Jobs for Teens

Hibou

Cadet
Hey...I'm back again w/ another "Teens" thread :lol: :P (I think they should make a forum designated for teens ^_^ )

This time, it's about jobs. For the past few years, I've made my living off of babysitting. I earned 5 bucks an hour at one neighbor's house, and 8 @ another. For the past two summers, I've earned 600-ish dollars from the 5/hour house (she's a teacher and she had to teach summer school). I put a lot of this in the bank (and I can't take anything out of that, it's my college fund). Well, now I'm on the verge of having to make more regular payments, along w/ my expenses of buying whatever. These expenses being cell phone, pitching a little in for high-speed internet, etc. And I don't think my reserve of babysitting money is going to cut it anymore. I haven't babysat in about a month and would really appreciate a more consistent source of income, you know?

My whole question here is what kind of jobs do you other teens have, and do you have any suggestions for me

Most teens end up with jobs in fast food.

If your going to approach that angle, my tip for you is to try to get a place that isn't always packed. I worked at McDonalds for 2 years, and it's always a huge rush. So I would avoid that.

I also know a lot of teens seem to get jobs at camps, since you already babysit, that might be an option to explore.

Well, I don't think there are many camps that I could work for at this time of year ;)

God and I would hate to work at fast food....god you'd get all hot and it looks pretty dirty behind thosecounters.

And also,. I'm 14 and not many fast food places hire people that young. 14 is a legal working age in my state, and I know people who work at the grocery store who are 14. I'll probably end up going there.

My sister started work at Long's Drugs at age 15. I think a grocery store would be a great place to start. :smiley:

After that, she worked as a receptionist at Microsoft and now works at a national lab in Berkeley so yeah. :smiley:

Oh yeah, and before she worked at Long's Drugs, she was a babysitter.

I tried babysitting and I didn't like it. Little kids aren't my thing. So, I plan on getting a job at the mall when I'm 16. Seems like everyone I know does that.

I did the whole babysitting thing, didnt really work out for me. Not enough money in it for me. My life has changed since I got a real job. GET ONE. Yeah it sucks ass, but the cash is the s^it. I cannot talk about the cash enough. I used to work at Burger King but that place is a hell hole, so i quit and got a job at Domino's Pizza, and i kinda like it, the hours can suck (5-9 OR 6-10 EVERYDAY that your working) But the job is chill and so are the people...and the money is dank.

Lol thanks for your help guys. First, I know of VERY few places that would hire a 14 year old...and the grocery store is one. I don't think I could work at a fast food place, but I'd like to work at a bookstore in a few years...

I'm 14 also, and when I'm older (about 16) I want to work at Best Buy. For some reason (I dunno) it seems like a cool place to work. I like electronics. ^_^ I'm not sure if they will hire a fourteen year old though. My friend Nikki (also 14) works at Rosati's Pizza, so I say try a pizza place, but yeah, the hours can suck.

At 14, hate to say, but you aren't going to have a lot of options. I started out in the backroom at a restaurant washing dishes and busing tables. Eventually, I moved to waitressing and made good money there. :smiley:

just_her said:
I did the whole babysitting thing, didnt really work out for me. Not enough money in it for me. My life has changed since I got a real job. GET ONE. Yeah it sucks ass, but the cash is the s^it. I cannot talk about the cash enough. I used to work at Burger King but that place is a hell hole, so i quit and got a job at Domino's Pizza, and i kinda like it, the hours can suck (5-9 OR 6-10 EVERYDAY that your working) But the job is chill and so are the people...and the money is dank.
[post="1082729"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

im still in the babysitting phase. -_- it kinda works though!

<span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'>I'm 16 and I work as a saturday girl at a pharmacy, so I'll people their medicines and cosmetics and stuff like that, which is fun if you're busy but quite boring if you're not :smiley: </span>

I'll be 16 in March, & I'll be getting a job there. There's a Wendy's opening nearby soon, & they're going to need a lot of employees. This guy in my biology class last year was 17, or something, & when there was a whole bunch of places opening nearby in this plaza type place, & apparently, they were hiring everyone. So..uhh..that was something a little..uhh..well, if a new place is opening around, I'd advise you to apply there I guess.

& if I can't get a job there or elsewhere, I can work for the city. I know they hire teens.

--jenn :juggle:

hey jen, you have to be 16 to get a job in cali, right?

well anyway, i think people have already given you good ideas, Uncovering Alias. but from where ur at, it seems like the supermarket is the way to go.

alias8000 said:
hey jen, you have to be 16 to get a job in cali, right?

well anyway, i think people have already given you good ideas, Uncovering Alias. but from where ur at, it seems like the supermarket is the way to go.
[post="1085340"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Pretty much, although I know I could have worked for the city I live in at 14 years old. They give jobs to 14 year olds during the summer to work at parks & stuff. So, maybe they have something like that where you live.

--jenn :juggle:

I picked up an App for the supermarket yesterday...thanks for all your suggestions guys! And if this one doesn't work out, I'll just apply to the other grocery store, and then the other, if that one doesn't work out...we have about 4 grocery stores in our area. ;)

I work in a shop on Saturdays, and it's pretty fun. (Okay, I wouldn't find it so fun if I wasn't being paid, :lol: ). If the grocery stores don't work out, then see if you can get something waiting. I always found waitressing fun, because you never run out of things to do, so it's never really boring.

Jai

Back