Comedy Jethro's web dev diary and web subjects

Jethro

Captain
Just in the process of rewriting a site, and building a large framework to hopefully cater for new ideas etc on what we should do, framework available when finished as a freebie to AlienSoup Members.

Okay have only just got started working on the member management system, am working in HTML5, CSS3, PHP, and JS.

First interesting point, for geeks, decision to go OOP or procedural. Have decided on the second as the PHP implementation of OOP isn't all it should be imho. Some nice arguments for both approaches however, including my fav comment from a guy out of the States, "OOP must have been invented by a Californian".

First interesting point, for geeks, decision to go OOP or procedural.
Are you thinking more towards something that could be easily used by anybody or more as an internal project that others might end up using? For beginners procedural would likely allow for an easier entry way to get started with.

Thanks deltafx :smiley:

Kev, we are going for a full flexible turn key style of website, so pretty much anyone can used for whatever purpose. Going to get complex as we need not only the front end but an ACP etc. All the while trying to maintain W3 compliance.

Latest decision.

Am slightly put off by our first frontend, floats and all sorts of complexity to get it to a responsive layout. Rule of thumb I guess is develop for smartphone size screens then expand by media queries.

Was going to run with the new grid layout pattern, but not supported in enough browsers yet, 61 chrome for example which is meant to support it doesn't fully implement.

After running this passed a tech site, sorry private for ex students from one of the tertiary colleges, the flexbox pattern was suggested, and oh boy is that easy to use and a heck of a lot less messy than expected. Have our basic front end layout already nailed :smiley:

If anyone is remotely interested can actually post up the code with explanations of why differing CSS 3 rules were invoked. Still tweaking it to make the code a lot more responsive and better constructed.

So if you want to learn some basic HTML5 and CSS3 scream out

This is on going, we jettison the flexbox approach as IE isn't happy with the concept, perhaps in the latest version of whatever they call it now, but most people I know are sticking with Win7 and then moving to Linux rather than Win8 or 10.

Thus far we have the front page happening, the register happening (though added a few more fields, U.S age requirements for site content for example), the login and logout. Will be running final tests and fixing the CSS over the weekend, a few glitches here and then. Will then post some pics (y)

At the moment we are working on what we call a "framework", that will allow independent development of models and snippets :cool: First module from us will be a quiz module, some zany ideas being flung around the ground about how that should work.

Been a heavy few months at work so just getting back into this project and decided to jettison everything as the code was starting to resemble a mad person's dinner.

Have another little project to get happening which ties in nicely :hungry:

Interesting.
7487262_ori.jpg
lol

Been a heavy few months at work so just getting back into this project and decided to jettison everything as the code was starting to resemble a mad person's dinner.
One of the worst things as a developer is to go full force into working on some code, step back for a bit of time, and then when you go back and look the code you wrote you think "Oh my goodness!". :D I've been there.

Back