Season 5 JJ addresses rumors

ipopy said:
Great post Spydancer!

But you know what really really sucks about this? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for MV or Vaughn to leave!  MV obviously wants to stay on the show till the very end and I refuse to believe JG has anything to do with his possible departure.  So why then can TBTB even consider killing off Vaughn or having MV leave the show? It just doesn't make sense, not for storyline purposes, and certainly not for ratings purposes.  So the questions begs to be asked over and over again - why go this direction ? It.just.makes.no.sense.
[post="1498387"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I couldn't agree with you more. Logic tells me that they (The all important monkeyish 🐒 PTB) know how popular he is and that the buzz :shh: associated with a death of his character would perhaps do more harm than good,👎 but maybe they believe the reverse is true. That is the only thing I can think of that I even understand. I mean, look at all the talk about Lena Olin coming back. If he was absent for several episodes, they could create a similar drama in bringing him back. Historically there has been a mid-season reveal or turn around. :thud: Could that be where this is headed? That might be beneficial. All the world loves a dramatic storyline, right? 👍 I just don't see anything good coming out of a permanent departure. :byesad: 🇳🇴 Not to mention that given what we have been told, that would be totally dishonest. I mean, if he is supposed to be a part of this season, he should be present for more than just the first episode.

I dont post very often, but seeing that vaughn is my favorite character, I feel like I should get my opinion out there...

I believe that Vartan will be back at some point in the season, but as Katyray said, the writers are definetly going to string us along. We had to wait, what, 12 episodes in season three to find out what happened to syd, we had to wait how many episodes in season four to find out irina was alive...I mean, its like, after all of these years of stringing us along, you'd think the writers would want to make the 5th season the best and to "go out with a bang," not "go out with half the number of viewers you should have had because michael vartan was left out of countless episodes." Having said this, if there is a sign that michael vartan will be back, heck yes I will be watching...but hearing all of these rumors has my head spinning.

...I just hope the writers know what they are doing, and I hope this season is the best because Alias deserves to "go out with a bang"

I couldn't agree with you more. Logic tells me that they (The all important monkeyish 🐒 PTB) know how popular he is and that the buzz :shh: associated with a death of his character would perhaps do more harm than good,👎 but maybe they believe the reverse is true. That is the only thing I can think of that I even understand. I mean, look at all the talk about Lena Olin coming back. If he was absent for several episodes, they could create a similar drama in bringing him back. Historically there has been a mid-season reveal or turn around. :thud: Could that be where this is headed? That might be beneficial. All the world loves a dramatic storyline, right? 👍 I just don't see anything good coming out of a permanent departure. :byesad: 🇳🇴 Not to mention that given what we have been told, that would be totally dishonest. I mean, if he is supposed to be a part of this season, he should be present for more than just the first episode.

ooooh.... yes, a midseason "reveal"!!! I already had been thinking that something like that would be happen, like Vaughn's death is really faked, etc. but I for some reason thought they would still show him all along and maybe we would know it. But that is a GREAT point! Maybe MV has not been on the set because he won't be appearing again until the "reveal".... you've given me new hope!

they probably just killed off Michael Vaughn (his false identity), and now he's living under a different name. Also if Michael Vartan has lef he show mayb they will bring back Will Tippin as a love interest for syd. :P Who knows what could happen!!!! :D

[/color] EVERYTHING ON NETWORK TELEVISION IS ALL ALBOUT THE RATINGS. I THINK THE POWERS THAT BE WILL SAY (OR NOT SAY) WHATEVER THEY HAVE TO TO MAKE SURE THAT FOLKS TUNE INTO ALIAS AND NOT SURVIVOR. KIND OF SAD THAT THEY MESS WITH THE FANS LIKE THIS BUT THE ALMIGHTY SPONSOR DOLLAR ALWAYS WINS.

As a performing artist, I want to see Alias come to it's rightful conclusion. I admit that would probably not be a cookie cut out of a happy ending, but I would like to see our characters and relationships finishing the journey that they started on five years ago. Sydney believes Vaughn is her future. She has said that she doesn't see the future without him. So should we? These things go to the mythology of the show. Equally important is her relationship with Spy Dad. All of these relationships, all of these stories want to come full circle. Vaughn has to be there to make the last leg of the journey.

If they wanted to create drama by faking his death and then keeping him in hiding for several episodes, it would be fine. If that is what they need to do, fine. Create a bunch of fuss, watch the fans freak out. Etc. But then bring him back after a few epsisodes, that is all I ask. We do not want to see the fifth season without him. That is my answer.

My sentiments exactly. I don't want to see an Alias that totally dismisses the relationships that was started and developed from day one of this show, especially S/V and S/Spydaddy. No new characters will make up for that in my book. If that happens, I will definitely be a non-fan. I will watch 'Everybody hates Chris' which I thoroughly enjoyed last week. I had planned to watch Alias and tape 'Chris' on one of my other TV's but I that definitely may change.

Exactly. Last year, I was willing to overlook any/all of the S3 mistakes, but my feelings have changed. This is a whole new playing field. Everything is negotiable, including the faith I once had in the show.

I have been wondering why everyone hates season 3 so much and why I love it! :smiley: I think I finally figured it out.
I just began watching Alias in Season 4 - and once I saw the season premiere in January, I had to get caught up - I promptly watched all three seasons on DVD then. I think I liked season 3 because I KNEW how it would turn out, at least a little bit - Lauren would die, S/V would be together again. SO I think I was able to enjoy it's brilliant storylines and plots... but everyone else watched it slowly, episode by episode, like a slow death by torture! No one knew how it would turn out.
So that must be what is in store for me this year! As we have to wait a week between episodes, I am sure I will worry and break apart every mistake and be miserable until I know the conclusion! :blink:

I have been wondering why everyone hates season 3 so much and why I love it! :smiley: I think I finally figured it out.
I just began watching Alias in Season 4 - and once I saw the season premiere in January, I had to get caught up - I promptly watched all three seasons on DVD then. I think I liked season 3 because I KNEW how it would turn out, at least a little bit - Lauren would die, S/V would be together again. SO I think I was able to enjoy it's brilliant storylines and plots... but everyone else watched it slowly, episode by episode, like a slow death by torture! No one knew how it would turn out.
So that must be what is in store for me this year! As we have to wait a week between episodes, I am sure I will worry and break apart every mistake and be miserable until I know the conclusion! :blink:

I also love S3 the first time I saw it. But then I rewatched S1-S3 consecutively (I know, too much time on my hands :P ), I realized how inconsistent S3 was compared to S1 and S2. there were a lot of plot holes (although I liked the addition of Lauren)! Then I re-watched APO in S4, and realized how much more WORSE S4 was compared to S3 (thus really bad compared to S1 and S2!) The dynamic of the show was off---the pace was the show was slow, there was a lot of awkward stares and silences, the camera work was weird, Syd's acting seems to be off (compared to S1 and S2), the lighting was funny........ I could go on and on!!!!!!!!!!!! and the fact that S4 did not address the S3 cliffhanger (SAB47!!!!! The way they explained the cliffhanger being Jack had killed Irina and stuff the paper in a safe!!!???? That was a very weak explanation!!!!! I'm still waiting for the whole truth to come out!!)

So hopefully S5 would be better, and pick up all the pieces S3 and S4 left, and go out with a bang!!!!

I also love S3 the first time I saw it. But then I rewatched S1-S3 consecutively (I know, too much time on my hands :P ), I realized how inconsistent S3 was compared to S1 and S2. there were a lot of plot holes (although I liked the addition of Lauren)! Then I re-watched APO in S4, and realized how much more WORSE S4 was compared to S3 (thus really bad compared to S1 and S2!) The dynamic of the show was off---the pace was the show was slow, there was a lot of awkward stares and silences, the camera work was weird, Syd's acting seems to be off (compared to S1 and S2), the lighting was funny........ I could go on and on!!!!!!!!!!!! and the fact that S4 did not address the S3 cliffhanger (SAB47!!!!! The way they explained the cliffhanger being Jack had killed Irina and stuff the paper in a safe!!!???? That was a very weak explanation!!!!! I'm still waiting for the whole truth to come out!!)

So hopefully S5 would be better, and pick up all the pieces S3 and S4 left, and go out with a bang!!!!
Excellent point. As my sister and I watched season 4, we kept asking questions about different things and I am not sure they were ever answered. JJ Abrams said that they made season 4 focus on character development, just like season 1, so maybe it's just the beginning of many questions being answered... I hope so!
I also have to remember that it is not reality, so nothing really has an answer until the writers write it. :blush:

*Shrugs*

I love S3. Season 4 could have been better but, alas, I still enjoyed the show immensely *shrugs again*

As an optimist, I am holding out for the best. I am hoping that JJ is not misleading us, but many may consider me to be naive.

*Shrugs*

I love S3. Season 4 could have been better but, alas, I still enjoyed the show immensely *shrugs again*

As an optimist, I am holding out for the best. I am hoping that JJ is not misleading us, but many may consider me to be naive.
Then I am naive right along with you because I believe everything he says too! I am also an eternal optimist. It's way more fun to believe it will end up great because then I don't spend as long being disappointed if it doesn't go my way.

Totally agreeing with you IrinaRules.

S3 is what got me hooked onto Alias. After that I went out and bought S1 and S2 on dvd. All very good.

However, I am very disappointed in S4. Its only started airing in Australia, but I dont have that excitement each week waiting for the next episode. And I often find myself saying how stupid bits of it are.

For starters, and many might not agree with my opinion, but Im finding this season to be a big love fest between Sydney and Nadia. Its almost making me want to puke. The ep that just aired here was the one where Nadia got shot. And at the end Sydney said to her something along the lines of 'noone is going to keep us apart'. Honestly, I was expecting them to start kissing after that!

Im all for Sydney having friends. I loved her interacting with Will and Francie in the first 2 seasons, but this interaction with Nadia is annoying me. Its like they are creating angst between Nadia and Sydney by using Sydney's hatred of Sloane.

We're only half way through the season, so maybe things will pick up. But at this point, I will be honest and say I am not impressed. Enough of Nadia and enough of the father/daughter relationship between Sloane and Nadia because that is also making me sick.

Sorry guys!

Totally agreeing with you IrinaRules.

S3 is what got me hooked onto Alias. After that I went out and bought S1 and S2 on dvd. All very good.

However, I am very disappointed in S4. Its only started airing in Australia, but I dont have that excitement each week waiting for the next episode. And I often find myself saying how stupid bits of it are.

For starters, and many might not agree with my opinion, but Im finding this season to be a big love fest between Sydney and Nadia. Its almost making me want to puke. The ep that just aired here was the one where Nadia got shot. And at the end Sydney said to her something along the lines of 'noone is going to keep us apart'. Honestly, I was expecting them to start kissing after that!

Im all for Sydney having friends. I loved her interacting with Will and Francie in the first 2 seasons, but this interaction with Nadia is annoying me. Its like they are creating angst between Nadia and Sydney by using Sydney's hatred of Sloane.

We're only half way through the season, so maybe things will pick up. But at this point, I will be honest and say I am not impressed. Enough of Nadia and enough of the father/daughter relationship between Sloane and Nadia because that is also making me sick.

Sorry guys!
I'm with you, I never cared for Nadia very much. I am wondering if season 4 will be a lot better and make a lot more sense when we watch it on DVD, back to back episodes, instead of one a week? I won't say anything, lest I spoil anything for you that you haven't seen yet, but I can think of several storylines that are played out over many episodes in season 4. I think that when I get the DVD, more of it will make sense to me.

Well Im holding out that the rest of the season will play out better than what Ive seen so far.

Admittedly Ive seen all these episodes up to 10 already, someone copied them onto disc for me and I watched them on my computer. Even then I was not as intrigued, i thought it might be different watching on a big tv screen as opposed to on a computer. I was wrong.

However, I am keen on watching the shower scene between Syd and Vaughn on the big screen lol! I think that is coming up tomorrow for us.

Do you have any idea when season 5 is airing for you guys?

Well Im holding out that the rest of the season will play out better than what Ive seen so far.

Admittedly Ive seen all these episodes up to 10 already, someone copied them onto disc for me and I watched them on my computer. Even then I was not as intrigued, i thought it might be different watching on a big tv screen as opposed to on a computer. I was wrong.

However, I am keen on watching the shower scene between Syd and Vaughn on the big screen lol! I think that is coming up tomorrow for us.

Do you have any idea when season 5 is airing for you guys?
As a matter of fact, Season 5 begins in two days! Thursday evening at 8/7c. I've been waiting for some very long months for this...
I don't happen to believe the writers are just stringing us along. I think they really have something great this season and I am excited to see it.

I didn't mean to diss S3, however, after S1 and S2 it was a little uneven. There were still many great episodes and moments. Some that rank as almost "best ever" on Alias, but as a whole the Season was pretty inconsistent. What I meant, actually was that there were promises made that were later not fulfilled. Lauren didn't make any kind of sense. Storylines were too dark and convoluted. And then there was the Vaughn issue. The writers pretty much assasinated his character. And because he held that all important "guardian angel" role, that was a big no-no for me. One does not take 2+ years of character development and throw that away just because it feels right at the moment. A year ago I would have followed JJ and Alias storylines to the ends of the earth, but I really believe that this will be the last year, and I'm not willing to stomache a 3rd consecutive creatively uneven season. Not from the same group that brought us Seasons 1&2. It might sound stubborn but I believe they should finish it right, regardless of mistakes they might have made along the way. I don't care what it takes. Fix it.

Wow Ic ant believe S5 is about to begin, we reallya re behind in Oz.

Spydancer, I too wasnt happy that Vaughn moved on so quickly after Syd had died, but I didnt quite see it as character assasination thankfully. The only real thing that bothered me was when he threatened Jack about almost getting his 'wife' killed. I couldve killed Vaughn myself then for that comment because he knows what was st stake when Jack did what he did.

Im reading a lot of talk that S5 might be the last one. IS that specualtion or a real possibility? WHy would they end the show after only 5 seasons? Is it not doing as well as it could be?

i personally do hope that this isn't the last season, because its doing so well. they'd have to be crazy to finish it now wouldn't they!!??!! (y)

Ok I may be the only one, but I am kind of hoping that this IS Alias' last season. Here are my reasons:
1. End a show while it's still good. The show "friends" just went on waaaaay too long, for 10 seasons. I felt that they really began the lose their creative juices in seasons 6-8 or so and I got tired of it. I am afraid that the same thing may happen to Alias and I will be just waiting for it to end.
2. Contracts will be up. I can't imagine Alias without MV and JG especially and if they end it now, there is a better chance of it ending on a happy note with both of them still in it. If it runs too much longer, they're going to do something terrible to Sydney and Vaughn, I just know it.
3. Of course if both of these reasons could be avoided, then I would love for Alias to go on forever... if they still run Alias without MV and JG, I'd like them to title it differently so that I can get some closure if I decide not to watch anymore!

By the way spydancer, I agree with you on the fact that season 3 didn't jive with 1&2. But maybe the reasoning we can put behind it is that two years has supposedly passed... anyway, I also think they assassinated Vaughn's character in that season. I love Vaughn in 1&2, but when I got to 3, he dropped to about, oh number 5, on my list. Season 4 didn't really redeem him much in my eyes, so I think the main reason I like him is only for Sydney's sake!

Back