Kids

Well?

• Total voters
Heh, it's a big joke on my team that I'm in favor of killing kids. ;)

Lemme guess: You didn't see them? They shouldn't have been in the road? You thought you were OK to drive?

I've heard it all before, Div, but it doesn't matter how you make light of it; Those parents won't get their kids back. They're gone, and there's nothing that can be done.

:smiley:p)

There is already too much reward for socially destructive behavior in mmo games. Would be nice to see a company be brave and not follow that current.

There is already too much reward for socially destructive behavior in mmo games. Would be nice to see a company be brave and not follow that current.

"Socially destructive behavior"? So, not in favor of the wholesale slaughter of "innocence", then? That's no fun... Seriously, though, I usually play the good guy. Children are so full of ignorance and hate that it's difficult for me to have a problem with them being beaten down in a game, though.

Anything that add to immersion is good as far as i am concerned. Kids are part of any social human gatherings. Remove anything out of that social gathering and you're left with a; Where the heck are the female giants? or the... " Must be a lonely life being a bunch of ice giants with no female around!"

Sure it's a detail that doesnt really influence gameplay directly but having them, the kids in the game create a world that is much more believable!

if you wana kill the kids, by all means go nuts but there should be consequences to that, which i think and hope is what will be like in HJ from what i've read.

Loose customers how so? One of the best selling PC and consolde game the last few years is Grand Theft Auto series.

Violence wether it's against people, object and such sells! I dont think killing kids in game would make me disregard a game. Now if someone made a game and the goal would be to ONLY kill kids i dont think it would draw me in at all. However if HJ would have me do a quest and one of the goal was to kill a kid for some reason or another. I wouldnt really think twice about it. It's part of the quest/story and it's fine by me. What would make it interesting would be to give me choices as to what to do. Do you outright kill the kid, or could i simply just knock him out? Or better yet fool the kid to achieve my goal.

Gamer dempgraphics have changed a whole lot compare to what they were 20 years ago. Folks who were raised with Super mario brother and donkey kong are older and should be able to differentiate between a game and a real killing of a human being. We're seeing more and more mature games (by mature i dont mean adult games) and if it is ok to see or presume to see Anakin killing young padwans....why isnt it ok in a video game setting?

Video games have to grow up still a tad i think but you will always have folks for whom those acts in a game or fiction setting is wrong.

I've read through all eleven pages, and I'm seeing some rather good points on both sides of the discussion so far. Thus, instead of adding my own opinion in, I'll simply seed some further discussion with an anecdote of mine.

In DragonRealms, character creation had an element of uncontrollable chance to it. You could of course pick your race and looks, and then go find a profession, but certain factors were always random. Your stats, for example, were randomly rolled out based on presets. More interesting, however, was the fact that age was randomly determined along a bell-like curve (I think), and the consequences this could have.

-------

One day, my Empath, Manakai, was wandering through the crossing and he came across someone acting oddly. She was jumping around the benches in the park, picking up leaves, and generally acting kind of silly. So I looked at the lass, and was shocked to see she was just a little girl! Four years old abouts, if I recall. So, I sat on my usual bench/bed and kinda rummaged through my pack for items, all the while watching this strange girl.

So after awhile I struck up a conversation and chatted with this magnificent roleplayer. I think the little girl was Elothean, and we chatted about the local going ons and such. She seemed interested in my chainmail and asked if I was a great warrior, and I explained nope, I was an Empath, and then I had to explain that I was a Field Medic. She overall thought I was silly and strange, and she ran off after awhile promising to visit me again sometime. She did so on a number of occasions.

Being a fluff collector, I would make trips to the curio shop in Shard and out to the islands looking for new, neato-skeeto trinkets and stuff. It was my hobby, and whenever this adorable little Elothean girl came around I'd show her my latest finds, run through all the verbs I knew, perform magic tricks, and sometimes offer her any number of silly things I'd found in my travels as gifts. I'd tell her stories about the crystal flowers outside of Shard, and how they were a product of life sculpting, about my favorite trees, the copperwoods, and of course, my tales of fighting pirates.

At one point she disappeared for about a month, and then eventually came around to see me. She'd been on a journey with her mother, she said, and had gone to Riverhaven for a while to visit family. She told me the cutest story about chasing a speckled rabbit into the Riverhaven bank. And then she told me about how her mother took her out into the wilderness and they found a grove of copperwoods, and how she had wished I had been there to see it. And then, out of the blue, she starts looking through her pockets, pulling out buttons and string and such, before she took out a single copperwood leaf and handed it to me with a silly grin. I couldn't think of anything to say. It was the best present I had ever gotten. All I could think to do was to gave her my prized crimson pirate sash, which I had found while out on the islands.

-------

During one of the wars, I was out in the streets tending to the wounded. It was a pretty big invasion, Crossing streets were pretty over run. I was on my way out the west gate see if anyone there needed aid. Just before I got to the gates, my heart stopped. The little girl was dead on the ground with S'lai milling about around her. I almost died myself, because I literally could not type a command for about half a minute while fighting off tears. I only barely got away, with a pretty bad wound in my abdomen as price. I tended it for a moment a few rooms away, and then ran back in there to drag the poor girl to the Clerics. I couldn't make it all the way because of my wound. Someone came along and found me on my back, exhausted. I told them to get the girl to the clerics. They wanted to help me first, since I was an Empath and could do more good for others by healing. I steadfastly refused. So they took the poor girl the rest of the way.

I had to get off the streets. I dragged myself to the Tanner's, since I was just east of it. Inside, I spent some time removing the crossbow bolt that had partly rearranged my innards. When I was shakey but stable, I ran like hell to the Clerics. Some venerable elder cleric had taken care of the poor girl, so I thrust my gembag into her hands, insisting she accept it as payment. Thankfully, she did, albeit with some hesitation. From there I limped back to the Empath's guild to recover from my wound and help tend the other infirm.

-------

Children, and their deaths, can and do have very strong effects on people, even if it's just a game. Part of me hates the memory of that terrible ordeal. The other part of me wouldn't trade it for the world.

~Dune Walker~

That's exactly why in the end I voted for death of children, Dune. As long as it is done tastefully without the constant slaughter of toddlers then it creates an emotion in most and, while I might hate the feeling it gives me in books, it's so intense that it makes me love the over all story more. I know Glenda Larke particuliarly gets me through this strange painful love in her book called The Aware. A little boy in it ends up dying cold and alone without anyone realizing when or how it happened. It just made me put down the book for a moment and almost cry.

That story you said about the little girl brought back a little of that emotion for me too.. It hurts, but when it's not REAL and it hurts like that, it brings to mind so much realism, making that character of yours feel so much more tangible.

See, that's exactly what I hope for in games. A book like experience, only more alive and interactive. I've not read many books where a child dies per se, but when a beloved character of any sort dies in a book, you may hate it, but you love the story more for it.

Merely in the fantasy genre, Sturm Brightblade is a classic example, as is Flint Fireforge. Lord of the Rings features Gandalf's death (and rebirth of course) as well as that of Boromir. Notable deaths have a strong pull on people in dramatic art forms, and as has been mentioned in this thread, when it is a child, most people feel that death all the more powerfully.

~Dune Walker~

Random critters are usually killable. Why are they less innocent? Aren't there animal cruelty laws? Who really cares, it's a game. Don't promote it, but banning it creates more need to suspend disbelief. Not needed.

Do you mean the human "version" of mad-cow disease? (if you don't know, cows get it from eating cows, there is evidence that humans get something similar from eating humans, but it takes a while to show up.)

(I watch way too many documentaries)

More immediate than potential health problems would probably be the grief stricken and vengeful family and townsfolk with sharp, pointy, stabby kinds of implements, probably combined with fire and other unpleasant things which would likely be applied to you liberally and with force.

~Dune~

I think anyone who would actually eat a human child would have some other mental disorder, so it'd be irrelevant what they got from actually eating the child.

Of course, the lynch mob wouldn't ponder this. Not even after quartering you!

Back