Politics Lebanon Former Prime Minister

cinders said:
the un does plenty which is good, its continuation to keep countries talking is one, and the cases of sexual harassment etc, are minor. It majors in exactly what it states, uniting nations.

familiar with nirvana's the man who sold the world?? Now put it with bush!!! one hell of a link there.

and syria are doing nothing america hasnt done, go in when a country is weak etc, just because america see it as a threat
[post="1236017"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
one...how has it "united nations?" it seems like we are just as fractured as we were in the late forties when it started. and i'm not sure i would call the rape of so many young girls in the Congo "minor."

compared with the good they do it is minor, its only a few individulas, i5t is not like the whole of the un are out there fu**ing everyone. And they are more united than they would be if it didnt exist, stop dissing the un, they do alot of good.

There are more cases of mis-treatment by us forces than there ar eun

cinders said:
compared with the good they do it is minor, its only a few individulas, i5t is not like the whole of the un are out there fu**ing everyone. And they are more united than they would be if it didnt exist, stop dissing the un, they do alot of good.

There are more cases of mis-treatment by us forces than there ar eun
[post="1237201"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Sure, the UN have done good things, but we should not minimize what they have done wrong.

By the way, aren't we supposed to talk about Lebanon in this topic? ;)

There are more cases of mis-treatment by us forces than there ar eun [\QUOTE]

But thats the problem. There can be no mistreatment by UN forces, because in order for it to take the moral high ground, it has to be whiter than white. It cannot condemmn America for the abuse when its happening every day in the Congo.

the un does plenty which is good, its continuation to keep countries talking is one,

thats the problem, theres too much talk. What good did it do in Rwanda. I know other countries knew what was happening, but they needed to stand up, get a peacekeeping force in there. And what did they do. Sit on their hands do nothing but wail after 800,000 people were murdered. The annoying thing is, they don't learn, cos what have they done in Darfur. Exactly the same.

That has legal of nations style Manchurian crisis written all over it.

And Kosovo. That was NATO intervention. They've only just got there now.

And how good are they at keeping the Congolese talking to the Rwandan's or the Somilia's talking to each other.

Rant over now.

and syria are doing nothing america hasnt done, go in when a country is weak etc, just because america see it as a threat

As far as I understand it. The only reason, Lebanon is in any state at all today is because the Syrians went in. They would probably still going on with the civil war. I don't think the comparision's viable.

hmmm yeh but who organised it, well i guess nost of us are pretty mad eup on the matter

and secondly, why is such a small country so important? A) because in years to come it will prob be the spark which changed history

Well maybe not if it descends back into civil war. There was a massive article on the front of the independent today about how without Syria there, there is a real risk of civil war.

Hmm usually I try to avoid political debates online, but I need to clarify a few things. I'm Lebanese, so I'm directly affected by the assassination and all the events that have followed.

On the question of who killed PM Hariri, I can tell you this: Syrian and (Pro-Syrian) Lebanese intelligence. We don't need proof, because we know them and what they're capable of. This is not the first assassination they've done, and there's no way to know if it will be the last. All the signs are there and they point in that direction.

The investigations are still going, and there's an international team now involved upon the request of the Lebanese Opposition because they don't trust our Pro-Syrian government to do their job. Anyway, the latest news concerning the investigation is that there's evidence missing, which is further proof for us that this was done by the people I mentioned above.

As for those who are wondering what Syria's role in Lebanon is, I'll try to make this brief. When the civil war started in 1975, Syrian troops were called into Lebanon to help control the situation. However, in 1990, after the war was over, there was an agreement called "Ta'if" which states that all Syrian troops and intelligence agents are to leave Lebanon.

Of course the Syrian government didn't leave. They had total control over the country, and it was in their best interest to stay. Since that time, every Lebanese government that has existed was Pro-Syrian, meaning *they* picked our lawmakers and presidents and so on. Lebanon, unlike all the other Arab countries, has always been a democracy so this wasn't working for us. They were (and still are) violating our most basic rights. Every opposition leader that had threatened their situation was assassinated.

This is how we've been living for 30 years. They have control over the elections, the economy, the money; they can do whatever they want. And we've had just about enough. Mr. Hariri was a very important figure, he had strong relations with Arab and European figures, and by assassinating him, they have made the worst mistake they could ever make. Now, demands of Syrian withdrawals are no longer internal, they are international. And the opposition, which used to be mostly Christian, now includes large numbers of Sunnis and Druze (the late PM was Sunni), so the Lebanese people are more united than any time before.

The Syrian government is under a lot of pressure from the US, France and the international community, so they have no choice but to withdraw, which they have already started doing. They are stalling, because they're obviously not pleased, but there's nothing they can do about it. I hope that the international community, namly the US, France and the UN will continue to pressure Syria. We need the international support as we are a tiny country and cannot face Syria on our own.

Wow that was long. Sorry about that. I hope I clarified a few issues. I wouldn't mind answering questions if anyone is curious.

I just have two questions.

If it is the case that you want Syria out would you be willing for a coalition from the West led by America to invade and force them?

and

If Syria withdraw will the country degenerate into civil war again? I vaugely remember the first war and I do remember the British hostages that were taken like Terry Waite.

noggi16 said:
If it is the case that you want Syria out would you be willing for a coalition from the West led by America to invade and force them?

To be honest, if the assassination hadn't occured, nothing would have changed. Before the assassination, some people were seriously considering that any help from the Western countries, including an invasion, was the only way out of this situation. But an invasion would have meant war, and none of us wanted to go back to that period. However, the country was heading towards wreckage, mostly economic, and people were getting desperate. But now, it seems that they are being forced out without literally being forced out, if you know what I mean. They're not withdrawing out of the kindness of their hearts, they are withdrawing because they have to. So right now? No, I wouldn't want a Western invasion.

If Syria withdraw will the country degenerate into civil war again? I vaugely remember the first war and I do remember the British hostages that were taken like Terry Waite.

No, I honestly believe that the country will not degenerate into civil war again. Believe me, no Lebanese citizen would like to go back to the horrific years we went through. Syria was staying in Lebanon under the pretext that they are keeping us safe, from Israel and from each other. The message they send is that if they leave, war will break again because we are divided. I don't know if you're following the news, but last monday (the 14th) we had the biggest anti-Syrian rally in a long long time. I was there, and I saw people from all over the country, with different religious beliefs, different ethnic backgrouns, all gathered as one and uniting against a nation of tyranny. This time we're not against one another, we are united against a common target. The only problem we have left is Hizbolla, and their followers, who are Pro-Syrian and Anti-American.

That will be delt with once we get our freedom from Syria. They won't give up their weapons, and I'm not sure how that will be delt with, but I think that if America really wants to disarm them, then they might use force on them. No other group in Lebanon is armed, except for the Palestinians in their refugee camps (who, in turn, cause a problem of their own).

come on is force necessary, other countries are involved i.e russia and just a polite word from them got syria to move, why does the usa have to make everything about them?

cinders said:
come on is force necessary, other countries are involved i.e russia and just a polite word from them got syria to move, why does the usa have to make everything about them?
[post="1268672"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Sorry, I didn't get what you were trying to say.

cinders said:
[post="1268672"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
a polite word from Russia? what are you talking about? the USA is not making this all about them. there are so many countries involved in this, including Arab countries like Saudi Arabia who have not-so-politely asked (or told) Syria to get its troops out of Lebanon.

hello, yes it was a spin by america, they make everything seem like its their sole responsibility, and i'm sorry if it contradicts what you think but its true. America tries to get into everything

America tries to get into everything

I wish that was true. Then maybe Mugabe wouldn't be starving the opposition into submission. Maybe they would start supporting the International War Crimes Tribunal. Maybe Burma would become a democracy.

noggi16 said:
I wish that was true. Then maybe Mugabe wouldn't be starving the opposition into submission. Maybe they would start supporting the International War Crimes Tribunal. Maybe Burma would become a democracy.
[post="1277212"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
thank you! i'm so glad to find someone who's rational. to add to that list, maybe there would be less people living in poverty, less unfair trade practices, and the end of genocide in Sudan. what the US chooses not to get involved in sometimes makes my stomach turn.

cinders, you get so hysterical all the time, but you rarely have any facts to back up your rants. the US does not get involved in everything. but i see no problem with the US becoming diplomatically involved with the Syria/Lebanon issue. now, if we started dropping bombs on Syria, then yes, i'd be a little concerned, but the US is simply involved diplomatically with many other countries concerning this issue.

Back