Just Can't Leave It Behind

My first Syd/Vaughn fic

Just Can't Leave It Behind
AU Sydney Bristow is a hostess at the number one restaurant in New York City and when she meets Vaughn for the first time, they don't really get along. They are forced to get along for their mutual friend and later it develops into more...

Disclaimer: I own nothing but my laptop and my camera. :(

Chapter 1

Sydney Bristow walked into Daniel’s restaurant ready for her interview. For two years she had been making her way up the ladder at the restaurant. She started out as a waitress and within eighteen months, she was the head of the wait staff. Today, she was going in for another interview, for a higher position. She was about to go into her interview for the position of hostess.

Daniel’s was one of the top five restaurants in New York City. Originally she had gone to work there because she needed money, but she ended up staying because of the people. The pay had been great, which helped when she was working on her degree, but now she had graduated. She didn’t want to leave because of her friends at the restaurant.

Eric Weiss was quickly becoming one of her best friends. He was the bartender at Daniel’s, and he was one of the most wonderful people that he had ever met. Weiss would come over to Sydney’s for dinner on their nights off sometimes. Francie and Will just loved him. Francie had told her to ask him out a few times, but Sydney couldn’t do it. She just wasn’t interested in him that way; she also didn’t think that he would want that too.

The restaurant was silent this afternoon. They wouldn’t be opening for four more hours. She looked around the room and saw Weiss pop up from behind the bar counter. “Hey Weiss,” she said cheerfully.

“Hey Syd, good luck today! I hope you get the job, you totally deserve it,” he said sincerely.

“Thanks.” Sydney looked around the room and stopped when she laid her gaze upon the closed office door, “Is he in yet?” she asked.

“Yeah, he got in a while ago. He seems to be in a good mood today so that’s good news.”

“Well, I’m going to go in now, I’ll see you later alright?” she got off the barstool and headed into her boss’ office.

“Sydney,” the man said, “How are you today?” he asked politely.

“I’m feeling great Dixon, thanks.”

“Please take a seat,” he said before indicating with his hand to the chair in front of him.

They went through her qualifications and talked about why she wanted the job, and an hour later Sydney left the office with a smile on her face. She walked over to the bar and Weiss instantly knew that she had gotten the job.

“I got it,” she said cheerfully. “I start on Monday!”

“Syd, that’s great!” he cried.

“I’m gonna go home and tell Danny.”

Sydney left the restaurant excitedly and went home as fast as she could. She ended up making it to the apartment in 45 minutes, which was exceptional during the day in New York City.

She ran through the front door of the apartment and called Danny excitedly. She had seen his car in the parking lot out front so he had to be home, but when he didn’t answer she began to look around the place. She heard sounds coming from the bedroom so she carefully walked through the hallway and stopped right outside the bedroom door when she heard a woman moan “Danny” in a moment of pleasure.

Sydney, stunned beyond all limits, pushed open the door and saw Danny lying on the bed with his hands on some blonde bimbo’s hips as she was ‘riding’ him.

“Bastard,” Sydney hissed and slammed the door. She heard him curse followed by some sounds of movement. The door quickly opened and Danny exited the room with a bed sheet wrapped around his waist.

“Syd, Syd please I can explain,” he stumbled.

Sydney smiled at him with tears in her eyes, “You don’t have to explain. I get it. You want something else. You couldn’t have made it any more clear,” she stated sadly. “I just came here to tell you that I got the promotion. But now, I’m going to tell you to go back in there and have some fun, while I go and forget about you. We’re through Danny.”

She turned from him and left the apartment, leaving a stunned Danny behind. She pulled her cell phone out of her purse and called Francie, telling her to meet her at the restaurant as soon as she could. She then called Dixon to tell him that she was coming in and he sounded very concerned for her. He treated her like a daughter most of the time, but when they were at work he treated her like the other employees. She liked it that way, because she didn’t talk to her father. He was absent for the majority of her life. After the death of her mother he had been so distant, she was practically raised by nannies.

She got to the restaurant quickly because this time, she took the subway, leaving her car at one of those park and ride places – she knew that she wasn’t going to be able to drive later. She went inside and saw the entire wait staff, as well as much of the kitchen staff with Dixon in the main dining room talking about what the evening’s schedule would be. Sydney saw Weiss as the bar – par usual, and walked right up to him.

“Syd, what’s wrong?” he asked when he saw her tear-stained cheeks and red eyes.

She smiled bravely at him and sat down on one of the bar stools. “I went home and found Danny…” she paused, not being able to fully believe that the ‘love of her life’ had cheated on her. “He was screwing someone else. In our bed,” she spat out.

Weiss’ face instantly contracted. “Syd, he’s not worthy of you. You’re too good for him. And, right now, I’m going to go and get some of the chefs and they will get their knives. We’re gonna go cut his heart out.”

Sydney laughed at his protectiveness, “Please don’t, Weiss. I’ll be okay. I just need to get away from him.”

At that moment Francie came into the restaurant. She stopped in the doorway when everyone in the room stared at her. She waved and sheepishly walked to Sydney who was talking to Weiss. “Syd, what’s wrong?” she asked when she saw her friend’s distressed state.

“Hey,” Sydney said.

“I’m just gonna go get ready for tonight,” Weiss said before going back behind the bar and organizing miscellaneous bottles of alcohol.

“Thanks Weiss,” she said before turning to Francie, “Danny cheated on me.”

“Oh, sweetheart, he’s nothing. He’s such a bastard! I say that Eric, Will and I go over to his place and kill him.”

Sydney laughed, “Weiss already threatened to do that… with the chefs.”

“They love you Syd. You really have a family here.”

Sydney smiled, “I know.”

“So tell me what happened,” Francie said.

“I came here and had my interview, and I got the job…” Francie squealed and offered her congratulations before Sydney continued, “So I went home and found him in bed with another girl. So I left the room and Danny followed. I yelled at him and then broke it off.”

“Sweetie, it’s gonna be alright,” she said as Sydney began sobbing in her arms.

The meeting between the rest of the staff was now over and they had begun to come over and offer their assistance in killing the bastard or a shoulder to cry on. She thanked everyone and just asked to be able to stay at the restaurant for the night so she could be around people. Dixon allowed this, but said that as long as she wasn’t really in the way she could be there.

“Francie, I’m going to be fine,” Sydney said.

“I know something that can make you feel better!” Francie exclaimed, “We just got the new collection from D&G!” she smiled brightly. Francie had recently been hired as the head of the designer department at Neiman Marcus, which was great for Sydney because she could use Francie’s employee discount.

“Oh, that’s great! Can I come by tomorrow and buy some new stuff?” she pleaded.

“Why else would I have brought it up?” Francie laughed.

An hour later the restaurant was beginning to fill with the pre-show crowd. Sydney stayed at the bar with Francie, talking about what an ass Danny is and it was slowly making her feel a bit better.

When the pre-show rush had ended and the post-show crowd was beginning to fill the place up again, Sydney decided that it was time for her to go home. She told the guys that she’d see them on Monday when she started her new job as hostess. That was something she was actually looking forward to.

Chapter 2

Hope you enjoyed it! Please read and review. If you want a PM, just ask! :D

Edited to put in the chapter link...

Just wanted to let you know how much I loved this first chapter. Please add me to your PM list, and I hope there's some Syd/Vaughn action soon. He's just the thing to help her get over stupid Danny!

Awwww, I like it so far. It's a very unique AU and I can't wait to see what is going to develop between Vaughn and Sydney. I wonder if that was Alice that Danny was screwing!! Wouldn't it be cool if it was? I can have a PM when you update please? Thanks (y)

Back