Lost and Found

Lauren??? Oh my -- things are gonna get really interesting now!

I love Jack in this --- protective of Sydney, yet understanding her personality and Sark's and their need to finish the mission!

Sark -- oh so clever! "Put Weiss and Vaughn on the false leads Sloane hands us!" .... Hahahahaa ...now that will keep them out of his way!

And emotional Sark? Wow -- now there's a side of him I didn't expect to see!!

Thanks for the update -- I'll be waiting for the next chapter!!

Man, I feel like such a stalker... :beret: :Ph34r: But, really, I don't mean it, I just :love: your fics, Amy!! I already reviewed over at Mad-Love, but yes, I'm a stalker, we already covered that. :blush:

I can't wait to see what you're going to do with the "half-crazed" ( ^_^ I loved that description) Lauren Reed and Sloane. So good!!

Thanks for the PM and, as always, can't wait for more! :flowers:

Not enough time to properly review but here's what I thought:

They used Morse code to talk to each other at the dinner table... clever! (y)

I love how Sark trusts her. :smiley: It sucks that he couldn't give her comfort at first, but I like how Syd understood and didn't push him. :smiley:

The conversation between Sark and Jack... I can seriously imagining them butting heads. I love how Sark isn't afraid of Jack... and he even laughed and mentioned Project Christmas!

Yay that Syd remembered something!! I love how Sark didn't ask her what, but he let her tell him. And when he saw how upset she was, he did comfort her!! :D And that sweet kiss... :love:

Sloane, that man is so sneaky!! He knows that they know that he knows so why is he continuing with this charade?? :Ponder:

Lauren?! She was the doctor's assisstant?! :woot: I loved the "half-crazed look in her eyes." :lol: That's probably how Sloane knew they'd killed the doctor, cause of Lauren! :hmm:

I loved it, Amy! As I always do! :D The Sarkney has taken a step in the right direction, the Sark/Jack relationship is amusing, Sloane is just... Sloane. :lol: And now the introduction of Lauren... eeee!! (y) (y) Can't wait for more!!

wonderful wonderful...lauren's in there now? uh oh...grrr, i hate sloane as much as i do in your stories as i do on the show. he is evil and manipulative (and ugly but that's not the point). i hate him. grr...i love the sarkney. the kiss and the comforting, so cute. and sark with jack. he loves syd probably as much as jack does :smiley:. anyway that's for the pm update soon!

thanks for the PM.

Lauren Reed, lol hilarious, can't wait to see what happens next. personally i'm a fan of the LR character she's evil so she's probably get killed. oh well i'm cool with that ^_^

amy lynn said:
The rest of dinner Sydney spent watching Sloane carefully.  She analyzed his every movement – every inflection of his voice and came to the conclusion that he was definitely hiding something big.  His actions were reminiscent of every single SD-6 briefing she had been to after she found out the truth.  Sloane may believe that he’s a good liar, but when you knew what to look for – he was the worst liar in the world.

But this bit I'm not 100% sure on - Sloane the worst liar (hmmm)

Sark was involved in an intense conversation with Jack.  It seemed that he was not so thrilled with the possibility that Sloane was still controlling their actions.  He wanted to take Sydney out of his house, and Sark believed that it was best to continue – but with a slightly altered plan.

“You are deliberately putting my daughter in danger if you stay.”  Jack’s tone clearly stated – I’m right and don’t mess with me.  But Sark had never feared that tone.

“If we leave, we lose every chance of figuring out what Sloane is up to.”

“If you don’t leave, you could both die.”  This time, Jack sounded almost like he was pleading with Sark.  It was the thought of Sydney in danger that did that to Jack, just like when they had spoke in Sark’s CIA cell – the night that Sydney had almost been taken from him.

There was silence on both lines as the two men took in to consideration the words that were just uttered.

Sark’s voice interrupted the pregnant pause as he stated quietly, “I know.  But we’ve run that risk for most of our lives.”

Jack nodded on the other end of the line, “I know.  But Sydney is my daughter.  I never wanted her to become a part of this life.”

Sark laughed, “Then why Project Christmas?”

“I don’t have to explain my actions to you, Sark.” Jack’s voice was cool as ice.  Again, it was the don’t-mess-with-me tone.

“Of course, you just do things without asking anybody as long as they suit your purposes.  Well you won’t change my mind, or Sydney’s mind.”

Jack sighed heavily.  “My daughter is stubborn, I know this well.  But you are supposed to be her voice of reason.  She can’t be thinking clearly.”

“And she has a good reason for that.  She wants her memories back.  Speaking of which, have we found out anything about this painter, Nicolaro, or about Dante?”  No more personal stuff.  It was back to business.

“Weiss and Vaughn are still looking into it.  So far, they have found a few passages that could work.  But nothing has been located regarding this painter – though we are still looking into it.”

“Good.  Another thing; Sloane will most likely plant some false leads that he expects us to check out, since he planned on us bugging the phone line.  Maybe you should put Weiss or Vaughn on that too.  If we make it look like we’re taking the bait, Sloane may not suspect anything.”  Sark’s phone beeped a warning at him.  “I should go; long conversations could be dangerous here.  I’ll contact you later this evening.  If you don’t hear from me by midnight, than assume that something is wrong.”

Both men hung up the phone without another word.  It was implied that Jack understood his last statement and would take it seriously.

You nailed Jack well - yah!

Sloane continued, “I’d like to introduce you to an associate of mine, Lauren Reed.”

Oh my god!!!!!!!

:hi:

👍 enjoyed your new chapter
Why I'm writing in the quote bit I have no clue why??? :blush:

Okay - no time for individual responses for this chapter...just know I :love: you all!

After taking a writing break (no writers block, just didn't feel like actually writing what I know is going to happen) I'm working hard on the next chapter. Unfortunately, the story is coming to a close - only a few chapters left (maybe that is why I was procrastinating...)

Anyway, thanks again for the great reviews, they always make my day! As for my new readers, you'll be added to the PM list for next time I update!

A/N: Okay all, thanks for the lovely reviews! I appreciate them more than you could ever imagine. Sorry it’s been so long since the update…I didn’t have writers block, I just didn’t have the time to write. I got quite busy all of the sudden with moving and apartment hunting and graduate school stuff…and I was too tired to write at night…

Anyway, this story is coming to a close…only a couple of chapters and an epilogue left. Craziness!!

I know it's a short update - but I wanted to get you all something, so the wait wasn't as long! PMs going out after I post!

Chapter 11
Time runs out on the game…

Everyone sees what you seem, but few know what you are.
-Machiavelli

Oh s***, was the first thought that crossed Sydney and Sark’s minds. Their eyes were locked on each other and their brains were playing the entire situation over again. How had they missed such an important detail? And what were they supposed to do now? The only logical answer was to keep playing the game, along with Sloane. The outcome of this new development would depend on who was better at it.

Sark moved first, going to shake Lauren Reed’s hand. Sydney simply nodded a quick hello. It appeared that the new player wanted to say something to Sydney and Sark, but Sloane just put a hand on hers and spoke up instead, prolonging the pretense of the night.

“Ms. Reed does an excellent job overseeing the process at the winery. It was not until I promoted her that our wine began to sell to the finest establishments, as well as the most wealthy and discriminating clientele.” His voice did not hide his pride, but the pride was in his successful deception and manipulation of the two standing in front of him.

There was a time when Sloane had thought of Sydney as his own daughter. There was also a time when he had considered Sark and Irina Derevko his full partners. Those times had most definitely passed. It gave him great pleasure to ruin their lives – and even greater pleasure to know that he was so close to Rambaldi’s endgame. He could hardly contain his excitement. But he did, just to string them along a little longer.

That was a mistake. Sydney knew exactly what she needed to do. Her mind flashed back to a conversation she had with her father before they came here.

“Most likely you will have to activate Il Dire, just like Sloane wants. But you need to know that this is the last resort. If you can get to the trigger before you have to activate Il Dire, do. We don’t know what this machine will do to you. However, if you need to go that far, once the message is relayed, Sloane is disposable.” With those words, her father had sat back and watched the reaction on her face carefully.

She had been shocked when he suggested it. But now she realized that he was preparing her for the inevitable. Somehow he had figured that Sloane would leave her no other options.

Sydney took a deep breath, preparing to verbalize the decision she had just made. Sark looked over at her – recognizing the look of determination on her face. But this time, he had no idea what was going on in her head. He had no idea what she was thinking. And that worried him.

Her voice was unwavering as she spoke, mustering up all of her skills as an operative for this one moment. “Sloane, lets stop playing at this ridiculous charade. You know the trigger for my memory. So I need you. I hold the key to activating Il Dire and must aid you willingly. So you need me. It sounds like a straightforward business deal to me.”

Sark hissed in his breath, feeling a flash of anger at her suggestion. She had not consulted him, and that made him angry. She had also just put herself at the mercy of Arvin Sloane, and that made him extremely worried. He wanted to know what the hell she was thinking doing this without consulting him first.

Sloane nodded, appreciating her candor. It was pure Sydney Bristow to see everything so clear-cut, so black and white. He could play along with that – to dangle freedom before her eyes, only to take it away. “I think that we could make some sort of arrangement. Lauren, Sark, if you would excuse us, please.”

Sark looked at Sloane like he was crazy. “I’m staying.”

Sloane sent him a truly evil leer and just said simply, “No, you are not. This is between me and Sydney. I will deal with you later.”

His tone left no room for manipulation and Sark knew how to bide his time to make a move. So, Sark placed a hand on Sydney’s shoulder and left the room quietly – the whole time forming a plan behind quiet blue eyes.

Lauren sulkily followed Sark out of the room, annoyed that she was brought in to say nothing and then asked to leave.

Sark stood outside the door to the library, waiting and listening as covertly as possible. Lauren just looked over at him with a sneer on her face. “You think you’re all high and mighty, don’t you? I guess we took you down a peg.”

Sark just laughed at her blatant attempt at intimidation. She was an interesting study, he decided. Tough as nails on the outside, but clearly weak on the inside – after all, she had run away while he was shooting the doctor, unable to stay and fight. And she clearly wasn’t that high ranking in Sloane’s organization, or else he would have asked her to stay. That meant that, while she had her uses, she was mostly a dispensable pawn.

Her lips pursed together and her facial expression became like one who just tasted something extremely sour. “I fail to see how you are in a position to be laughing at me.”

Sark looked over at her, his lip twitching in amusement. “If I wanted to, I could kill you right now. I wouldn’t even need to use my gun. Your threats are useless on me.”

Lauren hissed in response, she actually hissed. And then she retreated to her corner of the ornate hallway, muttering under her breath about British bastards. Sark remained where he was, positioned outside the door, just waiting to barge in there at the slightest provocation.

Sark was generally a patient man, but not where Arvin Sloane was concerned – and most definitely not when Sydney Bristow’s life was on the line.

As Sydney faced Sloane, she was hit with another memory. The simple fact that she was regaining her memory, sans trigger, was what prompted her to make this deal. She decided that she was going to play Sloane – she was going to pretend that she needed him, so that he would in turn need her. But in reality, it appeared that the painting had done the trick.

As with the last time a memory hit, she felt distanced from the reality of the situation at hand and her stomach started rolling in nausea. As Sloane droned on about the power of Rambaldi, Sydney’s vision blurred and was replaced with the sight of crystal blue water and the sound of waves crashing on sand.

Her body was aching. She was so tired; she could barely lift herself up in bed. She could turn her head and see the ocean, the clear blue ocean, through the French doors in her room that led to the beach. The sound of waves crashing was comforting and familiar.

Suddenly she had a sensation that was not as familiar. She heard another set of breaths. She turned her head slowly the other way. There was somebody in her room, sitting on her bed, watching her.

She tried to reach for her gun on the nightstand, but the hand of this person clamped around her wrist.

In the back of her mind, she knew that she recognized this person. She shook her head, as if that would clear away the fogginess of her brain.

She looked into tired blue eyes, set in a haggard face with a purple bruise on his cheek. The unruly blond hair had been shaved.

She looked into the face of Sark.

The sound of Sloane’s voice raising brought her out of the memory. “Sydney? You look distracted, my dear. Is everything okay?”

She was calm and collected in her response. There was just a quiver of fear inside her that she squashed easily as she fell back into the routine of lying to Sloane. “You know I do not believe in this Rambaldi business. However, you also know that I need your help with my memory. Why we must discuss a man that I don’t fully believe in is beyond me.”

Sloane looked at her with an unreadable gaze. “I suppose we should get down to the semantics of the deal, then.”

She nodded, ready to deal. “That would be a good idea. But before we do, I insist that Sark be here with me. He is my full partner. It is both of us together, or you do not get to use me.”

Sloane just looked at her with a condescending glare. “I’m afraid – “

Sydney just held her head up high with determination and stared at Sloane evenly. It was a move so reminiscent of Irina, which surprised him. “I will walk out that door. This is non-negotiable.”

Sloane agreed to her demand; because his pursuit of Rambaldi was too close to throw it all away over such a small demand. Besides, in his mind – it made things easier for when he disposed of the two agents.

He walked over to the door and opened it, allowing Sark to enter the room. Lauren started to walk in as well, only to have the door shut in her face. She recalled what Sloane had told her the other day – the less the details you know, the better it will be.

When Sloane had explained the situation to her, it had made sense. But right now, she was fuming. While Lauren paced in anger, Sark and Sydney made a deal with the devil. A deal they never meant to keep.

It was nearing midnight. Jack kept one eye on the clock and one eye on his cell phone. Sark still had yet to make contact. He was preparing for the moment to break the news to Weiss and Vaughn that plan A had failed and secondary protocol was necessary.

Just then, Weiss came running into the room where Vaughn was sitting quietly, reading over some history of Dante’s life – and avoiding Jack Bristow’s steady eyes. “I found something on Nicolaro,” he panted, as if he had just run a couple of miles.

Vaughn looked up, hope springing into his eyes. For though Sydney would not choose to be with him – he understood that now – he still cared deeply for her and would do all that he could to help bring her memory back. It was, perhaps, his most selfless act of all.

Weiss was flushed and excited as he spoke, “About thirty years ago, Nicolaro and Sloane were both under the instruction of Conrad – a monk in Nepal, who has dedicated his life to the study of Rambaldi. However, later in life, Nicolaro decided that what he really wanted to do was paint. He had no desire to search for Rambaldi. Sloane parted with him to continue the search, but apparently they still kept in touch.”

Vaughn sat back, an amazed look on his face. “So, the trigger phrase must have something to do with a journey.”

Jack, who had been listening, jumped into the conversation. “Yes, that is correct. Conrad, the monk, led them both on this journey – but for some reason Nicolaro gave up and decided to paint, while Sloane continued on. The trigger phrase will have to do with Sloane’s strength and the journey itself.”

Vaughn nodded, his brow furrowed while he thought deeply about the phrases he had come up with from the text. Suddenly it dawned on him. He picked up a copy of the book and leafed through the pages, until he found the passage he was looking for.

A man must stand in fear of just those things
That truly have the power to do us harm,
Of nothing else, for nothing else is fearsome.

God gave me such a nature through His Grace,
That torments you must bear cannot affect me,
Nor are the fires of Hell a threat to me.

The three men read the passage silently. It fit so well. Sloane truly believed he was chosen to realize the endgame of Milo Rambaldi. He believed that the monk had given him the strength, knowledge, and power to do so. And Nicolaro must have truly feared the journey – there must have been something that happened to cause him harm.

Jack was the first to speak. “We’re flying to France tonight. We will go in and apprehend Sloane. Then we will make an attempt to help Sydney. If it doesn’t work, then at least Sloane will be in our custody.”

The three men started packing up right away. In a matter of hours, they were on the private jet, flying to France. Jack could only hope that Sydney had not done anything too impulsive.

I was so happy to see that you updated..I love how Sydney's playing him..I can't wait to see if the passage works on her or if they will get to her in time..So excited to read more..Thanks for the PM.

~Rach~

it can't be the right phrase. it just can't. it's too easy. then again with sydney and sark making "a deal with the devil" that would of course make it harder. she had done something implusive. hmmmm.....

geez i don't think like that about situation that are actually happening in my life but i do about this :smiley:. it was great amy. sloane is indeed evil. he should die!!!!!!!!!!!! :smiley: such a happy thought. i like how weak lauren is. v. appropriate. i like that you can appreciate vaughn with the whole selfless act thing. it is nice sometimes to be kind to him and make him look good instead of kicking his ass. :smiley:.

can't wait for the next chapter! thanks for the pm!

m-c

Wow Amy! I can't believe we're winding down! This was another brilliant update! I love how everything seems to be coming together. :smiley: Awesome!

Oh... No way. You updated. I thought it was my wishful thinking when your PM popped up, but alas... No. Yay!!

:beret: (I almost let him loose. A close call. Very close.)

ETA:

Machiavelli...hey, there. I always sort of saw Sark (not this season, though) as a sort of younger, cuter, British Machiavelli, so nice quotage there. (y) (y)

There was a time when Sloane had thought of Sydney as his own daughter. There was also a time when he had considered Sark and Irina Derevko his full partners. Those times had most definitely passed. It gave him great pleasure to ruin their lives – and even greater pleasure to know that he was so close to Rambaldi’s endgame. He could hardly contain his excitement. But he did, just to string them along a little longer.

Sloane sort of reminds me here of David Carradine's Bill in "Kill Bill". Evil and ruthless and totally, smugly satisfied with himself and thinking how great he is and how easy this will be. It's kind of creepy and I hate him at the same time; nice characterization.

Sloane nodded, appreciating her candor. It was pure Sydney Bristow to see everything so clear-cut, so black and white. He could play along with that – to dangle freedom before her eyes, only to take it away.

Oh, you evil b*stard, you. What a delusional creep and, yet, so very Sloane.

Sark looked over at her, his lip twitching in amusement. “If I wanted to, I could kill you right now. I wouldn’t even need to use my gun. Your threats are useless on me.”

Lauren hissed in response, she actually hissed.

Ha. This is going to be pop-culture inspired review today. :lol: This whole passage reminds of that time in "Top Gun" where Tom Cruise says something sarcastic/faintly threatening to Val Kilmer and Val Kilmer just goes up to him and smacks his teeth together. Like...:wtf:, Lauren?? That is so like her to just...hiss. Like the catty, uninspired little lapcat she is. And wouldn't that be nice if Sark did kill her? Violently, if possible. :smiley::hint:: ::hint::smiley: ;)

She looked into tired blue eyes, set in a haggard face with a purple bruise on his cheek. The unruly blond hair had been shaved.

She looked into the face of Sark.

Uh, oh. Starting to remember. And what, I wonder, will this lead to...???

Jack could only hope that Sydney had not done anything too impulsive.

Huh. Well, it may be a bit too late in the day for that, huh? Seriously, I felt a little bad for Vaughn and his "self-less" acts but then I remembered who I was feeling sorry for. Loved, as always, your Jack and Weiss which are spot-on. :smiley:

And only a few chapters left. :( I'm so loving this and yet I'm so apprehensive about the ending (what's going to happen? Are Sark and Syd going to end up together? Will Vaughn get over himself long enough to be an actual asset to the mission?)...

Great job, per usual. Much thanks for the PM and can't wait for the next installment. :D

Great Job Aims.....as always! :smiley:!!!

You know I love this story, but I love anything you write so I know that the next fic you write will be just as if not more fantastic!! What can I say chica....your simply amazing! :notworthy:

Back