Fantasy The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Krazed

Cadet
Title: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Tagline: One ring to rule them all

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Action

Director: Peter Jackson

Cast: Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Bean, Sean Astin, Cate Blanchett, John Rhys-Davies, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Orlando Bloom, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Ian Holm, Andy Serkis, Marton Csokas, Craig Parker, Lawrence Makoare, Alan Howard, Noel Appleby, Sala Baker, Megan Edwards, Michael Elsworth, Mark Ferguson, Brent McIntyre, Peter McKenzie, Sarah McLeod, Ian Mune, Cameron Rhodes, Martyn Sanderson, Harry Sinclair, David Weatherley, Victoria Beynon-Cole, Lee Hartley, Sam La Hood, Chris Streeter, Jonathan Jordan, Semi Kuresa, Clinton Ulyatt, Paul Bryson, Lance Fabian Kemp, Jono Manks, Ben Price, Phil Grieve, Billy Jackson, Katie Jackson, Peter Corrigan, Lori Dungey, Norman Forsey, William Johnson, Elizabeth Moody, Brian Sergent, Thomas McGinty, Kate O'Rourke, Gino Acevedo, Betty Adams, Daniel Andrews, Matt Appleton, Rodney Bane, Timothy Bartlett, Jarl Benzon, Jørn Benzon, Lynden Berrymen, Bob Blackwell, Ben Britton, Jed Brophy, Riley Brophy, Ryan Carey, Norman Cates, Rachel Clentworth, Randall William Cook, Sabine Crossen, Tack Daniel, Peter Daube, Mana Hira Davis, Shane Dawson, Branko Dordevich, Siaosi Fonua, Kester Fordham, Xander Forterie, Ben Fransham, Phoebe Gittins, Warren Green, Winham Hammond, Jonathan Harding, Zo Hartley, Taea Hartwell, Ray Henwood, David Houma, Lani Jackson, Peter Jackson, Gareth Jensen, Ralph Johnson, Stu Johnson, Tim Kano, Sam Kelly, Jeff Kingsford-Brown, Greg Lane, Alan Lee, Sacha Lee, Peter Lyon, Marta Martí, Sharon Maxwell, Richard Maybery, Bret McKenzie, Tim McLachlan, Liz Merton, Dean Morganty, Greg Morrison, Blair Morton, Andrew Munro, David J. Muzzerall, Shane Rangi, Larry Rew, Grant Roa, Thomas Robins, Vincent Roxburgh, Chris Ryan, Paul Shapcott, Samuel E. Shore, Mike Stearne, Andrew Stehlin, Ken Stratton, Jo Surgison, Tim Wong, Robert Young

Release: 2001-12-18

Runtime: 179

Plot: Young hobbit Frodo Baggins, after inheriting a mysterious ring from his uncle Bilbo, must leave his home in order to keep it from falling into the hands of its evil creator. Along the way, a fellowship is formed to protect the ringbearer and make sure that the ring arrives at its final destination: Mt. Doom, the only place where it can be destroyed.
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Ok I totally love the movie, but the way the Elf's die confuse me. :o_O: I know that they can be killed in battle obviously, but then how do they die if they don't participate in a battle and get killed? Do they stay young forever? And if they do stay young forever then wouldn't there be an over population of the Elf people? :blink: I just don't know. :o_O: Someone please help me!!! :nervous: :nervous:

Krazed :ninja:

Okay, I am a total LOTR freak, I have read all the books, the Silmarillion, and (most of) the History of Middle Earth.

Basically, the one Eru, who in the language of those on Arda is called Iluvatar (Emphasis on the u), gave a gift to men, and one to elves. When elves "die", they don't really. That is, there bodies/spirits hang around arda. And they stay there. Forever. Those who aren't killed in battle eventually get the urge to pack up and move to Valinor. So far so good?

Now, men got the gift of Mortality. Yup. mortality. When men die, they go to a place totally different. Away from everything else. They don't look back. their souls are not tied to middle earth.

And as for overpopulation, it isn't really an issue. There haven't really been very many elves in the entire history of the world. Think about it - if you lived for thousands and thousands and years, you probably wouldn't have babies at the rate of humans. So there aren't that many. Galadriel and Elrond are only a few generations away from the elves that were present AT THE CREATION OF THE EARTH. A long time.

Now I bet you're sorry you asked.

Jonathan said:
Okay, I am a total LOTR freak, I have read all the books, the Silmarillion, and (most of) the History of Middle Earth.
OOOOOOO me too, I'm obsessed :smiley: Obviosly read all the books and the Silmarillion, but I havn't read the History :( I can't get my parents to let me buy them. :angry:

About the elves: it is said that they are immortal, which isn't quite true. No, they will not die of "natural" causes like old age or sickness. The only way they can die is by getting shot, stabbed, decapitated, all that battle stuff, or some of them will also die of grief.

SiriCerasi said:
Jonathan said:
OOOOOOO me too, I'm obsessed :smiley: Obviosly read all the books and the Silmarillion, but I havn't read the History :( I can't get my parents to let me buy them. :angry:
Silly parents...

Whoa!!!! You guys are freaking awesome!! Thanks so much! I haven't read the book yet but it's on my things to do list.

Ok only last question. If the Elves aren't the largest group of people and man is not, then who is?

Jonathan said:
SiriCerasi said:
Jonathan said:
Silly parents...
Yes I know and the sad thing is that they think they're obsessed.... they wouldnt let me see the movie opening day either :( I tried for midnight but there was no way they'd let me do that :rolleyes:

Krazed said:
Whoa!!!! You guys are freaking awesome!! Thanks so much! I haven't read the book yet but it's on my things to do list.

Ok only last question. If the Elves aren't the largest group of people and man is not, then who is?

Hmm I would either say men or orcs ;) I'm actually not sure... hmm good question. something for me to do :smiley:

The fact is, men have more people if you count all the men that have ever lived, but there are most likely about the same number of men and elves on Arda right now.

Good question. I don't really know. If you're really confused, check out the Q&A section at theonring.net. It has some good questions for tolkein freaks.

I am extremely glad to find out I am not the only total LOTR fan freak!!! I am absolutely in love with the movies and the HOT man Aragorn! :D

btvaughn said:
I am extremely glad to find out I am not the only total LOTR fan freak!!! I am absolutely in love with the movies and the HOT man Aragorn! :D
Definatly not the only one! :D I have a huge poster of Legolas hanging over my computer and another one of Aragorn over my desk...

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database