been this followed or stalked in previous relationships. She had an idea of what was going to happen, but again, until you experience it, you don't know how you're going to react. So I think she's still learning how to deal with this attention.

It’s hard for me to feel for Jennifer because she can’t go out grocery shopping without being followed by the paparazzi. What concerns me is that she, as a successful and wealthy young woman will probably never have to worry about not being able to afford groceries unlike a person who has a job that pays minimum wage and struggles to just barely get by each week. So, I'm just not able to feel empathetic about Jennifer's situation.

I know what you're saying, but the problem is with how society values certain professions, it's not Jennifer's fault. And I guess that's why I have no problem feeling sorry for her. We, as the public, pay $10 a movie to see a Jen Garner or someone else perform, and we don't pay our teachers or firefighters enough money. But, that's not a celeb's fault. Far from it, actually.

I'm glad she's been able to make a successful career for herself. Is she overpaid? Of course she is, but don't kill the messenger, you know? She didn't create capitalism or anything ;)

I know what you're saying, but the problem is with how society values certain professions, it's not Jennifer's fault. And I guess that's why I have no problem feeling sorry for her. We, as the public, pay $10 a movie to see a Jen Garner or someone else perform, and we don't pay our teachers or firefighters enough money. But, that's not a celeb's fault. Far from it, actually.

I'm glad she's been able to make a successful career for herself. Is she overpaid? Of course she is, but don't kill the messenger, you know? She didn't create capitalism or anything

Touché, friend. Not to mention the fact that many celebrities, and Jennifer in particular, give thousands, perhaps millions, to charities for those less fortunate. Jennifer's been lucky with her career, but she knows what she has and what others don't.

Jennifer and Michael were definitely stalked whether they were jogging, walking their dogs or going into an open market to buy flowers, the cameras were always there just like how they are with her and Ben. Even when they were separated they were still followed. One photographer even went as far as going to Michael’s driveway and took pictures of his house. Every time he went out to just pump gas into his car, the paparazzi were sure to follow. He may not be on the A-list yet, but he was stalked by the paparazzi more than the usual actor is and definitely more than Scott was.

Yes, Leo and Brad have been dealing with this for longer than Jennifer has, but they have it a whole lot worse than her. Brad has said that it’s not uncommon for him to be followed by at least six or more SUVs filled with paparazzi at one time. This is true because I watch a television show that follows paparazzi and they say that Brad is ALWAYS one of the top guys on their list. Then they showed footage of them sending almost a fleet of SUV’s after him. Even though Ben is more famous than Michael and on the A-List, Brad Pitt is not the A-list anymore; he is the elite like Tom Hanks and Nicholas Cage. Also on the show they did follow Ben and it was not like the way they pursued Brad.

I never once said that Jennifer was ungrateful because I don’t believe that she is. Again, it’s difficult for me to be empathetic for a woman who is more than blessed, personally, professionally and financially.

Celebrities are not forced to live luxurious lives. They choose to buy and live in expensive homes. They choose to hire stylists, hairdressers, and many other people to cater to their every need. No one forces them to buy high priced cars, rent private jets, or buy designer clothing, they chose to do so. And they know that it takes a lot of money to live this kind of lifestyle which is why they hire aggressive agents/managers to negotiate their contracts making sure they can be paid the highest amount possible. Despite what many might think, celebrities know how much of their paycheck is going to them after taxes and after they’ve paid off their agents and others who work for them. After that, they hire accountants and lawyers to protect their fortune. This is why actors are demanding as much as $20 to 25 million per film.

Honestly, I used to share your opinion but after seeing the kind of lives celebrities lead, I’ve realized that they do not need my sympathy. One of the cons of being a famous face, is that he or she will make a lot of money but he or she must realize to that others will make a lot of money off of his or her likeness. Unless they have a crack team of lawyers and agents working 24/7, there is no way to prevent this from happening. That is the reality that many celebrities deal with and it is what most (like Brad and Leo) unwillingly accept in order to live their lavish lives.

Jennifer and Michael were definitely stalked whether they were jogging, walking their dogs or going into an open market to buy flowers, the cameras were always there just like how they are with her and Ben. Even when they were separated they were still followed. One photographer even went as far as going to Michael’s driveway and took pictures of his house. Every time he went out to just pump gas into his car, the paparazzi were sure to follow. He may not be on the A-list yet, but he was stalked by the paparazzi more than the usual actor is and definitely more than Scott was.

Yes Jen was stalked when she was with Scott and then to a greater degree with Michael and now to an even greater degree with Ben. And I think her change in how she deals with the media reflects the greater attention on her personal life that she has continued to get. I think she's still learning to deal with the increase of razzi attention since she's been dating Ben. And my point is that someone like Brad Pitt has had a lot more time to deal with their relationships being such public fodder, Brad and Leo both have been popular for a long time now. I think Jen deserves to have a period of adjustment too.

And believe me, I'm not trying to convince you to have have any sympathy for JG, I just don't buy into the argument of "because they're rich, they deserve or should at least expect certain treatment" (be it positive or negative). I recognize that the razzi and all the attention that comes with being a celebrity will continue to exist, I just think they have the right to complain about it if they want, just like the rest of us complain about things that happen that are related to our jobs.

You can kind of see why Johnny Depp moved to France...at least he can get some privacy there ^_^

ETA: Jen was a favorite of the paparazzi before she started dating Ben, and she knew exactly what kind of press Ben got before she started going out with him.so it should not have been a suprise what kind of harassment she is now getting from them, she is dating the tabloids poster boy.
Maybe she like him and wanted to be with him?

She didn't send out an open invitation to be stalked.

People keep saying that they should be grateful for it, and that is just a part of their job.
I disagree. Attending events, awards shows, premieres - basically being seen, that is part of their job. Having to run away from people on the street, living in hiding if you don't want part of your private life to become public, that certainly isn't. If that happened to most people, the stalkers would be arrested and/or have a court grant some sort of restraining order.

I'll never understand celebs warring with paparazzi. For one thing, they need each other to survive. Without the photographers, not as many people would no who JG was and without people like JG the razzi would be out of a job. For another thing, not to say she's asking for it, but she should look at how omnipresent Ben's past relationships were in the tabs and expect that theirs will be no different. You can say that expectation and reality are different, but it is important to prepare yourself for the worst. Police officers wear bullet proof vests even if they don't expect to get shot.

I'm not sure what bullet proof vest would work on paparazzi, but she should look to other celebs who manage to stay out of the tabs. The most important part imo is not to take it too seriously and to try to stay classy no matter what. Easier said than done of course, but she should try to make the best of a bad situtation and realize how lucky she is to have a job she loves.

but she should try to make the best of a bad situtation and realize how lucky she is to have a job she loves.

I really, truly think she is making the best of a bad situation and she always says how lucky she is to work on Alias. As a matter of fact during the rest of that interview after she won the SAG, she stated how lucky she was to have the job and work with the people that she works with. To me, saying that the razzi are dangerous is simply stating a fact, she certainly isn't complaining about her job, she's complaining about the razzi.

I'll never understand celebs warring with paparazzi. For one thing, they need each other to survive. Without the photographers, not as many people would no who JG was and without people like JG the razzi would be out of a job. For another thing, not to say she's asking for it, but she should look at how omnipresent Ben's past relationships were in the tabs and expect that theirs will be no different. You can say that expectation and reality are different, but it is important to prepare yourself for the worst. Police officers wear bullet proof vests even if they don't expect to get shot.

I disagree with this. There's a difference between the paparazzi and legitimate media sources. Photographers for TV Guide or GQ or Vogue are not the target of her comments. These are the media that make a person popular and help them promote their careers and movie. Tabloids and the paparazzi exist in order to pry into the private lives of famous people. They are not there to promote someone's career or projects.

And yes, police officers wear vests, but do you think wearing these vests means they are prepared to be shot? No. It means that hopefully the vest will protect them from dying, but the trauma of being shot will exist, nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back