JJ Abrams talks about Alias season 3 DVDs

V

verdantheart

From Sci Fi Wire:

Abrams Waffles On Alias DVDs

J.J. Abrams, creator of ABC's Alias, told SCI FI Wire that he's happy about the upcoming third-season DVD box set of the show, despite earlier comments that he thought the show lost its way during the year. "I … really look at the show as we all look at the stuff we do, in a hypercritical way," Abrams said at a preview of the DVD set. "I'm incredibly proud of a lot of the work that was done in the season. To me, the biggest problem with the season was I just felt that we went away from the character-first stuff that I love. I just love the specific character interaction."

Abrams added, "I think we made a lot of sort of … fundamental mistakes up front in terms of what the season would be. So, just for me, ... it wasn't like I wanted. But you can't tell sometimes. You're so in it. You're so in the middle of it. So it wasn't hard to do the special features [for the DVD set]. I was actually really happy. ... There were some really great episodes … over the course of the year. It's more like in the aggregate I just kind of feel like it didn't live up to my ambition. And at the same time, I'm really proud of it."

The upcoming set will include several special features, including an all-new animated short with a new story about Sydney Bristow (Jennifer Garner) and her missing two years. The DVD also includes From Burbank to Barcelona, a featurette on how the show simulates locations around the world; deleted scenes; a blooper reel; audio commentaries; The Alias Diaries, a documentary about the crew; and fan commentaries.

"This animated piece, … which really was … [Buena Vista] Home Entertainment's idea, ... came out of discussions about how cool it would be to do, like, a hidden episode or a lost episode," Abrams said. "But we can barely shoot one episode. So … it was like, 'Yeah, that would be great. But … .' And so this animated thing came up. It was beautifully produced. We're … proud of it." The Alias third-season collection comes out Sept. 7. The fourth season of Alias doesn't hit airwaves until January.

Back