Little things in MMOs that would mean a lot

Navarre said:
Also... :smiley:

Character collision detection so we can't walk through other players/npcs/etc.

Destructable environments - with repercussions for your actions so you can't go around knocking down buildings or forests willy nilly.

Changing landscapes - Seasonal changes. Leaves falling, flowers blooming or dying. Snow cover in winter. Lakes freezing and thawing. Watching a crop be plowed, planted, grow, and be harvested over time. Buildings being built or deteriorating over time - weeds, spiderwebs, dust, etc accumulating in an abandoned building.

/agree

Especially with collision detection. I know I know it makes it easier for some people to grieve by blocking entrances to high traffic areas. But it adds a lot to the realism to the game. I'm extremely for this.

Smart Auto Follow system /af.

Instead of 200 people running all jumbled together in a long, somewhat single file line, like raid parties in Dark Age of Camelot, I would like to see people (mounted or on foot) spread out and staggered like they would be were they actually traveling together. Exceptions apply, of course - for treaturous terrain and such.

Mounts that don't appear/disappear magically. Horses should have to be tied up or put in a stable when not being ridden. They should also have to be fed and cared for. You should be able to equip your hose with tack, harness, armour and such.

Non combat cantrips for magic wielders.. Little tricks and such. A small flame or glow from a finger (ET phone home) or coloured lights or a puff of smoke. Cantrips that affect others: Sneeze, scratch, belch, yawn. Telekenesis for small items.. having an apple levitate from a table to your hand.

I'm not really sure player collision would be a great idea. In theory it'd be a good thing but I can just envision waaaay too many situations where problems would occur. Bottlenecks in crowded city streets, narrow passages in instances which could trip up party coordination.

I am, however, all for little details to ambiance. Sounds, cantrips, mood lighting (a dimly lit bar for example), etc all really add to the flavor of a game.

Ambient sounds seem to be the best idea. The only time music should playing is in combat, inside a building with someone playing (bar/tavern) or outside in the city (gazebo/parades/shows).

Is HJ going to have everything set as macros?

Card games and in game distractions. I've seen it in other games and it's always been fun. The highlight of my short lived FFXI career was seeing the carnival folk. LoL The fire breather was great.

It would be nice if I was unable to distinguish (without some effort) PCs from NPCs. PCs that stayed in character and didn't sprint everywhere they went. NPCs that reacted intelligently both to actions toward them and conversation with them. Obviously no visible signs that the character was AI controlled. (like: 'A Town Guard' floating above their head. *grumble*)

Player controlled critters. Let players control (temporarily as a disposable character or as a regular evolving character) something other than the few races normally available. A player controlled band of Ukar would be lots of fun for all.

Definitly the naming of all rivers, hills, landmarks, etc.

I too want to hear ambient sounds like people talking in cities, and also birds singing in woods/ meadows. The trickle of water near creeks would be nice too.

PLAYER ANIMATION!!! Lots of emotes, or even better, the ability to create scripts with basic movements of body parts of your character. An example would be, EMBARASSMENT: Scratch head with right hand + left hand behind back + face blush + look ground + body sway.

Also, night/day cycles. I don't know if all games have these, but I liked it in FFXI.

I want to see street signs at every street corner! With the full street name!

Grass that moves in the wind!

I could go on and on with these, but I'll stop... for now.

Khemenlith said:
[custom] PLAYER ANIMATION!!! Lots of emotes, or even better, the ability to create scripts with basic movements of body parts of your character. An example would be, EMBARASSMENT: Scratch head with right hand + left hand behind back + face blush + look ground + body sway.

Great idear! Maybe Simu could create a single purpose Hero Blade UI offshoot for the Players to create and upload custom animations for their characters. ;)
Interesting to think about anyway.

cordy said:
/agree

Especially with collision detection. I know I know it makes it easier for some people to grieve by blocking entrances to high traffic areas. But it adds a lot to the realism to the game. I'm extremely for this.

You could have an action/ability that pushes the person grieving the entrance. Oh! It could be part of that non-damage fighting idea I read on here yesterday! A shove'll lower the griefer's fatigue a bit, but it won't hurt him and you can get through the door.

Navarre said:
I would just set the person on fire. That'll move em quick. ;)

Don't you remember anything when you were in school. Damn STOP DROP AND ROLL.

I know I don't remember much either but thats important nav, right that down.

In Matrix Online you could choose from a number of different walking styles and though a lot of them looked stupid, the idea is good and could be implemented in HJ. It would help players costumize their characters further and it would say a lot about a character I think.

I think a lot of those things are coming. Different games have different things ... CoH Has costumes, emotes, and personality options, but the world is a bit lacking. EQII has some really great quest systems, gorgeous world, immersive storyline ... but not a lot of personalization for characters beyond housing, and then you can't lie down in a bed or sit in a chair. Its basically just window dressing, since you can't store things, either. World of Warcraft has good progression and broad appeal due to storyline, PVP, and quest options - however, it, too, lacks a lot of the personalization you see in CoH.

Eventually we'll get a lot of what we ask for, but some of these things are a PAIN to program, animate and implement.

Collision would be great, but it can cause massive problems. Getting stuck at the bank, for one. Abusive players mistreating others by blocking areas. That sort of thing.

Mount animations - still a very hard thing to do. Most games are opting for the 'mount appears out of nowhere' option due to difficulty in programming and animation.

Hero's Journey is the first game I've seen that has a "Sit on the chair' option. I'm really hoping they have a lot more like it. I've been dying to sit in a chair since my first day in EQI.

From what I've seen, they're going to have options in costuming, too. I hope it's STar Wars Galazy size options. As that game had regular, non-armor clothing and hair styles that no other game has. I'm hoping they have CoH range in styles and customization.

Anyway ... I don't want much. Just to sit in a chair, wear clothing that's different and to look like no one else in the game. :smiley:

What would be nice to see are customizable quests for guilds as they achieve rankings or membership levels.
This could include rights of passage, or skill testing for guild rankings, etc.
What I suppose would have to happen is that the guild itself might have an option for creating an instance from some pre-set content areas. Towns, dungeons, wilderness, and then you get to choose monsters, npcs, names, dialogue. Item rewards could come from the guild itself, or from random loot tables.

Edit: And this may have been stated earlier, not sure as I have not read all the posts in this thread. Customizable art work for tabards/cloaks and or coat-of-arms.

Erithe said:
Hero's Journey is the first game I've seen that has a "Sit on the chair' option. I'm really hoping they have a lot more like it. I've been dying to sit in a chair since my first day in EQI.
SWG has always had that option, BTW.

I was looking at some HJ screenshots on their mainpage and it seems to me that the character creation not only lets you change everything about how your character looks, but it seems that you can also create your first set of clothing, although I might be wrong.

Back