jumpers movie is based on the stars my destination

Haha, but wasn't the anti-hero in that with a travelling circus?

I really can't remember the details, they blur.

The story implied all people were capable of teleporting and required training, memorising locations they visit. Yet the main character could simply teleport anywhere with ease?

No secret organisations though, just flat out the governments didn't like him?

It's considered "must read" Sf, almost reached classic status! I only read it half a year ago or something, can't believe it took me that long to find it myself!

It's considered "must read" Sf, almost reached classic status! I only read it half a year ago or something, can't believe it took me that long to find it myself!

Definitely a classic. Many people, including myself, consider it to be one of the very best SF novels ever written.

Well, now I feel silly as I have not read it yet.

{Kevin adds a title to his list for the next time he visits the local book sttore.}

I had thought that Jumper was itself based on a novel by the same name?

i found it and am reading it. at this point i will say it will and is one of my favorites. i am so absorbed in it that i lose track of other things. that means it is an excellent novel for me.

still learning at my age. wonders never cease

Yes, the film 'Jumper' is (fairly loosely, I understand) based on the novel 'Jumper' by Steven Gould. I can certainly recommend the book, it's a good read (if not in the same class as "The Stars My Destination".

Incidentally, if you're reading TSMD for the first time, bear in mind that it was written 50 years ago, so some of the "future science" is now known to be wrong. That doesn't alter the fact that it's a cracking good read, though. It's quite short at about 200 pages, but it packs in more ideas and energy than you'd find in a fat modern trilogy.

thanks tony. you know i love those old gritty scifi novels. the technology may be outdated but the plot and sub-plots are the greatest. thats why i like reading TSMD, it just gets to the point without trying to impress the reader with technological know-how. dont get me wrong i do love tech novels also but if a story does not catch my attention within the first paragraph then i am not interested.

i am going to see if i can find the jumper novel and see how that rates.

what i would like to see is a movie or mini-series made of the well world saga. i read those when i was a teen and place them in my top ten of favorite novels. would also like to see the adept series by piers anthony into movie form.

geez here i go rambling again. i will stop for now. gotten way off subject here. :smiley:

What we all want to see are ANY film/series written and helped on set by decent Sf authors! There seems to be a conversion filter in place much like the kids game 'chinese whispers' that twists and destroys Sf in the stage between conversion!

Definitely a classic. Many people, including myself, consider it to be one of the very best SF novels ever written.

^^i agree. it's in my top ten. alfred bester's best.

and yes, TSMD came to mind when i watched JUMPER. i actually think it was somewhat inspired by the idea of jaunting introduced by bester in the novel, however indirectly. in the movie the jumpers had pictures of their jumpsites so i am assuming they had to physically know a particular place and memorize it before they can make it their jumpsite. and this was also a major requirement in jaunting.

and also in TSMD the first person to ever jaunt accidentally did it during a life-threatening situation which was also the case in JUMPER. i even think that the first "jump" scene in the movie was an homage to TSMD. :smiley:

Back