Klingon Ring... With An Eagle?!

Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Tonight I was taking a diversion from work and was surfing Amazon a bit for Star Trek related stuff. One of the items that caught my attention was a "Klingon Translator Ring" that kind of reminded me of the old 'secret decoder rings' you'd find in cereal back in the day (Hey, Ralphie, "Be Sure To Drink Your Ovaltine" :LOL:).

Here's the link to the listing... Amazon.com: Klingon Translator Ring Black Size 10: Clothing

What made me do a double-take is what is pictured on the inside of the ring.

upload_2016-9-12_19-54-7.png

Is... is that a Nazi Eagle logo? :wideeyed: Some weird Klingon Bird Of Prey logo maybe? Hopefully?

Okay number one proof positive you are a geek!
:D At least I openly admit it. I should get a t-shirt made.... "I was a geek before geeks were cool!"

Yeah the Eagle is slightly worrying given the connections.
What was even odder is that poking around the other rings from the vendor none of them had anything on the inside of the band, just this one particular ring in this color.

Hmmm, the symbol doesn't quite match, the wings are larger and the circle drawn too far up into the body of the eagle. However, a number of neo-nazi groups have modified it and the image isn't clear enough to make out one way or another...so I put a question on Amazon about it ^_^. I figure someone is likely to freak out and try to correct me. Would have contacted the seller directly, but couldn't find a place to do so.

So, I got an answer. The symbol on the inside of the ring is the company's logo.
When you can see a unblurred image of it(Retroworks) it is fairly different from the nazi version. The seller was actually quite grateful to have the issue brought up, saying they would speak to their artist about making it more clearly different.

@JacenAster thanks for reaching out to the vendor with my curiousity item! (y)
So, I got an answer. The symbol on the inside of the ring is the company's logo.
When you can see a unblurred image of it(Retroworks) it is fairly different from the nazi version.
Ah... that seems to make a difference! Retroworks - Secret Decoder Rings

Looks like it's a case where shrinking down the big logo results in it looking like something else entirely unintended.

logo.png

Umm, that is not the logo that is depicted in the ring. There are 7 circles inside the circle in the ring where the logo has wxyz. It is obvious it is not a misprint of the logo.
It doesn't appear to be a neo-nazi logo either

323016.jpg

These are Eagle Logos

c26930342782ce493d34c97e94442a11.jpg

upload_2016-9-12_19-54-7.png

Umm, that is not the logo that is depicted in the ring. There are 7 circles inside the circle in the ring where the logo has wxyz. It is obvious it is not a misprint of the logo.
Yeah, I see what you mean. The actual company logo, when shrunken, should resemble the BMW propeller logo but the version on the ring has the circle area sectioned off.
It doesn't appear to be a neo-nazi logo either
Most of those symbols are from modern hate groups. The 'classic' Nazi eagle from the 30's & 40's went through several variations and, at the moment I forget without looking it up, there is symbolism behind the head facing left or right. From memory I think the head was facing left before the Nazi party the actual ruling organization of Germany and facing right was after.

Below is an example from the time period with the eagle facing right....

article-2620605-1D95A57100000578-548_306x423.jpg

Yeah, I see what you mean. The actual company logo, when shrunken, should resemble the BMW propeller logo but the version on the ring has the circle area sectioned off.
... but it does kind of resemble their web sites browser icon file.
favicon.png

Keep in mind that what is on the ring has to be a modified version, as the ring is black, and thus the logo sections that are black on the website would be altered for the ring. Taking into account those changes, is clearly IS the company logo, modified for white-only. More to the point, it wasn't only the company that I got feedback from, 3 separate people who own the ring also answered the question, stating that it was the Retroworks logo.

@JacenAster thanks for reaching out to the vendor with my curiousity item!
You're most welcome ^_^. The vendor seemed to be more than a little glad to be made aware of the issue. I think I might have given them a minor heart attack over what it could do to their PR ;-p.

Back