Dismiss Notice
Alien Soup is a free community for fans of science-fiction, horror, & fantasy! Everybody is welcome here.

Less "Sci" and more "Fi" coming?

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi and Fantasy Talk' started by Kevin, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Kevin

Kevin Code Monkey Staff Abductee

Looks like we're going to be seeing more diverse original programming on the Sci-Fi Channel in the days to come. Personally I think it's because 'space' shows are more expensive to make but, hey, that's just my theory..... :confused:

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-04-19-sci-fi-main_x.htm

2. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

I knew SciFi Channel couldn't live up to its name!
    They trashed the genre and now they're going to trash Fantasy.

3. Tim

Tim Creative Writer

am i the only one here that thought Taken was pulp fiction for the masses, numbers driven by the advertising campaign they had running up until it actually aired?

personally i thought the series was pretty lame.

with book publishers shoving material in front of us that isn't scifi but just "out there" in some small way, it looks like the scifi channel is also taking this view to patch over any viewer numbers problems.

whilst potential low budget sets can mean scripts, actors and directing must be far better than normal, at least then maybe the producers might start looking for better scripts rather than just going for most "bang for buck" in space opera and special effects on film.

4. Tom

Tom An Old Friend

I didn't watch 'taken
    I'd rather watch scientific frontiers than what they call science fiction
    Natl geo channel is better than more than half of the junk on all the other channels.
    discovery channel sold out to jesse james & gay interior designers for the most part,
    tlc as well

I get more scifi from the internet than any other media.