Politics John Bolton

I understand that it's Bush's constitutional right to put someone in that position during recess, but what was the point of the hearings to begin with? If this was his plan all along then why did Congress spend all of that time debating whether or not Bolton was right for the job?

lol i was totaly looking for this thread to post a similar article, but from the AP. seeing one's already posted...i wont do that then lol.

maybe simply to show they oppose the idea of it? Bush's appointment of bolton wouldn't look so bad if people didn't oppose bolton to begin with. The more poeple oppose, the more it doesn't look so good on bush's part...least thats how i see it.

Jamison said:
I understand that it's Bush's constitutional right to put someone in that position during recess, but what was the point of the hearings to begin with?  If this was his plan all along then why did Congress spend all of that time debating whether or not Bolton was right for the job?
[post="1438069"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
i doubt this was his plan al along. i'm sure he hoped that bolton would be approved by the senate, but since that wasn't the case, he made the recess appointment. i personally think it was a horrible thing to do. i don't think the founders intended recess appointments to be used this way.

xdancer said:
i doubt this was his plan al along.  i'm sure he hoped that bolton would be approved by the senate, but since that wasn't the case, he made the recess appointment.  i personally think it was a horrible thing to do.  i don't think the founders intended recess appointments to be used this way.
[post="1438824"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think that he knew Bolton would face opposition and that the Democrats would fight it (thank goodness), and so in my mind it doesn't seem like so much of a stretch to believe that he thought about doing this all along...or maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

It's a really sneaky thing to do.

Back