JJ Abrams talks to SciFi Wire about M:I 3

V

verdantheart

From SciFi Wire

Abrams Admires Darabont's M:I3

J.J. Abrams, newly hired to direct the upcoming third Mission: Impossible movie, told SCI FI Wire that he admires Frank Darabont's script for the film and that it's too early to say whether he will rewrite it. "We're still figuring out what the next step's going to be," Abrams said in an interview at a preview of the upcoming third-season DVD box set of his TV show Alias. Abrams added that Darabont is "one of my favorite writers. He did unbelievable work on that script."

But Abrams said he's looking forward to beginning work on the movie, which will be produced by and star Tom Cruise. "I could not be more excited," he said. "And working on that series is … sort of a dream for me. … I am excited. I am so excited. I've been waiting for a long time to find something … to direct, and that felt like the right thing. I've been lucky enough to be offered a couple of things. Nothing's ever felt right. This is the first time that I just cannot wait to get going. … The movie won't shoot until next summer."

In the meantime, Abrams is in the middle of shooting the fourth season of ABC's Alias, as well as executive producing the upcoming SF series Lost for the network. "Alias has been in some ways … good preparation for [M:I3]," he said. "I have to say that to some degree I owe Buena Vista Home Entertainment this job, because I had a meeting with Mr. Cruise, and I gave him the Alias DVDs. He'd never seen the show. And I thought, 'You know, he'll never [watch them].' I got a call a couple of months later. He had watched every episode. And that was sort of the beginning of the discussion. So if it hadn't been for the DVDs, I definitely wouldn't have the job."

That's so cool that Tom Cruise likes Alias!! I don't know why, but I'm always impressed when a celebrity loves the show. Because most actors don't really have time to watch that much TV, so when they do, it's a big deal.

Back