Late Night with David Letterman #01

Late Show with David Letterman - July 15th

Paul McCartney was at the Ed Sullivan Theater 45 years ago when the Beatles were introduced to North America.

Sir Paul told some stories about the Beatles and a story how he had inadvertantly convinced Michael Jackson to buy the Sony Beatles catalogue. Paul and Michael were collaborating and had two singles, 'The Girl Is Mine' and 'Say Say Say' in the early '80s. After Michael bought the catalogue, Paul suggested that the Beatles deserved more royalties since the record company negotiated less-than-generous terms with the newcomers to the music business. Michael didn't want to change anything and said that it was 'just business', so Paul stopped asking. Then their contacts faded away. Paul said that he had good memories of Michael and still thought of him as a friend.

After the commercial break, Paul then gave an outdoor mini-concert on the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theater. I guess Dave made arrangements with the city to close off the block in front of the theater. There was a fairly big happy crowd to see Sir Paul play "Get Back" and "Sing the Changes."
I've read that concert continued for several songs after the Letterman cameras stopped rolling just for the gathered audience. It included classics like “Back In The USSR”, “Band On The Run”, “Let Me Roll It”, “Helter Skelter” to name a few. That was very nice of Sir Paul.
--
http://www.etonline....6441/index.html
Paul McCartney Remembers Michael Jackson
Posted July 16, 2009 12:35:00 AM

On Wednesday night's "Late Show with David Letterman," Paul McCartney opened up about befriending and later drifting apart from Michael Jackson.

Paul said Michael originally called him up in the early '80s asking if he wanted to make some hit songs together.

"You know, he came to my house and we got to know the family and stuff," the 67-year-old legend told Dave. "We had a really good time. We made a couple of records together ["Say Say Say" and "The Girl is Mine"], did a video and were very good friends."

The friendship was never quite the same, though, after Michael bought the Beatles music catalogue and decided not to sell it to Paul.

"He kept saying, 'That's just business, Paul, you know,' so I went, 'Yeah, it is,' and waited for a reply. But we never kind of got to it and I thought, 'Mmmmm,' so we kind of drifted apart. It was no big bust-up. We kind of drifted apart after that. But he was a lovely man, massively talented and we miss him," Paul said.

After the interview, the former Beatle and his band rocked atop the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theater overlooking downtown NYC, playing "Get Back" and "Sing the Changes."

UPDATE: I found this story on the internet about rumours about Michael was going to give his stake in the Sony catalog to Paul. Here, Paul says he never believed that it would happen. http://www.guardian....michael-jackson