Long Road Home

-Hey guys! I know that I have three others going on but I wanted to do this, it is a multiple part sequel to Mirage, because of the sweet replies I recieved. enjoy

Here's a Link to Mirage:
Mirage

Long Road Home

He was in awe at what he was seeing. There were hundreds of streets that she could have been and here she was, curled up, trying to stay as far away from him as possible. He walked slowly towards her, hoping not to scare her. He could hear he crying quietly, but just loud enough to be heard above the wind and rain. He could see her shivering and shrugged off his soaping jacket, not knowing what else to do. She tried to weakly resist his picking her up, but he kept hugging her tight in his arms, cuddling her and she fell limp in his arms. He hurried to the hospital which luckily was only a few blocks away. He didn't think she should be this quiet or this still or this light for that matter. He struggled to see through the sheets of rain that were pelleting his eyes.

“Can I help you sir?” A nurse asked him when he rushed them through the doors to the ER.

“She's homeless and well a long story, but I love her and please, just help her.” He said, not knowing how to explain the long and quite frankly, unbelievable story. He laid her down on the gurney that the nurse signaled another nurse to bring over, he saw what a bad condition she was in and nearly fainted, being manly as he was.

“We're going to take good care of her, now if you wouldn't mind...” She trailed off, pointing at a group of hard looking plastic chairs. He sat down and waited, listening the news over and over and then just tried to sleep.

“Sir?” A hesitant doctor's voice came through the foggy haze.

“Yes, sorry.” He said, standing up rather quickly, giving the doctor a small start.

“Sir, we did everything we could, but the baby, well come see.” He said, at a loss at how to explain the situation.

“What do you mean?” He said, begging, as they climbed a flight of steep stairs, and then down a hallway, and another till they came to a window, and he peered down to see a wailing baby. He or she had tiny locks of blond-brown hair and their eyes were squinting so the eye color was indeterminable.

“Here you go, ready for you to take her home.”

“What do you mean?” He repeated what he had been saying. “I wasn't ready for a baby!” He said, sounding shocked, a baby, a girl?!

“Well, it's you, or the baby will be taken to the orphanage.” He said, solemnly, looking not at Vaughn, but the baby squirming inside the window.

“Oh God, no, no, you don't mean it do you? Oh God, why, why.” He collapsed into a row of chairs that were hard, just like in the ER waiting room, but he didn't care. None of this would have happened if he hadn't thrown her out, given her a chance to explain, it was his fault.

“I'm sorry, you can see her though.” He added the second part almost as though it was an after thought.

“Where is she?” He demanded, snapping his head up.

“This way.” Vaughn took one last lingering glance back at the baby and then hurried after the doctor. They stopped in front of a small room and the doctor beckoned to him and he went in.

“When you- When you are done, tell them to page Dr. Hahn.” He shut the door after him and Vaughn felt the waves of grief rush over him. His love was lying cold on the bed. He couldn't believe that it had come down to this.

“You know, Syd, I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna raise our little girl on my own, what we should have been doing together. I'm sorry I kicked you out. I just had a panicked moment and then something happened. See, my job is difficult, I help people in Witness Protection and well, some one wanted to find somebody so they blackmailed me and told me that they were going to hurt you, so I figured that you would be better out without me and so I did it that way. I kicked you out and tried to forget. But I couldn't. I wanted to ask you to marry me, and I wanted to do everything with you. It's my fault and now I'm going to have to face all our little girl's first alone and I'm sorry. I love you. He kissed her stone cold cheek softly and walked out and back to the nursery where he made his final decision. He was going to raise her. He was going to be a daddy.

“Dr. Hahn.” He told a nurse who paged him.

“Yes?” He asked kindly.

“I'm gonna raise her. I'm gonna do it.” He said firmly, because he couldn't back out of this.

“Alright.” Dr. Hahn smiled brightly. “I'm glad, because she's so cute.”

“A girl then.” Vaughn smiled, and stared back down at her. “I'm going to go think about a name and tomorrow can I come back and take her?”

“Yes, and we will show you how to hold her, feed her, change her diaper and stuff like that.” He shook Vaughn's hand joyfully almost and walked off after glancing down at his pager.

Vaughn didn't sleep well that night. He had gone out and gotten pacifiers, bottles, a small crib, diapers, and many other things he thought he might need. Finally though he fell asleep, tomorrow he thought, I'm going to be a daddy.

-don't forget to read and review!

Because of a quick, rash decision, Michael thought he was protecting Sydney. Instead, he sent her to her death- a long, slow, painful death. Michael now has to raise a child on his own.

Thanks for the PM.

Chris

Grrr i know i asked for a sequel
but it was meant to have fluff
as in he saves the baby AND syd
no let one die

Awww that was so heartbreaking :cry:
i wish she had lived!
I find it really touching that the last person Syd embraced was Micheal. :cry:
please update soon!
I really wanna see where this goes . . .

I'm glad we know why Vaughn kicked her out, but he did it all wrong...He helps people in witness protection, why couldn't he put Syd there as well...I'm glad he is going to raise their daughter, but I wish Syd didn't have to die.
Thanks for the pm.

Too bad that' Syd is gone. But maybe Vaughn can made up for what he deid by being great daddy. Wait to see what happens next :D

-I have decided to make this a 3 parter with a epilogue.

Part 2

2:47AM

Suddenly Vaughn shivered and pulled the blanket up to his nose. It felt like an impenetrable cold and then he heard her voice.

“Vaughn.” In that one word he heard her, wistful, yet happy, but still sad.
“Sydney?” He said, sitting up, longing to see her and the day before had been a nightmare.
“I forgive you. I forgive you for not telling me, for kicking me out, everything. I still love you and I'll wait for you.” She said, he could feel the presence of her in his room. He dropped the covers and the room was warm. “I want to help name our baby girl.”

“She's adorable and I was hoping you would come.” Vaughn said, lying back and feeling the bed sink slightly as she sat down next to him.

“Chloe? Do you like Chloe?” She asked.

“Love it. Chloe Rose Bristow-Vaughn.” He said.

“That's beautiful Vaughn, I miss you.” She said. He felt her kiss him on the forehead and felt the room go slightly cold as she left.

“I love you too.” He whispered after her. He knew she had heard him and drifted off to sleep at peace and ready to be a father.

NEXT DAY

Vaughn whistled brightly as he strode quickly down the hallway towards the nursery where his little baby girl awaited him.

“Hello again.” Dr. Hahn greeted him, beaming. “This is Rachel Gibson, she's our best nurse around, but don't tell anyone I said that. She'll show you everything you need to know.”

“This way Mr. Vaughn.” She said. For the next five hours he learned everything he needed to know, just like Dr. Hahn said.

“Thanks for everything.” He said gratefully as he finally started to leave with Chloe Rose Bristow-Vaughn.

“If you need anything, call us.” Rachel said.

He headed for the elevator and left the hospital. Dr. Hahn had told him that he would need to get a pediatrician and to keep her warm and that he wouldn't be sleeping much.

He carefully strapped his tiny passenger in and smiled at her curling and uncurling fingers and kissed each and every one of them

LATE THAT NIGHT

He groaned when a baby wail started up. He felt as though he had been getting up for years and groaned when the baby started to wail louder.

He walked into the room and sighed. He felt her presence. Suddenly Chloe started to coo quietly. He knew Sydney was helping him and he sat in the rocking chair, sighing happily.

“I have to go now.” He heard her say.

“I know, I love you.” He said.

“I love you too.” He sat in the chair the rest of the night, watching his little girl sleep soundly.

He couldn't believe he had gotten here, in fact he didn't know how he had done it.

“We're gonna be fine arn't we sweety.” He whispered into the baby girl he now held in his arms, who was watching him with wide open eyes.

-Please Review
-nads

Back