Horror Juan of the Dead (2011)

Tim

Creative Writer
Title: Juan of the Dead

Tagline: 50 years after the Cuban Revolution, a new Revolution is about to begin.

Genre: Horror, Comedy

Director: Alejandro Brugués

Cast: Alexis Díaz de Villegas, Jorge Molina, Andros Perugorría, Andrea Duro, Jazz Vilá, Eliecer Ramírez, Blanca Rosa Blanco, Susana Pous, Antonio Dechent, Eslinda Núñez, Elsa Camp, Pablo Alexandro González Ramy, Juan Miguel Más, Argelio Sosa, Marisol Egurrola, Diana Rosa Suárez, René de la Cruz Jr., Sandy Marquetti, Luis Alberto García, Olga Lidia Alfonso, Pablo Baena, Vicente Javier Olmedo, Enrique Gadea, Manuel Herrera, Mailyn Domínguez, Ulyk Anello, Zoraida Rosario, Eduardo Almirante, Pavel Giroud, Carlos Massola

Release: 2011-10-14

Runtime: 92

Plot: While Havana is full of zombies hungry for human flesh, official media reported that the disturbances are caused by dissidents paid by the United States. Panic seizes all until Juan comes to the rescue: he discovers he can kill the undead destroying his brain, and decides to start a small business under the slogan "We kill your loved ones."
Juan of the Dead (2011)

In a homage to Shaun of the Dead, check out this Cuban zombie comedy

I thought it was a pretty funny film. The lead actor kept getting confused in my head for someone else, John Turturro

Not available on Netflix yet but is listed to be saved for future if/when it becomes available. :smiley:

By coincidence I recently saw a blurb about this movie in Entertainment Weekly (a US magazine) and was intrigued; definitely will watch it when I can.

Well, it's difficult judging from the trailer how well filmed it is. I took a gamble after coming across the film on a blog. There is a really dodgy looking clip in there (the smoke filled street, with apparent blur in the camera, that looked better in the film itself and may have been a mistake by whoever encoded the trailer)

The camera work is very good, the actors are quite good, the script above average, the fighting scenes are quite comic like. The zombies act very well, and there are slow and fast zombies (and even a little discussion about them) This film has absorbed everything that has come before and ensured they don't make any "mistakes" and what with the genre it sits in, it is seriously is worth watching for those who loved Shaun of the Dead, although admittedly the music isn't as good.

.... a B-movie about Zombies from Cuba

Now, this is the point I'm going to have a hard time getting across. It sure didn't feel like a B movie. It has good production quality and a tight script. This isn't no Piranhaconda!

Now, this is the point I'm going to have a hard time getting across. It sure didn't feel like a B movie. It has good production quality and a tight script. This isn't no Piranhaconda!
With video that looks like it was shot on a home video camera & college-film level special effects, I'm not sure "good production quality" would be an applicable description.

Come on.... a B-movie about Zombies from Cuba... how could you possibly pass on that? :D

Well, I've seen a lot of zombie movies in my day, some great, some near great and some which are just plain broken beyond repair. I get the whole parody thing; for any movie genre to not take itself too seriously is a good thing. Comic relief is not wasted on this movie fan! I guess I'm getting spoiled lately with some of the superb zombie offerings which have been released in the last several years. I think any extremely low budget movie (horror, scifi or in any other category) is probably going to fail to grab my attention mainly because there are enough good choices to successfully compete for my applause.

With video that looks like it was shot on a home video camera & college-film level special effects, I'm not sure "good production quality" would be an applicable description.

That trailer is truly not representative of the film quality. The special effects are fine, in that they do not detract from the film.

Actionavenue said:
I think any extremely low budget movie (horror, scifi or in any other category) is probably going to fail to grab my attention mainly because there are enough good choices to successfully compete for my applause.

Don't pass this one over. There are loads of budget horror movies out there, I try to watch some when horror movie festivals result in a stream of them coming out. I recently saw Deadheads which I thought was okay. Juan of the Dead was a worthy use of my time and I think it will also be to many other people.

That trailer is truly not representative of the film quality. The special effects are fine, in that they do not detract from the film.

Don't pass this one over. There are loads of budget horror movies out there, I try to watch some when horror movie festivals result in a stream of them coming out. I recently saw Deadheads which I thought was okay. Juan of the Dead was a worthy use of my time and I think it will also be to many other people.

Ok, if you're going to twist my arm! Geez! LOL :D

Haha! Get in there! But if you ever catch me recommending SyFy original horror movies, you'll know I've lot the plot. This one, is just fine.