Lost was put on the fast track . . .

Lost News

Official News Poster
From Sci Fi Wire:

Lost Was Fast-Tracked

Damon Lindelof, the co-creator and executive producer of ABC's Lost, told SCI FI Wire that creating the show with J.J. Abrams occurred in an accelerated time frame early this year. "I've been a huge fan of J.J.'s ever since Felicity and then Alias," Lindelof said in an interview. "I had been waiting for the opportunity to sit down and meet him, and I dreamed of collaborating with him. I love his sensibility and character-focused writing style."

Lindelof said that former ABC chief Lloyd Braun came up with the idea for a show built around a plane crash on an island in the South Pacific. "Basically, the network mentality was, 'Let's do Survivor: The Drama,'" Lindelof said. "I believe they originally developed that idea with Aaron Spelling. I got a call in early February from an executive at ABC and was asked if I wanted to meet with J.J. about this crazy plane crash idea. They didn't like the way the idea developed with Spelling, so they wanted to start from scratch. I met with J.J., and we talked for about three hours, and we got really excited about it. We decided that aside from the island being a character, it was going to be all about the people."

The duo came up with the concept for Lost, dealing with 48 survivors of a crash on a remote island. "This is why I've always responded to J.J.'s work," Lindelof said. "It's all about the characters. Over the course of a week, we broke a new story for the pilot and a very detailed outline. ABC read it and loved it and immediately green-lit the show. From that day, it was about five weeks later, and we were shooting the two-hour pilot."

As for the day-to-day guidance of the show, Lindelof said that he will be running the series. "J.J. now has a whole empire to manage," he said, referring to Abrams' Alias, not to mention his upcoming feature-film directorial debut with Mission: Impossible 3 and a new TV project. "In the early going, he was very involved in what we were doing, but he is back to Alias now and is working on the pilot for The Catch. I've written the first episode after the pilot. My hope is to write more, but I want to focus on enabling the writing staff to infuse the show with their voices too." Lost airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT.
[Note that the producer of Survivor was also working on a similar "Survivor: The Drama" series, which did not sell. ~ V]

Lost was pretty good.....but I think just the story line isn't gonna last for 5 seasons. I'de give it MAYEB 3. Just because being stranded on and island for that amount of time without any real changes or twists and turns it's jsut not very interesting fo rme. I think it will do well this season. But then it could suprise us. Like Gilligan's Island tho i don't remember how many seasons it stayed on. But ppl seemed to like it. anyways it Alias coming back or what?

Back