Last One Standing

Last One Standing

She knew the meaning, Last One Standing to a new level. She never faltered when someone close to her was struck down, even permanently. She had hardened herself to it. She didn't feel it like some did. She didn't flinch when the news came on that people were dying, not the AIDS, or September 11th. She just didn't care anymore. There was no one who she cared for anymore.

“Syd. You need to get up, get fresh air, something.” Vaughn pleaded, trying to tug her up from the curled up position she had been lying in for hours. She hadn't moved. She just lied there. Staring. She took the news like she had many others. She refused to be budged. “Come on, please, just eat?” He knelt down beside her, looking her directly in the eyes. She ever flinched. He reached to smooth down her hair, but she recoiled, letting another tear slid gently down her face.

Flashback

“Ma'am. There was a terrible accident. You're father and sister were DOA. I'm so sorry.” The man said. Sydney had answered the door, slightly annoyed at how late her normally strictly on time family was.

“Wh-what?” She'd croaked. Then, as the news hit her, she fell to the floor, in sobs. Her only family. Her mother had died at an early age. She curled on the ground, rocking back and forth, incoherent and in her own world, and now alone.

“Um, ma'am is there anyone that can help you?” He asked, slightly taken aback at her response. Vaughn, who had just finished showering, came running out, he'd left a perfectly happy wife, sitting watching an old rerun of Friends. He picked her up into his strong arms and cradled her. He glanced at the man.

“I'm all alone now.” She whimpered softly, so softly that it almost was a whisper. He smoothed down her hair, understanding immediately.

“It's going to be alright.” He'd said, little did he know how hard this road was going to be.

End Flashback

Here he was, caring for his wife. It was like trying to get past a steel wall, she had blocked out everything. She had been like this for 5 days. He had made all the preparations for the funeral. He picked her up and carried her to the bedroom where he shoved her limp arms and legs into the dress he had had his mother help him pick out 2 days prior. She was stunning as usual, except for the vacant look in her eyes.

“It's time to go, sweetheart.” He said, caressing her against his chest. He placed her in the car where she promptly curled up like a cat on the seat and he just drove slowly to the funeral home like that, ignoring the honking horns of the other disgusted drivers. He didn't want to risk anything for his precious cargo.

“... and they were caring, giving people. My wife suffered a great loss when she lost two of the people dearest to her. She will miss them for the rest of her life, and never forget what great people her sister and father were. We will all miss them.” Vaughn concluded as he read the eulogy. He stood before his fellow APO members and several people who just knew Jack or Nadia. He had pleaded several “sick” days off from Arvin Sloane, who had willingly given them in the end. He said they had as long as was needed.

Several Months Later

Vaughn had started back to work. He just left her. She had gone catatonic, she didn't move, she didn't talk, she had be hand fed, she was a shell, nothing was left of the Sydney Bristow he knew. The Sydney Bristow he knew was happy, excelled at her job, and could handle more than anyone he knew. She handled losing her fiancée Danny, lost him to Lauren for almost 3 years, lost her mother twice, and now this. This must have been the final straw for her mind. He just tended to her, and left the tv running while he worked half days, always finding it on the same channel he left it.

“Sydney, I'm home!” He called out, just like he always did. He'd stop expecting a response.

“Va-Vaughn?” Came the raspy response.

“Oh my God!” He exclaimed, rushing into the den where he found his wife beaming. “I love you, you know that?” She nodded and reached out for a hug. He hugged her tightly, cherishing the moment.

“I never knew you talked so much! You mother, I never thought she would shut up!” She said suddenly. Vaughn just laughed and laughed, he never had found anything more beautiful than her voice.

“Hungry?” She nodded.

“Ravished!” She said, beaming. They ate a simple dinner of spaghetti, but Vaughn kept on smiling and talking about small things. Afterwards, she went back and sat on the couch, fiddling with the ragged edges of the couch where she had been lying for months. He watched her carefully, curled up in a chair, where he had been spending a lot of time.

Suddenly, they both jumped as his cellphone started to dance as it rang and vibrated. He got up slowly and answered it, returning to sit down in the chair.

“I'll be right there.” Vaughn's phone made a small beep as he hung up. “Syd, I really really don't want to leave you, but they need someone to go on a small mission, my mother will check on you, I'm really sorry.” He said, apologizing, and hating his job.

“It'll be fine.” She gave him a lengthy kiss before sitting down to turn on the tv. “I love you.”

“Love ya too.” He hugged her awkwardly from a standing position, and grabbed his car keys while hurrying out.

“Wait, Vaughn! Don't go!” She called, knowing in her heart it would be the last time she would see him, but he didn't hear her, and the door slammed shut and she started to sob again as her world was about to fall apart. So she waited, her face towards the phone, waiting for the call to come or the door.
She still jumped though, even when she was expecting it. A man stood in the doorway, wringing his hands.

“Erm...Is Mrs. Vaughn there?” He asked, because Amelia answered.

“In here.” Sydney curled up and let her mind overtake her, she knew what was about to happen. She felt her eyes widening into the endless stare and she didn't hear what the man said, she knew what was going to happen.

I'm the Last One Standing.” Were the last thoughts that ever crossed Sydney Bristow's mind.

-depending on my responses, i might write a sequel, happy reading :smiley:

so saad just when she got better he's maybe gone(sheesh that sounds so weird) sequal! please! and pm when you do please!

That was soooo sad! Horrible! Vaughn took such good care of Syd, how could you take him away? Aweful! But if you write a sequal, please send me a pm! Thanks!!! Great story, just very sad!

That was so sad. After she thought she lost everything...she really did lose everything. If you do a sequel I hope Vaughn's death turns out to be untrue.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

OMG.Poor Syd. She lost everything but Vaughn was there for her and helpher. And then she really lost everything (n)
Amazing job :smiley:

Oh. My...
I loved it...
Syd's reaction to the death of Nadia and Jack was so real...
even the strongest people have a breaking point.
Thanks for the pm.

Back