Light the fires & kick the tires

Valendros

Cadet
Maybe we can kick up Simu's development schedule up a notch.

Wired is looking to make a vaporware 2008 list. Maybe if we can get HJ listed on it, we can really light fires under their butts.

http://www.wired.com/culture/culturereviews/news/2008/11/YE8_vaporware_subs

wiredvaporware@gmail.com
Got a nominee for Vaporware '08? Here are the rules:

* The product must have been promised to ship during 2008.
* No rumors. That means no Mac Netbooks, Apple iTablets or 50-inch Sony OLEDs.
* It has to have been announced with a 2008 release date attached.
* If you can buy it, it doesn't count. If it shipped — even if it sucked — it's not vaporware.
* Software stuck in a never-ending, pre-release, beta-testing stage can be considered vaporware.
* Likewise hardware prototypes. It may exist in some company's lab or trotted out at trade shows, but it's vaporware until it hits store shelves.

I already sent mine in, anybody else wanna send in the submission?

Sadly I've reached a point where I don't really care anymore. I just lurk and post here to see what everyone else is doing or to see if there are any rumors around that I haven't seen.

To throw more fuel to the fire...

http://www.massively.com/2008/12/11/heroengine-swtor-interview-pt-2/

I really like the part where Neil says:

We probably wouldn't have started licensing the engine until this very year if we'd have been spending all of our time working on our own game. Instead our own game is on the back-burner and all these people are licensing our technology from us.

And then he goes to say there's still lots of work to be done in terms of content and polish. Seems the rumors that HJ was really a demo for their engine is actually true.

Maybe this will light a fire under their backsides.

Or...maybe not. The lure of licensing profits is probably very tempting, especially if you get companies with lots of cash to buy your stuff.

At this point, even I have to admit that Hero's Journey is never coming out.

However, it's enabled the creation of what may become my favorite MMO of all time (The Old Republic) through HeroEngine, so I'd call it a success.

At this point, even I have to admit that Hero's Journey is never coming out.

How are you "admitting" anything? You are no longer a GameMaster, you are not on-site, and you have no knowledge of what is really happening here.

Sure you can speculate, but the fact that you say you "admit" it, and then your signature says "Former Story Staff" is misleading to people, and I'm quite sure will be misconstrued.

Also: http://www.massively.com/2008/12/30/wireds-vaporware-column-adds-heros-journey-next-to-duke-nukem/

A) Was he not a story GM for HJ? - Because if he was at one time, then I was completely not misled.
B) It was pretty obvious he meant admitting to himself.

I have yet to admit that to myself. I have hope. It's growing slimmer minute by minute though.

massively said:
but they're still letting people log in and play

who with the what-now? you wanna talk about misleading?

massively said:
So that leaves the question, is it still vaporware if we know we shouldn't expect it?

Yes
Because I was given cause to expect it, Time and time again. I was given dates that have passed. I was given exactly what I expect from Simu: All promise and no deliver. And like an abused wife, I came back. I made excuses for them. I've been a champion of Simu. I want to see them do well. But I'm getting really tired of getting ---- on.

maybe the guys at massively haven't been salivating for this game since it was announced 7 YEARS AGO. But you know what, some people have. Some people have been given hope and watched that hope ripped away, not once, but half a dozen times.

I know I shouldn't expect anything. But yet still here I sit. Playing Gemstone Plat until Simu decides to grace me with a game that, if it lives up to a 10th of it's hype will blow away all other games out there. I've tried other MMOs and I have hope that HJ will be different. I think everybody here does. We go about playing something else, giving them our money, waiting for what has been proposed, even promised.

And still we sit and wait for godot. (I admit, that was probably a bit dramatic LOL)

I guess this will do 1 of 3 things...

1) Show Simu that their fans think they're slacking and they'll redouble their efforts
2) Show Simu that their fans think they're slacking and they'll kill the project completely to focus on engine development
3) Show Simu that their fans think they're slacking and they'll do nothing differently.

Look at how fast we can build an MMO with this awesome engine!

Only 4 years to get 1/4th the way done!

It's not that. The engine has gone through so many (good) changes, for example when I first started working as a GM, HE didn't even HAVE heightmap capability.

That specific video doesn't have sound.

At any rate, there was an interview that said there were about a dozen licensee's of Hero Engine. The thing has to be a fairly workable engine by now, yes? Obviously (like many of your games) it's a living, breathing entity that will change over time. But as of right now, what limitations do you have that prevent the game being finished? I bet the only one you can come up with is staffing issues.

At any rate. Please take my complaining with a grain of salt. I've been the loudest voice for Simu to clam up and stop releasing information. The Pros vastly outweigh any Cons one might be able to come up with. The main Con (for me) with complete radio silence is a frustrated Valendros who just wants to play the game already.

Just remember me when beta comes around. I'll go bug-to-bug with anybody, I almost always come out on top... I'm an analbastage like that.

Back