Lord of the rings Online

Focus test weekend... and you expected no lag? heh

Our lowest comp here is a 1.2gig 512 with fx5200. We test on all our comps but that one... barely managed to survive the some 500 people gathered in shire for test day. However, it does well on normal days, graphics set to low (no SHADOWS), but can get laggy during huge fight scenes.

On top of the line 3/3gig the baby purrs along on high, not a glitch.

Can't wait to see the high res client.

MINSTRELS RULE (okay, minus tiers)

just had to say that heh

Hm, I keep wanting to give this a go, but the possibility of being grouped with a l££tspeaking XXGanDoLfXX is putting me off. I think I may pass on this one but it does look a lot better than the Horror Wot Was DDO, I guess they learned some rather important things after that.

I'm with Trillian on this one. Been following it for a while, gorgeous graphics, but the (high) possibility of the world being predominantly populated by...um... leetspeakers would ultimately ruin the experience for me. Perhaps if they institute an enforced roleplay server (unlikely), or if one pops up (as the Europa server did in UO) I may consider it.

I am also put off by some of the new screenshots, the ones involving casters. I have read the books (including the Silmarilion, the best in my opinion), though I would not consider myself a huge Tolkien fan. Seems a rather clumsy commercial move, kowtowing to the players rather than sticking to a faithful interpetation of the lore. Gandolf himself, powerful as he was, rarely used his powers, and when he did there usueally weren't bright flashy colors and sparks everywhere. I could be wrong, I haven't played it. Magic may actually not be quite as rampant (and as visible) as it seems. I will wait and see before deciding.

Well Gandalf wasn't an elf or a human spell caster. So his influance was something a tad bit more and the way it was use in the stories was great. In Tolkien's work there's never been a closed door on mage's casting fire balls, it just wasn't ever the focus. But I as well hope that the spells are subtle yet cool. Hmm, guess it's pretty open ended. Too bad in a MMO it'll have to be made more concrete.

I seem to recall they wrote up an explaination of why there are "casters" in game. There are no casters (in their eyes).

Those animations you see are not magic, if you look close, all "spells" like fireballs etc are alchemy at work. Like the loremaster, he pulls out his bag of powders and herbs, mixes them or whatever, flints 'em and whalla... you've a cute fireball to shoot as someone.

With heal type spells, it's just a glow, usually matched with a hunched over "please, <insert deity here> let this work" posture or the reaching to the heavens to ask for healing help from above.

As for leety dudes and net speakers, *shrug* I'm sure they'll show up. I've yet to see many, which is a majorly welcome respite from what I see in other games.

What they really need to do is add roleplay filter like Daoc has. /rpfilter FTW For the win!
Love that thing. Every time someone said "thx" I had the filter to display (only to me) as "I'm too ungrateful to actually spell out THANK YOU" hehehehe
Only you would see the filtered word. Love it, just love it.

Seeria said:
What they really need to do is add roleplay filter like Daoc has. /rpfilter FTW For the win!
Love that thing. Every time someone said "thx" I had the filter to display (only to me) as "I'm too ungrateful to actually spell out THANK YOU" hehehehe
Only you would see the filtered word. Love it, just love it.

/rpfilter ... I will never stop singing the praises of that command... *sigh* Makes RP'ing so much more interesting, and less of a hassle.

I seem to recall being told it the sound of the Chinese haha.

For awhile in EQ (like year 2) it was all the rage to use "kk" instead of "haha." *shrug*

Seeria said:
I seem to recall being told it the sound of the Chinese haha.

For awhile in EQ (like year 2) it was all the rage to use "kk" instead of "haha." *shrug*
Well, it must have came back, because LOADS of people used to say it in EQ2 when I was playing.

*bleh* <belches on "kk"> "OK" contains one K, saying "KK is like the sound of chinese 'haha'" is just ... I don't know, dumb? I have coworkers that say "keke", that, I guess I'll shut my mouth and cope with ... but "kk" is too ambiguous. I've *always* taken it to mean "ok" or -'k- with two instead of one 'k'.

That bothers me, so I guess I'll leave it at that.

I don't remember it. I mean, honestly, I just thought they were saying "ok" like a frantic little caffeinated weasel with ADD. *shrug*

Seeria said:
lol Do you really see it used now days? I haven't seen it around in ages, whatever it represents.
Yeah, absolutely. People were saying it to me in EQ2 all the damn time... as of just a few months ago, before I quit the game.

So who's who in beta two?

Just call me Rhymin' Simon!

Actually this time around I've started with a dwarf guardian named Koin.

Let's get an HJ team running rampant in LotRO!

Oh, and if anyone has an extra key or got one because they were in beta one and aren't interested in testing...please please give me a shout! My marriage may not survive another round of beta with only one key between us.

Thanks!

Back