Leaving's Not Leaving Series

Bring Me Down
By: Eva Marie Rayne
Rating: PG
POV: Sydney (but there's a switcheroo)
Ship: former S/V
Disclaimer: I don’t own the song used or Alias.
Summary: You can look me in the eye and break my heart…

*Sweet like a kiss, sharp like a razorblade
I find you when I’m close to the bottom*

I looked around the cold, bare cell I’d been thrown in. We’d been caught by the North Korean army and were minutes away from facing a firing squad.

“We’re not gonna make it out of here.” Vaughn said, breaking the tension-filled silence between us.

“There’s something I need you to know.” I stopped pulling at the shackles around my wrist to look at him.

“Vaughn…” I said, knowing what was coming.

“In my life, there is only one person…” He began.

“Don’t do this.” I pleaded, tears beginning to form in my eyes as I looked away.

“Look at me.” He said. I slowly looked back into his eyes. I saw what was coming, but I couldn’t bear to hear him say it.

“Vaughn.” I started, but abruptly stopped myself to think.

“The only reason I pushed you away…” He said, trying to explain himself.

“Please.” I pleaded, trying to get him to stop.

“The only reason I pushed you away…” He said. I heard keys rattling and soldiers shuffling about.

“They’re coming.” I said, looking at the door.

“Sydney.” He tried again.

“I know, Vaughn. I know.” I said, turning to whisper in his ear, “We’ll find each other. We always find each other.”

I smiled at him weakly and kissed his cheek. He turned to me, crashing his lips into mine. We kissed gently, but with a frantic pace, knowing we might not have the chance to do it again.

The guards ripped us apart violently and we were led outside to face the firing squad. We looked into each others’ eyes, knowing we’d find each other. Instead, we were saved and brought back to Los Angeles. I thought things would finally go back to the way they should be, but Vaughn found himself in Lauren’s arms once again and I was left heartbroken.

*You can't appreciate the time it takes
To kick a love I always knew was kind of wrong*

“Vaughn, I can’t do this anymore.”

“What do you mean?”

“I can’t sit here and watch you with another woman while you keep me on a baited hook.”

“Baited hook? Sydney, you know I care about you but I’m not-“

“I won’t be the other woman in your marriage.”

“You’re not the other woman. Lauren and I are divorcing anyway.”

“I’m leaving.”

“What? Where?”

“I don’t know.”

“How can you just leave when you don’t know where you’re going?”

“Because after 2 years of being in love with you unconditionally, there have been too many conditions now. I can’t do it anymore.”

“Sydney, don’t leave like this.”

“I’m sorry Michael. Goodbye.”

*And as I'm putting out the flame
Somebody brings up your name*

I packed the last of my things and got myself ready for bed. I would load my truck in the morning and just drive until I found a suitable place. There wasn’t much else I could do.

As my head was about to hit the pillow, I heard a knock at the door, followed by the door opening.

“Syd, it’s me.” Eric’s familiar voice rang through my apartment.

“I’m back here.” I called. I heard his footsteps come closer until he peeked his head into my bedroom doorway.

“Why’s it so empty around here? You planning on moving and leaving us behind?” I said nothing.

“You’re seriously leaving?”

“Yeah. Tomorrow morning I’m getting up early and probably going to New Mexico. It seems really nice there.”

“You know you can’t leave like this.”

“Eric, I just can’t live this life anymore.”

“You mean you can’t live your life with Mike around?” Tears began to fall down my cheeks.

“I can’t sit by every day, watching him with her. He breaks my heart so much and he doesn’t even care.”

“He cares, but he doesn’t know the right way to show it.”

“That’s for sure.”

“You know what I mean. You two are destined to be together, but he hasn’t quite figured that out yet.”

“He figured it out before I was gone.”

“And then you were gone. You know as well as anyone that you being gone almost killed him.”

“But then how could he give up on me if he loved me that much?”

*Oh oh oh oh
Baby, baby, baby, bring me down
I wanna be right where you are
Baby, baby, baby bring me down
So you can look me in the eye and break my heart
Break my heart*

I had to see him one more time before I left for good.

“Sydney, thank God you decided to stay.”

“I’m not staying.”

“What? Then why are you here?”

“I wanted to say a last goodbye before I left.”

“Please Sydney, don’t leave.” He pleaded, taking my arm.

“Don’t.” I replied coldly, ripping my arm from his grasp.

“Sydney, I can’t do this without you.”

“Yes you can. You have Lauren.” I said, willing the tears forming in my eyes not to fall.

“She’s not there for me like you are. Come on, I know there’s some part of you that wants to stay.”

“I can’t.” Some of my tears began to tread gently down my face.

“Sydney, baby, please don’t cry. It’s like you said: we’ll find each other. We always find each other.”

I felt my heart break into a million pieces with that statement and I just couldn’t hold my composure anymore. I burst into tears, only for him to wrap me in his arms and comfort me.

“Ssh Syd, it’ll be alright.”

“No it won’t.”

“Yes it will. Just wait and see.”

“That’s just it. I’m tired of waiting.” I dried my tears and looked him in the eye.

“Sydney, I love you.” I felt my heart swell with happiness.

“But I’m still married to Lauren and I have to deal with that responsibility first.” Once again, my heart shattered.

“Then don’t bother. I’m not gonna sit here and let you constantly break my f*cking heart. Goodbye.”

And with that, I left the man I’d loved through everything. I took one last glance at him as I walked out of the rotunda and felt more pain than ever run through me.

*Six AM, unruffled pillow
Laughs out loud at my trusting heart
It's like I didn't see the penny
I missed the fountain by a couple yards*

I spent another sleepless night in my almost empty apartment just thinking about him. How stupid could I be to trust him again when he said those 3 words? It’s like I never learned a thing from that day we came back from North Korea.

How could someone who used to have such a generous heart suddenly be so unyielding to someone he once loved unconditionally? How could he give up after only 6 months? How could he marry someone like her?

*If you would only stay gone
Maybe I could move on*

I heard a knock at my front door around 9:00am. I went to the door, wondering who could be round this early. The answer to my question stared at me with a sleep-deprived and tear-stained face once I opened the door.

“What is it Vaughn?”

“Sydney, I need to talk to you.”

“So talk.”

“Can I come in?”

“I suppose.” I sighed as he came in, immediately sitting on the single chair left in the mainroom.

“Sydney, you can’t leave.”

“You said that yesterday.”

“I know, but I talked to Lauren last night.”

“And?”

“Our divorce is final at the end of the month.”

Before she could say anything else, her cell phone rang. She picked it up from the mantle and answered it as I watched her intently.

“Hello? Alright. No, that’s fine. Thank you very much. Same here. Goodbye.” She hung up the phone and looked at me sadly.

“What was that?” I asked her.

“That was the Director of the office in New Mexico. They’re sending a moving truck later today to get all my stuff.”

“Sydney…”

“I’m sorry Vaughn, but I have to do this.”

“But…”

“No. I can’t stay here. But remember, we’ll always find each other.”

*Baby, baby, baby, bring me down
You can look me in the eye and break my heart
Break my heart*

That was great. :D
It was really sad though.
Could you please consider making it a few chapters instead of one? :thinking:
Thank you for the pm.
:surf:

Awwww... *squirms* Was that just a one parter? Because I'm dying for more!!! :Paranoid: I love how Sydney so plainly rejected him... Well, at least she did in the beginning, but the ending was perfect of course, tying back to the 'we'll find each other' quote... It's just too damned cute :P

And you know, this seems much more realistic, that Sydney would reject Vaughn and just move on with her life. Because words... Words mean nothing. He can't just tell her to wait, that it'll all turn out okay, and expect her to put her life on hold for him while he continues his life as a happily married man! So good on Sydney for moving to New Mexico! :D

Anyway, have to run now... Awesome fic! PM me if you ever decide to continue this, I'd love to read more ;)

Cai
x

Break Down Here
By: Eva Marie Rayne
Rating: PG
POV: Sydney
Ship: Angsty S/V
Disclaimer: I don’t own Alias, nor the song used.
Song: "Break Down Here" by Julie Roberts
Background: Sequel to “Bring Me Down”
Summary: Sydney’s left Vaughn and all of LA behind for a transfer to New Mexico. How will she get through the drive without him?
Distribution: Email me & please post all 3 parts.

Listen to Break Down Here

*Mile marker 203
The gas gauge leaning on the edge of E
I’ll be danged if the rain ain’t pouring down
There's something smoking underneath the hood
It’s a bangin’ and a clangin’ and it can’t be good
And it's another fifty miles to the nearest town
Everything I own is in the back in a hefty bag
I’m outta cigarettes and I’m down to my last drag*

I drove along the lonely highway, somewhere just over the New Mexico border. The rain beat down mercilessly on the hood of my truck, making the drive even lonelier. Part of me missed Los Angeles, but I knew this move was for the best. I would just go to work at the office in Santa Fe, and soon I wouldn’t think about the life I’d left behind.

I looked down, seeing that I was nearly out of gas. I knew my old truck wouldn’t make it all the way to New Mexico, but dammit, a girl can try. I was somewhere inbetween towns and I was determined to make it without stopping. Stopping always meant one thing – time to reflect. If I didn’t have that, I’d never think about him.

*A hundred fifty thousand miles ago
Before the bad blood and busted radio
You said, I was all you’d ever need
Love is blind and little did I know
You were just another dead end road
Paved with pretty lies and broken dreams
Baby, leaving you is easier than being gone
I don’t know what I’ll do if one more thing goes wrong*

Without a radio to keep my mind off of what had happened not 2 days earlier, my thoughts drifted to the life I was leaving. I was so happy in LA, but there was always that thing nagging at the back of my mind. Little did I know, that thing would be right about the love of my life not being the person I thought he was. 2 years…He couldn’t even wait 6 months, let alone 2 years.

I began to think more about him and his life. His stupid life. Things seemed so perfect for him and so everyone pitied me. Poor Sydney, the lost little lamb. She comes back from 2 years of hell to a world that’s up and changed. The man who’d proclaimed his love the day she was taken couldn’t even hold out the hope that she would return to his waiting arms. He married the first woman that showed any interest in him after only 6 months.

Now Lauren just happened to be an innocent bystander in all this, but I still hated her. She held the one thing I’d wanted more than life itself in the palm of her hand and she used it to her advantage every chance she got. Even now, she was ready to divorce him even though he’s such a wonderful person. He may be a complete bastard sometimes, but even now I still love him. I wanna drive back to LA and rush into his arms, but I just can’t. I’ll only get my heart broken again.

So I keep driving. I felt tears sting my eyes, so I let them fall. I knew it was the only way I could ever let him go.

*I’d sure hate to break down here
With nothing up ahead or in the rearview mirror
Out in the middle of nowhere, knowin'
I’m in trouble if these wheels stop rollin’
So God help me, keep me moving somehow
Don’t let me start wishing I was with him now
I made it this far without crying a single tear
I’d sure hate to break down here*

I was still thinking about him as I kept driving, but the memories began to feel more and more distant. Distant memories may never heal old wounds, but they make it easier to forget about them.

I began to deconstruct a dream I’d once while I was being held captive. I had no idea how painfully true it would be once I was out, but atleast I had an idea of what to expect.

I walked into the rotunda for my first day back. The building was the same as it always had been, but the people were so different. Dixon was now one of the higher-ups, right alongside my father, but Kendall was the director of the division. Vaughn was seeing another woman that worked in another intelligence department, and Weiss had the desk right next to mine. I was so grateful for that because another familiar face was something I definitely wouldn’t see at this point.

My father told me that Simon Walker was now working with the CIA to cripple The Covenant, and Julian Sark was killed shortly after giving up his $800 million inheritance. My mother was still on the run but presumed dead and had been working with my father and the CIA for the last 2 years to find me. Will and Francie were both found and put in Witness Protection. It turns out that The Covenant was keeping them captive, much like me, to get information that would help break me down. Allison Doren was killed in the fight we had the night I was taken, and Sloane had flown the coop to India.

Everyone looked at me with complete concern and a bit of pity, wondering how I would act now that I’d been gone for so long. Many of the new agents didn’t know me at all, so they thought I might have a psychotic episode right in the middle of the rotunda. Needless to say, they kept their distance from me. Weiss became my shoulder to cry on, and so much more in the following days & weeks. Vaughn and I grew more and more distant until we only spoke on ops. My life became almost nothing without any contact from him and I just became more and more depressed.

I was roused from that memory as I saw signs pass by in a flurry. I was uninterested in them until I saw the one that would become part of my new life.

Welcome to Santa Fe, New Mexico

*Mile marker 215…*

Back