Jumped the Shark

Daniel

Cadet
This show has been edging away from it's early greatness ever since Francie became a "double". I thought it "jumped the shark" then; but seemed to find it's direction again somewhat. The problem became more apparent with the whole obsession with the Rimbaldi storyline. It reminds me of the X-Files alien obsession that took that show to it's grave. Now this finale is so asinine that it appears the writers did an Evel Knievel jump over the world's longest line of sharks. It has nothing to do with the whole Vaughn/Bristow romance either. Besides, Lena Olin is hotter anyway.

I agree that the Francie double was a bit out of it. But the Rambaldi plot, although slightly farfetched, has been important since the beginning. The show can't deny the existence of Rambaldi. Introducing him was both a great risk and a fantastic idea--a twist that no other spy drama has. To think that Rambaldi is too X-Files just now is a bit a late--having predicted over 47 events is itself unreal. But that fact has been known since Season One. It's the recent events that make fans disappointed with Rambaldi/the general plot. But Alias has already gone this far--I am 100% sure that the writers wouldn't take a jump without a solution hidden from public view. Alot of fans are disppointed with the last two minutes of the finale. The whole show cannot be judged on those two minutes. Sure, it ended our favorite TV couple (generally speaking). But the writers know how much the fans care about Sydney and Vaughn. They wouldn't abruptly tear them apart without a plausible reason or solution. Besides, the Sydney/Vaughn relationship isn't the core of the show. Despite its importance, a show can remove one of its highlights without ruining the whole show. I, personally, cheer on Sydney and Vaughn. But with or without their relationship, I'll enjoy the show for what it is. Spy action, spy drama, suspense, and dysfunctional family interaction. The show has much much much more to offer than a perfectly unbroken romance.

I don't think that the season finale was terrible at all. Those last two minutes didn't disappoint me, it has me waiting for the season premiere for everything to be explained. Sure the show has changed, and I agree with you and AliasALIAS that it got a wee bit weird when Francie turned Double. :rolleyes: I'll shut up before I start contradicting myself

AliasALIAS: First off, please note that I pointed out my complaint isn't related to the romance issue. Yes, the Rimbaldi storyline has been a running thread in Alias; as was the alien line in X-Files. The problem with both is that the storyline now dominates every episode. It's a sign of lazy writing. The show is now becoming a night-time soap opera. It would be nice to see more stand-alone episodes thrown in with original plot lines; as was done in season one. I would hope the national security agencies have more to do than send all their top agents after one group of bad guys incessantly.

I don't think ALIAS has jumped the shark at all...although if the writers aren't smart about what they do with 3.1, they might. Let's just hope the writers don't take the easy way out.......and I don't understand your point about stand-alone eps...do you have an example??

Nicely said AA and Jo. I agree that the finale wasnt terrible. It was shocking...very shocking but not terrible. The whole thing didn't seem very 'Alias Like' but I think that that was the whole point. Really once you think about it....where would Alias be without Rambaldi? I agree that the whole Freplica thing was creepy and I just hope that there is no more Freplica. I know that your point isnt about the Sydney & Michael relationship but I 100% have faith that they will still be together. I just dont get why there would be a 'spoiler' out like that so soon....I personally don't believe what I've heard. I haven't read a full article about it and I dont plan to.
To sum up what I have to say....Alias will find its way back...eventually....it always does.

I humbly beg your pardon if I'm wrong, but this post seems a bit troll-ish to me. If you think Alias has jumped the shark, stop watching. I could address your issues, but it's pointless.
-_-

go vh! the whole francie thing i hated... but i loved the finale! i thought it was pretty cool especially the last two minutes! there was a lot of s/v there!

Daniel said:
AliasALIAS: First off, please note that I pointed out my complaint isn't related to the romance issue. Yes, the Rimbaldi storyline has been a running thread in Alias; as was the alien line in X-Files. The problem with both is that the storyline now dominates every episode. It's a sign of lazy writing. The show is now becoming a night-time soap opera. It would be nice to see more stand-alone episodes thrown in with original plot lines; as was done in season one. I would hope the national security agencies have more to do than send all their top agents after one group of bad guys incessantly.
Excuse me for that. I must have assumed that you were affected mainly by the S/V situation.

I agree that Season One has a different style from Season 2, but Alias is still enjoyably original. Rambaldi is a unique and interwoven topic, but its importance hasn't taken over the show. Before and after Phase One, a large number of the shows did not centrally involve Rambaldi. The main driving point has been the Bristows, and we even saw more characters developed. We saw Dixon's family, how deeply he cared for them. Will had both a new love and a new profession. We saw Jack's feelings about his wife who betrayed him. Sloane's love for Emily, and vice versa. Irina's repeated betrayals along with her (seemingly) undying love of her family. Season 2 has paved the way for Season 3. Rambaldi only adds to the loveable complexity of Alias. I can't wait to see what it has in store for us

;) :smiley:

verdantheart said:
I humbly beg your pardon if I'm wrong, but this post seems a bit troll-ish to me. If you think Alias has jumped the shark, stop watching. I could address your issues, but it's pointless.
-_-
eH! ditto...

Daniel said:
I would hope the national security agencies have more to do than send all their top agents after one group of bad guys incessantly.
they have a lot of other agents doing other stuff for the country except they're probably sending sydney because she's been with it since sd-6 and everything. they aren't going to send someone with no experience in the matter.

I may not have liked such a cliffhanger ending but it has me waiting to see it for the Season 3 premiere, the writers had better be careful, but I think Alias is amazing! Then again what's the point? People like you don't want to listen to anything but what you want to hear! If you don't like the show then why are you here?

Nad said:
Then again what's the point? People like you don't want to listen to anything but what you want to hear! If you don't like the show then why are you here?
that's what i was trying to figure out.

Please everyone, let's not put people down because they didn't like the finale. People watch shows for different reasons and have different likes and dislikes. I don't think we should go as far as asking someone 'why are they here'. Their here voicing their opinion just like you are.

In my opinion JJ is making a mistake to have Vaughn married at all and to someone else to boot! That was only thing I didn't like about the finale. But we'll just have to wait and see where he's going with this. I really don't think JJ has fully made up his mind yet.

I'm sure he would have, because he's always done things and brought them up later on in the show, meaning he'd have to think ahead. I think he's got a general outline for the next few episodes, but not the whole plot. Sure it was disappointing to find out he was married, but there's a reason for everything, I'm sure we'll find out exactly what in season 3.

And I have to agree with VH on this

At first I thought the whole Francie double thing was wayyy off. I thought Sydney needed more allies. but now i think, that's the reason why i'm enjoying alias, and why i'm still watching it to this day. It's twisted, but it's not THAT off the wall. it's complicatedly smart, and that's what i like about it, the knowledge of the show. i know the season finale might have been a bit disappointing to many fans, but hey, it's the suspense, the drama, and everything else that adds on to the quality of the show.

I don't think it's entirely fair to judge the whole ep on the last two minutes. Yes, there are many unanswered questions, but that's what a cliffhanger is.
People like you don't want to listen to anything but what you want to hear! If you don't like the show then why are you here?
Both excellent points--couldn't have said it better myself. If you're that dissapointed with the way the show is, just don't watch it. The whole Rambaldi thing makes it stand out from other spy dramas, which is very neat.

Back