Journals

Jaimie

Retired
I'll be trying to come up with a better name. Comments and critique welcome. This is the first fanfic I've written and posted in almost 2 years.....

Day 1
Sara

Today was my first day on the job. I had to go to solitary to do exams on the prisoners. I'm going to suggest having them come to the medical area. The dim lighting is not ideal for examining patients. Even if they are dying.
I know this will sound pitiful and cliched, but if there was one prisoner who stood out today during their examination, it was Lincoln Burrows. Everyone knows his story. He's imprisoned for murdering the Vice President's brother, but there is something about him. I don't mean this in the cliched prisoner-prison-doctor love story way. He just doesn't strike me as a murder. You can tell with the other inmates. It's as obvious to me as the color of their hair. There's something that changes a person when they murder someone. Lincoln just didn't have that. So either he's crazy or there's more to his story.
It's not like I can ask him, he's a very cold man. And to ask someone else would make it seem like I'm interested in him. I'm not really, I'm just curious. He seems rather caged when I was examining him. Almost like he has claustrophobia. When I checked his pulse, I noticed his heart rate was high as well. It could be the result of such a small cell, but it may be somrthing different. As a doctor that's my responsibility to determine, so I scheduled daily examinations.
Besides Lincoln Burrows, the other prisoners were in good health. I found a few to be rather creepy, but that's to be expected with the rapists and murderers. It is not my job to be judgemental to the prisoners, I am only here to treat them. Tomorrow I will be doing my own examination of the sicker prisoners. Well, at least the ones with health issues.
I'm thinking of trying to get permission to study the prisoners. I want to see if their interaction, or lack of, can cause health problems. I doubt I will get the permission though. Father would not like it and would probably use his power to deny that. Honestly though, I could care less what he thinks.
I wonder what he would think id I was to become involved with a prisoner...now that would almost be worth it. Well, I am finished writing for today. I just hope that in my contract there is not something saying I cannot keep a journal about my work here. Anyways, I have to prepare for tomorrow. My first patient of the day is scheduled to be Lincoln Burrows.

Day 1
Lincoln

I'm thankful for the scraps of paper and the pen they let me use. Even if I have to return it each night, I'm grateful the guard lets me use a pen. It's the only thing keeping me sane. That, and the fact that I'm innocent. I know and God know, and that's all that matters. I have faith that the truth will be discovered. All I wish is that LJ knew the truth.
Today the new prison doctor came to give me and the other solitaries a check up. Besides the patient-doctor questions, she was quiet. She requested I come for daily check ups, something to do with my heart beat. At least I get a few more minutes out of this cell.
I've been asked whether I'm afraid of my execution. Now I realize that I am starting to accept it. But I have to admit, I find the fact that they want me in perfect health to die is just amusing.
The guard is asking for the pen back. I'm just going to finish this bit. At least tomorrow I have my visit with Veronica and my exam to make sure I'm healthy enough to die, to look forward to.
I think prison has made me cynical.

Back