Lord of the rings Online

I don't know if any of you like the LOTR franchise, but it is one of my favorite fantasy series. When I heard there was a LOTR MMORPG coming out, I was estatic, but then I heard about HJ and knew it would be my game. But until HJ comes out I'm thinking about playing LOTR online as long as it comes out a decent time before HJ.

Whats your opinion on the game and would you play it?

http://lotro.turbine.com/

After the complete balls-up those guys made of DDO, I'm REALLY wary.

Like, imagine you got handed the D&D license... and then proceeded to ---- it up completely. That's what they did.

So, being handed the Tolkien license is the same scenario... but I REALLY hope it somehow works out OK, but I'll need to be convinced.

What I've seen so far hasn't been super compelling and, if I can be frank, I'm not sure licensed properties make for good MMORPGs in general.

Actually I've heard great things about LOTR online, and the graphics look fantastic. The only problem I see is that it is the 'generic' MMORPG. The basic warrior, healer, tank, buff, damage dealer, etc. They've changed the classes aroud a bunch so it is a different feel. And in the beta journals I've read that there are more than enough quests to do.

I don't think I'll fall through as it is rated one of the top awaited games at MMORPG.com.

Khemenlith said:
Actually I've heard great things about LOTR online, and the graphics look fantastic. The only problem I see is that it is the 'generic' MMORPG. The basic warrior, healer, tank, buff, damage dealer, etc. They've changed the classes aroud a bunch so it is a different feel. And in the beta journals I've read that there are more than enough quests to do.

I don't think I'll fall through as it is rated one of the top awaited games at MMORPG.com.
Look, don't get me wrong, I hope it works a treat, but I am very, very wary of Turbine's overall skills. I still cannot BELIEVE how bad DDO is. I literally cannot fathom how someone could be given the Grandaddy of all fantasy gaming licenses... and they ruined it. It beggar's belief, really. So once bitten, twice shy, which is why I approach LoTRO with caution.

DDO wasn't horrible, but they're asking too much for the fee. It's a tad repeative as well, but you're digging on EQ2. LoL Die, bear, die. Regardless..
As I've stated on MMORPG.com I pretty much wasn't expecting anything from any liscensed MMO ever. They have no choice but to follow convention to fit into the general generic perception of an existing world / setting.
LOTR online tho' and the recent reviews has me pondering giving it a try after all the kinks are worked out of it's first few months. I don't think it'd be a game I'd commit too, but I do believe it'll have some good times. Which is why I game.

Luciro said:
DDO wasn't horrible, but they're asking too much for the fee. It's a tad repeative as well, but you're digging on EQ2. LoL Die, bear, die. Regardless..
Actually I'm not "digging" EQ2 -- I've quit it. You've seen me defend it against the likes of WoW before on this forum, but that's very, very different to being an EQ2 fanboi, per se.

I mean, we can go into the whole EQ2 vs. WoW debate again -- and I'm more than happy to point out things like any race can be any class in EQ2, which is much better than WoW's character system.

Or how about in WoW, if you’re a Horde Priest, you have all the same spells and skills of an Alliance Priest? While in EQ2, for example, a Templar has healing, group buff spells and enemy pacification whilst its evil counterpart, the Inquisitor, focuses on healing but with divine wrath of a more offensive medium? Two sides of the same coin... but different. A lot more thought was put into the way EQ handles the good and evil versions of the same characters.

And what about the guild Structure? The guild system in WoW is nothing more than a group of members, with ranks you can assign that don’t really mean much. EQ2 blows it out of the water in every regard. Guilds earn levels based on the actions the members are doing to benefit their aligned city. Members and guilds also earn prestige for performing beneficial acts for their city, competing against other guilds. This prestige can be accumulated to afford benefits to the guild and it’s member, such as reduced pricing on housing and special items. Guilds in EQ2 have built-in guild vaults, amongst other features that greatly help organisation. Phew.

Honestly, I really didn't want to get into the EQ2 vs. WoW thing again, so I'll stop there, but I'm more than happy to put those cards on the table. Doesn't mean I'm in love with the game, however, far from it.

It's just that, so far I haven't seen too much thrown back that's actually made much sense. Like the comment that EQ2 costs "$150 a year in additional content" but when I pointed out that the game has yet to crack that mark in two years, even if I include an as-yet-unreleased expansion.

So I'll compare the two games, and I'll happily point out that EQ2 is a superior game in a number of areas, but that's the POV of a gamer, rather than an EQ2 fanboi. Just want that to be crystal.

Any race, any class, all do the same dps and are balanced. Thus play the same. Toss a tauren warrior against a night elf warrior, they'd play similar but each could have their own strengths. As far as the difference between each faction's 'side' of the same class. It really didn't matter. Like the face sliders in EQ2, show me any image of any race where sliding the face really made as much difference as hair style, color, skin color? Without going into gross manipulation like making an elf with a super huge deformed nose, which I've done. ;) LoL
Oh and does the guild structure really help out in EQ2? Player housing is completely under used, the guild's levels really add up to nothing but discounts in the game's visual blandness. Raids in either game ran the same affair, except the bosses and the dungeons actually vary.
Also it went to 150 easy with the expansions at new retail plus the Adventure packs which add nothing to the size of the game.
20 for the game, both expansions released at 40 bucks a pop. That's 100, how much extra you've put into it? Or you didn't? Doesn't matter then.
Fact is, all the bad things you've judged on this game already is probably just based on the horrible experience that is EQ2. It had some great story telling at the first part of the game, but then it totally lacked after level 20.
Point out what tactical difference in the game play of any rogue types in EQ2?

OK, so even if we take 20 for the game and the super-inflated 40 for the two expansions, we're at 100... and there hasn't been $50 worth of adventure packs, has there?

Yet the allegation was that it was costing $150 a year, which would be $300 by now, by my reckoning. So, really, the comment was just flat-out misleading on quite a large scale.

I really have to say that I have not enjoyed EQ2 as much as I did EQ1. Guess that's why I am not playing it anymore.... and I am pissed at SOE so I refuse to give them anymore money.

Turbine's games area generally different, not the same feely feely like other companies put out. I've never been overly impressed with their games, but I might consider giving this one a shot IF they provide a free trial. Sucks to shell out bucks for a game you won't play.

Frankly, I'm waiting for ZELDA!!!!

what a nerdy

Well, free trials only tend to come out a good while after the games actual release... unless the game is utterly tanking. I think they released the DDO trial a lot earlier than they probably thought they would, because that game just blows.

The game looks good but its nothing original or ground breaking in terms of what we have on the market now. The one good thing is the amount of quests that are in it. I can't beleave how many they have which is nice lets ya forget your grinding.

But I'll def give it a try will give me something to do till 2010 when HJ comes out ;)

HAHA ya'll are so cute! and omg Blur your name! Awww *hugs you*

LOTRO has a really really really good quest system. I love the quest system, they've made MAJOR improvements in the graphics and engine....Worth trying, definantly. But I won't be buying it I don't think...I Wanna try Warhammer Online when it's out, I currently am playing WoW and PSU (PSU rocks by the way and the first LU comes out in a couple days, Eeee!!!) So lalala. If you liked the movies, and such, you will definantly like this game.

Been watching LOTRO since it was Middle-earth online, there are a few things they are adding that could make it interesting. One of the main ones is that they plan to have layered instancing, multiple instances of the sample place, each slightly different. An example would be walking into a villages (instance 1), everything looks fine and normal, you pick up some quests and head out. Then you come back from doing some quests to find the village is on fire and under attack (instance 2), you go in and fight off the attackers. If you come back after that you get a burned village (instance 3), where the people are recovering from teh attack.

I find it a cool idea that could help a lot with the static world feel that a lot of MMOs suffer from, the feeling that no matter what you do and who you kill if you come back tomorrow it will be back to the way it was and nothing you did mattered.

Back