Lesbian Kiss!

Alias_Gay

Ensign
Yes, another one for the records:

Latest Developments

Daytime TV to Get First Lesbian Kiss
(Reuters)
- Daytime television viewers -- considered to be among America's most conservative audiences -- will see their first on-screen lesbian kiss next week, ABC television said on Monday. The kiss will take place during the April 22 episode of the Emmy-award winning soap opera "All My Children" making what ABC said would be a first in the world of daytime television.

mdf256745.jpg

I think society is accepting gay and lesbian relationships more and more, but at the same token, they wouldn't wanna see a two men or two women making out on TV ... most people are still thinking its a tabu, and for some reason, network TV also think that ... its only on some cable shows that you have some shows intended directly for the gay-community ... ;)

I'm totally accepting of lesbians and gays, but for some reason, I don't think they should FLAUNT that there's going to be a lesbian kiss, er, that there was since I'm late to this party. I'm surprised it's only the first one though. Everyone is probably going to start following now.

Brookside (UK soap many years ago - don't think it still runs) had a lesbian kiss on it years and years ago.

Personally, while, as Redrum has said, I have absolutely nothing against same sex relationships, I strongly feel that with the way TV is focusing so heavily on it, it's making a lot more young people think it's the norm to have same sex relationships. I'm trying very carefully to word this correctly as I understand for a lot of people it IS the norm, but watching teens today and comparing it with when I was a kid, they seem to go through a phase of having same sex relationships before settling into a heterosexual one later on and I think television does have a big part to play in the experimentation that we're seeing amongst younger people nowadays.

Torchwood springs to mind as a show that's pushing the lead's sexuality unnecessarily - where the show started out as an interesting sci fi concept, now it focuses almost exclusively on Jack's sexual orientation and there have even been scenes where he and his boyfriend are "getting it on" - which personally I'd rather not watch.

So out dated now, all of the soaps are getting in the act.

Yeah, there's been at least 3 other soap operas that have the lesbian couples now, but it's not publicized because it 'wasn't the FIRST'. We really should just get over the lesbian factor on TV and just accept it.

Most of the soaps right now have gay-characters and gay/lesbian couples ... it seems that things are changing and even though not everybody accepts it ... producers/writers are working and doing things in a decent manner ...

Personally I'd rather not see anyone of the same sex grope each other, be it male or female. I'm trying to choose my words carefully here, but some of these things really shouldn't be shown on TV. While I wouldn't say people are influenced, I would say that people who don't appreciate seeing such things seem to be "forced" to watch it, or they just boycott the show.

Exactly Alex ... people would feel "forced" to watch it ... but in the end they have a choice ... stop watching ... but I am thinking there is more tolerance now than before ... so I guess that's why they are doing more of these stories ... and there more openly gay actors/singers now-a-days too ...

Back