Learning to Drive

Sabella

Cadet
I thought as there must be some of us that are going to learn to drive soon we could all help each other by learning the highway code and the theory stuff for the exam! I can't wait to be able to drive :woot:

California and the US is obviously different, but it's really easy to learn. The multiple choice test is really easy, I barely even studied for it and I got all answers right.

Behind the wheel drivnig, I was really nervous at first so I drove really slowly. But one thing I've learned is, even if you're a bad driver, it's not like people just wanna crash into you. :P Most drivers will be just as careful as you are, so relax! If you make a wrong turn, change lanes too quickly, people will (hopefully) stop.

Yeah... I still get nervous when driving, but that keeps me calm :lol:

I like driving... but ... I have an incredibly embrassing story that i'm not gonna tell but I know that I'll never make that same mistake EVER again. :lol:
--Mandy :angelic:

aliasobsessed89 said:
I've been so lazy, it's been almost a month since my b day and i still don't have my permit :angelnot: but i'm going to study online soon i promise lol.
[post="1469660"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ooh, do not feel lazy at all!! I'm even more lazy. I'm 17 and still haven't got my permit. Now I just wanna wait a little more so I don't have to take any classes, but I feel so ashamed when people ask me if I can drive yet and I have to say no.

AliasALIAS said:
But one thing I've learned is, even if you're a bad driver, it's not like people just wanna crash into you. :P Most drivers will be just as careful as you are, so relax! If you make a wrong turn, change lanes too quickly, people will (hopefully) stop.

[post="1469838"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Uhh that may be true in many states, not so in Austin, TX. We have hands down some of the worst drivers the world over. You don't know how many rear end jobs I've seen here just people driving like freaking maniacs. Everyone here drives a freaking truck the size of a Abrams tank, and they go 70 miles an hour, with their engine practically in your trunk. And some how they think 4 wheel drive is the cure all for any traffic related situations. So inside the rain, they'll be going 70 miles an hour down mopac, thinking 4 wheel drive will give them better traction. Which it doesn't. Definitely drive defensively, don't assume that everyone else is gonna be prepared to compensate for your mistakes. No body wins when you get in an accident.

Xin Li.

Where I live at, we can get our learner's permit at 14, then we get our restricted liscense at 15 and get the full-blown liscense at 16.

For testing, when you get your permit you only have to take a multiple choice test, then when you get your liscense you have to take a multiple choice test and driving test unless you had taken driver's education.

I was SO nervous the first time I drove, I was so frantic and I hated backing up. Then I couldn't even pull in next to the curb without it looking so messed up. It was horrible. Then I curbed checked, also on the last day of driver's ed I parked on the wrong side of the street and my driver's ed teacher was debating whether they should pass me or not. I was also extremely nervous driving by myself for the first time it freaked me out. Now I love driving! Especially by myself. :lol:

Heh they've passed a rule that anyone born from '89 onwards can't even learn to drive till they're 18 in the UK! Luckily I'm born in '88 so I can start to learn to drive on my 17th birthday which is in october!

In NH, you can get your permit at 15.5 (don't even need to fill out info, just need to keep a copy of birth certificate in the car) and license at 16. I can get my permit in November.

spy_girl21 said:
Where I live at, we can get our learner's permit at 14, then we get our restricted liscense at 15 and get the full-blown liscense at 16.

I was SO nervous the first time I drove, I was so frantic and I hated backing up. Then I couldn't even pull in next to the curb without it looking so messed up. It was horrible. Then I curbed checked, also on the last day of driver's ed I parked on the wrong side of the street and my driver's ed teacher was debating whether they should pass me or not.  I was also extremely nervous driving by myself for the first time it freaked me out. Now I love driving! Especially by myself. :lol:
[post="1470807"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
14 :jawdrop: where is that at?!?!?!?!

and dude i STILL cannot back up. I've had my license for 4 years and i can't do it right. Somehow oncethe car is in reverse my brain just stops working and i get all befuddled :lol: its sad really

wow, the driving permit stuff is different all around the world!! In australia it is totally different to the USA. Here in QLD, you have to be 16 and a half to get your learners permit (which you get by taking a test), then you have to have that for a least 6 months, but you have to be 17 to get your provisional drivers license. You have to hold your provisional licencse for 3 years for most people (it depends on how old you are, most people have it for 3 years), then when you've held that for 3 years you get your open licensce (im getting mine tommorrow!!!)
when you have your provisional licensce you have 4 points and cant drink any achohol, when you have your open license you have 12 points and must have a blood achohol limit of 0.05 or less. most people here are on their opens by 21.

we also have bad drivers here - they arent exclusive to anywhere in particular :D

SkyGirl5 said:
14 :jawdrop: where is that at?!?!?!?!

and dude i STILL cannot back up.  I've had my license for 4 years and i can't do it right.  Somehow oncethe car is in reverse my brain just stops working and i get all befuddled :lol: its sad really
[post="1471114"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Kansas, basically since there are(well used to be) a lot of farmers, they needed their kids to help out on the farm. So when you turn 14, you have the option of getting a Farmer's Permit to be able to help out, but I didn't get that and got the plain old Learner's Permit(an IP). I could drive anywhere with my parents in the car. It's kind of nice but your parents tend to drive you crazy after awhile, well my mother drove me crazy. :P

SkyGirl5 said:
and dude i STILL cannot back up.  I've had my license for 4 years and i can't do it right.  Somehow oncethe car is in reverse my brain just stops working and i get all befuddled :lol: its sad really
[post="1471114"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Maybe there is an auto-befuddlement jinx on all the cars you drive that kick into place when you put the thing in reservse.

sarks_princess said:
we also have bad drivers here - they arent exclusive to anywhere in particular :D
[post="1471805"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah, but I bet they all were spawned from the darkest devil pits in Austin.

A raise of a hand (or say I)

Who hates learning to drive with their parents. As in having your parents teach you to drive, with you driving and them on the side?

*raises hand*

--Mandy :angelic:

Back