Sci-Fi Location Entanglement Drive

Tom

An Old Friend
AI Singularity uses a nano-construct to travel faster than light. Grows a specially designed craft for humans and takes us out of our galaxy and back.

It uses a single particle as a drive mechanism which also acts as a navigation device.

In the center of the 'ship' there is a specialized chamber. The singularity locks onto a distant moving object and quantumly entangles with a particle of which gets materialized within the chamber. As the original particle moves thru space its entangled duplicate also moves thru space but since the 'ship' is around the chamber the ship moves as well.
As the ship moves, the AI switches entanglement with other particles moving in a desired direction. This results in directional movement.
After the AI locates a navigation path and aligns the ship, a distant particle is entangled and the AI forces the particles together quantumly.

The AI 'drives' the ship by changing the locating particles and timing the duration of entanglement collapse. The actual function is far beyond a human's scope and speed. Particles from different locations are constantly captured and released to change direction. Trillions of changes per second assures smooth gentle movement of the craft.

Full stop is accomplished by having no particles in the chamber.
Orbits are established by locking onto a particle on the desired object and maintaining the separation by not permitting quantum closure.

Not only can it match the speed and direction of a comet, it can close the distance to the comet at the speed of quantum entanglement then establish an orbit with the comet.

Since distant objects are not actually where they appear because of time, the AI calculates its actual location and locks onto the actual particle where it is now based on observed properties of its movement. If something changes its actual location, the particle is not captured and the AI instantaneously switches to a different object. To the AI, the speed of light is slow, so accuracy is closer to perfect than a human can understand.

The 'ship' has a field around it that changes phase in relation to matter in this Universe. It passes thru matter. The only phase shift is the field, the ship itself never changes phase. Since the field surrounds the entire ship, the ship passes thru matter as if it's not there.

Within the ship is a high mass material that creates gravity for the humans inside.

The atmosphere and materials that make the ship are laden with nano-constructs that provide molecules instantly as a life support system. The humans bond with the nano-constructs permitting regeneration and adaptability of their bodies to cope with any changes.

Last edited:
Dude this is brilliant. I love this concept.

By the time i got to reading the line "As the ship moves, the AI switches entanglement with other particles moving in a desired direction. This results in directional movement." I was literally verbally speaking "Heck yeah!"

Fascinating work captain.

Thanx, Just a simple idea that came one night while relaxing for sleep.
Someday I will write out one of the complex ones that keep me awake.

I recall a Moody Blues song saying "Thinking is the best way to travel", I think the film Dune, moved their ships in a truly bizarre way with a funky alien Guild navigator, but it seemed to work in the sci-fi world....

I think the Navigator Guildsmen of Dune used Spice to fold space. In essence they manipulated space-time.
This is a bit different because space is not muted and speed is not the factor.
What moves this ship is relativity. The ship is actually not moving it is in a series of calculated stopping.
If you were to stop in relation to the center of the Earth, the surface would speed past you. If you stopped in relation to the center of the Sun, the Earth would spin away from you.
From an observer standing on the planet you would appear to be moving but from your point of view it would be the planet that is moving.

I think the film Dune, moved their ships in a truly bizarre way with a funky alien Guild navigator, but it seemed to work in the sci-fi world....
Just saw this quote at the bottom of the front page:
Random Quotation
The Spacing Guild and its navigators, who the spice has mutated over four-thousand years, use the orange spice gas, which gives them the ability to fold space. That is, travel to any part of the Universe without moving.
Dune (1984) Opening Narrative, Princess Irulan (#212)

Dune was an awesome film, I'm a little unsure about the Harkonnens and Sting hopping out of the misty stuff in his skivvies, lol! But the rest was just peachy keen.

Not a blueprint maker but it would essentially be a box about the size of your palm in the middle of a craft for human occupation. The AI would be part of the material that makes up the ship. Since the AI is nano based and the drive is quantum there is not much to look at. So basically, take any space craft and put a box in the middle.

Not a blueprint maker but it would essentially be a box about the size of your palm in the middle of a craft for human occupation. The AI would be part of the material that makes up the ship. Since the AI is nano based and the drive is quantum there is not much to look at. So basically, take any space craft and put a box in the middle.
Kind of Tardis in style, using inter-dimensional housing, I got ya!

No, not inter-dimensional. Nano-constructed.
More like Drexler's Space Suit than a Tardis.

Engines of Creation said:
Since nanotechnology lends itself to making small things, consider the smallest person-carrying spacecraft: the spacesuit. Forced to use weak, heavy, passive materials, engineers now make bulky, clumsy spacesuits. A look at an advanced spacesuit will illustrate some of the capabilities of nanotechnology.

Imagine that you are aboard a space station, spun to simulate Earth's normal gravity. After instruction, you have been given a suit to try out: there it hangs on the wall, a gray, rubbery-looking thing with a transparent helmet. You take it down, heft its substantial weight, strip, and step in through the open seam on the front.

The suit feels softer than the softest rubber, but has a slick inner surface. It slips on easily and the seam seals at a touch. It provides a skintight covering like a thin leather glove around your fingers, thickening as it runs up your arm to become as thick as your hand in the region around your torso. Behind your shoulders, scarcely noticeable, is a small backpack. Around your head, almost invisible, is the helmet. Below your neck the suits inner surface hugs your skin with a light, uniform touch that soon becomes almost imperceptible.

You stand up and walk around, experimenting. You bounce on your toes and feel no extra weight from the suit. You bend and stretch and feel no restraint, no wrinkling, no pressure points. When you rub your fingers together they feel sensitive, as if bare - but somehow slightly thicker. As you breathe, the air tastes clean and fresh. In fact, you feel that you could forget that you are wearing a suit at all. What is more, you feel just as comfortable when you step out into the vacuum of space.

The suit manages to do all this and more by means of complex activity within a structure having a texture almost as intricate as that of living tissue. A glove finger a millimeter thick has room for a thousand micron-thick layers of active nanomachinery and nanoelectronics. A fingertip-sized patch has room for a billion mechanical nanocomputers, with 99.9 percent of the volume left over for other components.

In particular, this leaves room for an active structure. The middle layer of the suit material holds a three-dimensional weave of diamond-based fibers acting much like artificial muscle, but able to push as well as pull (as discussed in the Notes). These fibers take up much of the volume and make the suit material as strong as steel. Powered by microscopic electric motors and controlled by nanocomputers, they give the suit material its supple strength, making it stretch, contract, and bend as needed. When the suit felt soft earlier, this was because it had been programmed to act soft. The suit has no difficulty holding its shape in a vacuum; it has strength enough to avoid blowing up like a balloon. Likewise, it has no difficulty supporting its own weight and moving to match your motions, quickly, smoothly, and without resistance. This is one reason why it almost seems not to be there at all.

Your fingers feel almost bare because you feel the texture of what you touch. This happens because pressure sensors cover the suit's surface and active structure covers its lining: the glove feels the shape of whatever you touch - and the detailed pattern of pressure it exerts - and transmits the same texture pattern to your skin. It also reverses the process, transmitting to the outside the detailed pattern of forces exerted by your skin on the inside of the glove. Thus the glove pretends that it isn't there, and your skin feels almost bare.

The suit has the strength of steel and the flexibility of your own body. If you reset the suit's controls, the suit continues to match your motions, but with a difference. Instead of simply transmitting the forces you exert, it amplifies them by a factor of ten. Likewise, when something brushes against you, the suit now transmits only a tenth of the force to the inside. You are now ready for a wrestling match with a gorilla.

The fresh air you breathe may not seem surprising; the backpack includes a supply of air and other consumables. Yet after a few days outside in the sunlight, your air will not run out: like a plant, the suit absorbs sunlight and the carbon dioxide you exhale, producing fresh oxygen. Also like a plant (or a whole ecosystem), it breaks down other wastes into simple molecules and reassembles them into the molecular patterns of fresh, wholesome food. In fact, the suit will keep you comfortable, breathing, and well fed almost anywhere in the inner solar system.

What is more, the suit is durable. It can tolerate the failure of numerous nanomachines because it has so many others to take over the load. The space between the active fibers leaves room enough for assemblers and disassemblers to move about and repair damaged devices. The suit repairs itself as fast as it wears out.

Within the bounds of the possible, the suit could have many other features. A speck of material smaller than a pinhead could hold the text of every book ever published, for display on a fold-out screen. Another speck could be a "seed" containing the blueprints for a range of devices greater than the total the human race has yet built, along with replicating assemblers able to make any or all of them.

The ship is an AI construct that can fluidly change as need arises.

Pretty cool. Artifical Intellegence, I saw the film, I think Spielburg, it was pretty good. I guess I'm old school as far as space travel, Enterprise, Bstg, Star Wars, etc. But its fascinating what you have here. Id like to see a film on it...

There are a number of films based on AI ships.
The Babylon 5 series lightly explored an AI ship with limited nano technology with the Vorlons and Shadows.
Farscape has living ships. I even think I recall some Star Trek episodes that explored AI ships, Enterprise featured a ship repair station that was an AI nano-facility that repaired the Enterprise.

I don't recall any book, movie or TV show that features Quantum Braking Drive? Entanglement Drive?
I agree it would be cool to see a film about it.

Nope, I have never heard of a book or any media supporting this cool concept. Maybe Stng had Nano tech, I think I recall Data talking about. It sounds cool though.

The Borg used nanites but the show did a poor job at showing nanite abilities.
Crusade has techno-mages that used nano technology but again never depicted any details.
Transcendence was all about AI using nanotechnology.
Lucy (the film), she used nano tech at the end to create the thumb drive.
Resident Evil used nano tech in the T-virus.

Nano technology is relatively old science and has finally gotten science fiction exposure.
Quantum technology is newer science, thus, having less science fiction exposure.

Science fiction is still stuck in trying to use a propulsion to move faster than light to cross the vast distances of the galaxy. Even Stargate uses a device to teleport to another Stargate thru a worm hole. All are conveyances that require movement. The Ship, the crew or the device moves in spacetime.

I have yet to see or read about a device that stops and allows space to do the moving.
"Drive Braking" is like having a highway that encircles the Earth and you are in a car on that highway.
You hold the car stopped and the Earth moves under your wheels. The Earth would pass at around 500 mph yet you would be completely stationary.

Entanglement Drive is like having the same particle in two different places at the same time. You observe the far particle and it causes the unobserved particle in your possession to solidify at the observation point. You move faster than light.

Combining the two, you can move in any direction at any speed even relatively faster than the speed of the Universe itself.
Since the calculations and controls would need to be faster than the speed of change only a super-AI could even have a chance of doing it. The human brain is not able to think that fast.

Scientists have teleported a particle quantumly. That is real science.
The quantum entanglement that enabled the teleportation was too fast to observe or manipulate during the teleportation. To the scientists and the equipment, it was instantaneous. To a super-AI it may be a manageable duration that can be manipulated.

The thing about AI is that right now, science can only fathom calculations based on human abilities. An AI that creates its own abilities will not be restricted by human limitations.
The World's fastest computer:

Tianhe_2594189b.jpg

Tianhe-2 developed by China's National University of Defense Technology is capable of operating as fast as 33.86 petaflops per second.
That's -
33,860 trillion calculations per second
For an AI that constructs its own matrix, that number may be agonizingly slow.
Think 999,999 trillion calculations per NANO-SECOND!

Back