Letting Go

This is my first fic at this site! Woohoo! Please don't be too hard on me. I'm no good
at writing Alias fics. This story is about Sydney with out Vaughn around the holiday season. I hope you enjoy it..as always please leave a review.

As the holidays get near I draw farther and farther away. Being with out him has been hard. I look at all the other new parents, and I think to myself, if only he was here. It’s been a few months since Isobel was born. She’s so beautiful. She has his nose, and his smile. Although I don’t know where she gets her temper. Isobel is the best thing that happen to me. It’s just a shame she couldn’t meet her father.

I flip through baby clothes wondering what to buy for him, then I realize…he’s gone. He’s never coming back. A tear slowly rolls down my cheek, and falls to the ground. Isobel squirms a little in her seat, and I adjust her. If only you could meet your father. I thought while staring into her beautiful brown eyes.

It won’t be the same this Christmas with out you. You’re the one that kept me going, you were the caffeine in my coffee. I know that sounds silly, but it’s the truth. Every time I would look at you, I know I am at home.

A jazzy Christmas tune comes over the PA system, in hopes to get everyone in the mood. Somehow I don’t think I’ll ever be in the mood.

“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas, toys in every store….”

The song played as shoppers browsed, and purchased Christmas gifts for their loved ones.

“What about a cell phone honey? You’re always saying we should get one.”

I over heard a couple chatting. It made me think of him. I cannot get him out of my memories. He was apart of me, and now he’s gone.

“Sure thing honey. Let’s go to Verizon.” The husband said, as the two left the store.

“I think I’ve had enough shopping today.” I said to myself as I began to leave.

“Sydney? Sydney Bristow?” I knew that voice. I whirled around, and was greeted by Will.

“Will! Oh my god! How’ve you been?” I hugged him as tightly as possible. I knew I could always talk to Will.

“I’ve been good. Oh! You have a baby. Congratulations! I had no idea. You and Vaughn must be very happy parents.” Will smiled. He had no idea what happen to Vaughn. I didn’t have the heart to tell him.

“So how’s he been? How’ve you been?”

“Vaughn died in a car accident.” I could see the hurt in his eyes. Even though Vaughn and Will haven’t been exactly close, they were still friends. I could tell that Will felt bad about Vaughn.

“Syd, I’m sorry. If there’s anything I can do…” He embraced me in condolence. Will was one of my best friends.

“Thank you. It’s just…it’s gonna be hard this Christmas with out him. I can’t even imagine how Isobel thinks.”

“Syd, your daughter is what one years old?” I smiled with a laugh, and he smiled too.

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being my friend.”

As I got done shopping I headed home to wrap the clothes for Isobel. Dad just came in the door. He wasn’t usually home for the holidays. He was sort of a grump around this time of the year, but I knew deep down, he enjoyed being with his family.

The door swung open, as the light poured in the room. The reflection from the snow was blinding.

“Gamp…gampa..” Isobel was learning words already. She crawled to his feet expecting for him to pick her up. He swooped her up in his strong arms, and looked at her with a smile.

“Hey there Izzy. Have you been a good little girl for mommy?” Isobel just smiled at her grandfather. I knew he wasn’t here just for pleasure. There had to be something why he was here.

“Syd, I’ll be spending the week with you.” The way he said it, he sounded…happy. I know our relationship took a drastic change. We’re closer now, then we’ve ever been.

“Sure. You can stay in the guest room. I thought there was another mission I had to take.”

“No. This is strictly family fun.” He smiled.

“Fun? What does Jack Bristow know about fun?” All he did was smile.

“I took the liberty at getting us a Christmas tree.” I knew this would be entertaining.

A few minutes later dad was still figuring out how to decorate the tree.

“You don’t remember Christmas do you?” I asked.

“We never had a real family Christmas.” He responded.

“Well, you’re supposed to put the lights on first, before the decorations.”

“Ooooh.” I took the decorations from his hands, and we put the lights and tinsel on together. After the decorations, we put the lights on.

“It looks beautiful.” He said.

“You’re awfully cherry today dad. You should stay away from work more often.” My dad chuckled and kissed my hair.

“I love you Sydney. I want to spend as much time with you as possible.”

“I love you to dad.”

“Sydney,”

“Yeah? This is going to be the best Christmas yet.”

And so the weeks went by. Dad played with Isobel more times then I could count. But I knew it wouldn’t last. Happiness only existed in fair tales. He’d go back to work, and it wouldn’t be the same.

As the holiday came and went, the new year approached. What’s on my news years resolution? To get over Vaughn, and start a new fresh life. I’ll miss him, but it’s time I let him go.

As I write a note in the bitter cold, freshly covered snow sticks on the grass. My teeth shivering, my hand aching. Thinking about our happy times together, our sad times. I remember each moment being with him. I cherish each memory we ever made. One memory stands out above all. The first time seeing him. I felt a strong feeling towards him. I knew we would end up together.

“I love you Vaughn. Forever yours, Sydney.”

I place the note on his grave, and walk away. I know I’ll be able to get along with out him.

The End

Back