JJ Abrams spread too thin?

Crew News

Official News Poster
From Ask Matt on TV Guide Online, 9/27/04:

Question:
I just saw that J.J. Abrams has signed up to produce yet another show. I'm worried he is going to go the way of David E. Kelley and spread his attention so thin that the quality of his shows falters. Should I be concerned? — Kelly C.

Matt:
There's always cause for concern when someone is this in demand (he's also juggling some film commitments), but some of the recent announcements involved shows that will be developed under his production banner but not involving his full-time participation. And there's also reason to stay hopeful. Did you see the pilot of Lost? (Part 2, airing this Wednesday, is just as powerful.) The guy's still got the goods. And from what I've read and seen so far of the next season of Alias, I feel confident that show will rebound creatively as well.

One thing Matt should be careful of noting is the quality of Lost's premiere. We have to remember that JJ thinks up one AWESOME season, then allows his shows to slowly disintegrate. It's a sad but true reality. -_-

Leslie said:
One thing Matt should be careful of noting is the quality of Lost's premiere. We have to remember that JJ thinks up one AWESOME season, then allows his shows to slowly disintegrate. It's a sad but true reality. -_-
[post="1010658"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
The reason Alias "disintegrated" last season was because apparently nearly all of Mr Abram's attention was on Lost's pilot (and The Catch) and he didn't check on Alias, which had several new writer/producers aboard. Delegation is fine, but you have to do enough supervision to make sure your project is working the way you want it to! ;)

Some producers can delegate just fine (Wolfe). Others want to do much of their own writing (Kelley), so they can forget about taking on many projects at once and have anything approaching a decent product. Sorkin couldn't even handle The West Wing by itself and get the scripts in on time because he practically wrote all the scripts himself. (He should try a cable series where he can write a limited number of scripts before they even start shooting, then start the next season.)

I don't mind if Abrams creates and puts a good team in place. I like David Fury and I think he can do a fine job. My concern is that Abrams might pay so much attention to projects that I don't care about that insufficient attention is paid to the ones that I do care about (Alias).
✌️

Back