LOST Season 5, Episode 3 - Jughead - January 28, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughead_(Lost)

"Jughead" is the third television episode of the fifth season of ABC's Lost. The eighty-sixth episode of the show overall, "Jughead" aired on January 28, 2009 on ABC in the United States, being simulcast on A in Canada. The episode was written by supervising producers Elizabeth Sarnoff and Paul Zbyszewski and directed by Rod Holcomb.

The episode opens with a flashback of Desmond Hume (Henry Ian Cusick), in the Philippines, searching for a doctor to help his wife Penny Widmore (Sonya Walger), who is giving birth to their son, Charlie. In 2007, Desmond and Penny arrive in London, where Desmond plans to look for the mother of Daniel Faraday (Jeremy Davies), who is believed to be at Oxford University. However, the school has no record of either Faraday, even though Daniel was a professor there. Desmond searches Faraday's lab and meets a janitor who tells him that Faraday conducted experiments on a woman and provides an address for her. At her house, Desmond finds that the woman is in a vegetative state after experiencing temporal disassociation, similar to Desmond's experiences on the freighter (as seen in "The Constant"). He learns that Penny's father, Charles Widmore (Alan Dale), is not only paying her medical expenses, but also funded Daniel's research. Desmond confronts Widmore, who gives him the address of Daniel's mother in Los Angeles. Desmond returns to Penny, who agrees that they must travel to Los Angeles.

In 1954, following the events of the previous episode, "The Lie", Juliet Burke (Elizabeth Mitchell), John Locke (Terry O'Quinn) and James "Sawyer" Ford (Josh Holloway) interrogate the two men they have captured. Juliet deduces that they are members of the Others because they can speak Latin. One of the men, a younger Charles Widmore (Tom Connolly), kills the other when he agrees to help Juliet, Sawyer, and Locke, and flees to his campsite to warn Richard Alpert (Nestor Carbonell). Locke follows him and meets with Alpert, using Jacob's name and the compass Alpert gave him to gain his trust; however, Alpert is not entirely convinced. Locke tells Alpert to visit him after he is born in 1956 (a visit depicted in the episode "Cabin Fever", during which Alpert shows a young Locke the compass), but cannot convince Alpert to show him how to leave the island before the next time jump occurs.

At the same time, the freighter team, consisting of Miles Straume (Ken Leung), Charlotte Lewis (Rebecca Mader) and Daniel Faraday are captured by another group of Others, led by Ellie (Alexandra Krosney). Faraday deduces that the American military has come to the island to test hydrogen bombs, and that the Others are in possession of one which is leaking radiation. He convinces Alpert to let him defuse the bomb, confessing his love for Charlotte as proof that he won't detonate it on purpose. Ellie leads Faraday to the bomb (the titular Jughead), and after an inspection he advises her that the bomb should be buried and will not go off for at least 50 years, inadvertently revealing that he is from the future. Ellie doesn't believe him, but Juliet and Sawyer show up and disarm her. The time jump occurs and the group is safe, but Charlotte suddenly collapses with a nosebleed.

http://comics.gearlive.com/comix411/articl...Review-1-28-09/

LOST Review - Jughead - 1/28/09
Posted by David Torres

LOST continued its fifth season last night with an episode entitled "Jughead". The episode focused mainly on the characters that are still on the island - with the exception of Desmond as he's in this episode too.

What more praise can I give to this show that already hasn't been given by me or anyone else. This show continues to hit the big home run; score the big touchdown and make the game wining shot. I'm so envious of the creators and writers of this show because I believe they truly have created something special. Many shows that enter their fifth season start to begin to show cracks in the armor, but thankfully (at least in my opinion) "LOST" has yet to show any cracks.

Of course, if you haven't seen the episode, do not go any further due to spoilers.

As I said, this episode primarily deals with the characters that are still on the island. When we last left them, Locke had rescued Sawyer and Juliet from some soldiers. As with "LOST", more questions and shocking things happen as the soldiers can speak Latin and so can... Juliet as she tells Locke and Sawyer that these men are Others. She's right, but we then discover that they are not the Others that we are familiar with. Instead they are "Others" from the past! An interesting twist reveals that one of the soldiers is a younger version of someone we've met before. I won't reveal that here.

We find out that the year they've all jumped to is 1954 from the leader of the past Others Richard. The same Richard who seems to be everywhere and never seems to age. An interesting scene has Locke asking Juliet if she knows how old Richard is and she says that he's very old. I think there is something more to that as far as him being very old.

These Others also have Daniel and his crew and are in possession of a hydrogen bomb named Jughead. According to Wikipedia, there was a Jughead bomb during the 50s. The bomb is cracked and leaking and Daniel says he's willing to fix it. However, before any of that happens, they are all transferred to another time on the island.

Also in this episode we see Desmond trying to meet up with Daniel Faraday's mother. In his journey, we see that while at Oxford Daniel had some interesting things happen. One specific thing has to do with a woman who was hurt by Daniel. I won't reveal that here either. Daniel's mother isn't in Oxford, but is instead in L.A. Desmond doesn't want to continue, but Penny convinces him to go.

I read on a LOST spoiler site that a female character will be dying soon and by the end of this episode, you'll get an idea of who it will be. The episode ends with Charlotte becoming weak all of a sudden and her nose starts to bleed again as it did last week. This would make you think that she's the one, but I'm going with Penny as the one who dies.

It pains me to say this because the reuniting of Penny and Desmond at the end of last season was a great heart warming moment and I'm a sap for a happy ending. It will be even more painful if this does happen since this episode reveals that Penny and Desmond now have a son. He's named Charlie I'm assuming after the character Charlie Pace played by Dominic Monaghan in the first three seasons and not after Penny's father Charles Widmore - who in this episode warns Desmond to protect Penny from the all the dangers that relate to the island. This leads me to wonder if the writers are setting up Penny and not Charlotte to die.

One last bit of praise for the show before we end is the show's ability to kill off characters that you care about and then introduce new characters that you begin to care for just as much. I wonder if death is in the cards for any of the three main characters Jack, Kate, or Sawyer? I hope not, but it would be interesting to see how they would pull it off.

People continue to complain about "LOST" giving more questions than answers, but I'm enjoying the ride. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Back