LOTR for Dummies: Construction Zone

Nad

Cadet
OK, so this is the Construction Zone, CZ, I came up with this idea of doing LOTR for Dummies, and at the All LOTR thread ideas just exploded that I'd never dream of, so this is where the ideas will be compiled and made into our book, or thread of greatness. If you have any thought, suggestions, or comments about what we're doing feel free to tell here! We'd love to know what you think!

Here are some of J.R.R. Tolkiens quotes.

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
J. R. R. Tolkien

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
J. R. R. Tolkien

I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence.
J. R. R. Tolkien

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish.
J. R. R. Tolkien

The Hobbits are just rustic English people, made small in size because it reflects the generally small reach of their imagination.
J. R. R. Tolkien

Nearly all marriages, even happy ones, are mistakes: in the sense that almost certainly (in a more perfect world, or even with a little more care in this very imperfect one) both partners might be found more suitable mates. But the real soul-mate is the one you are actually married to.
J. R. R. Tolkien, Letter to Michael Tolkien, March 1941

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring, 1954

One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them.
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring, 1954, chapter 2

His house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling, or singing, or just sitting and thinking, best, or a pleasant mixture of them all.
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lord Of the Rings, Book Four, Chapter One

'I wish life was not so short,' he thought. 'Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.'
J. R. R. Tolkien, The Lost Road

14 Quotes for you guys. When we compile this thing, it'll look better. Have fun.
Toodles Alassè

I'll wait about a week before restarting it. I PM'd Charlie and asked him to move it there, so if he doesn't then I'll restart it.

Charlie, we thank you. Here's A Elbereth Gilthoniel and translation.
First One
A Elbereth Gilthoniel,
O Elbereth Star-kindler
silivren penna míriel
(white) glittering slants down sparkling like jewels
o menel aglar elenath!
from [the] firmament [the] glory [of] the star-host!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
To-remote distance far-having gazed
o galadhremmin ennorath,
from [the] tree-tangled middle-lands,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
Fanuilos, to thee I will chant
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
on this side of ocean, here on this side of the Great Ocean!
What Sam says
A Elbereth Gilthoniel o menel palan-diriel, le nallon
O Elbereth Starkindler from firmanent gazing afar, to thee I cry
sí di-nguruthos! A tiro nin, Fanuilos!
here beneath death-horror! O look towards me, Everwhite!

PS. That's all in Sindarin

Yeha, Nad do you think we should also post what exactly we're doing here? It might help a tad bit. Anywho, for anyone who stumlbes upon this thread, some people have gotten together and decided to create Lord of the Rings for Dummies book. It will be compiled over the next few days, weeks, months. The table of contents will be posted soon. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks Charlie!!! We really appreciate it!!!!

Let's put A.K.A. Kate Jones on a Table of Contents since I think she's already got one on hand!

Sweden's biggest evening paper, Aftonbladet, has awarded TTT best foreign movie of the year and Viggo Mortensen best foreign actor. Additionally, Viggo tells the reporter that they are shooting a fight scene with the dead army. PJ says that everything is under control and that the postproduction of ROTK is the most fun of all three movies even though it is the most complicated movie.

kate for table of contents? okies, here it is!

timelines
-pictures
-ways to survive the wait
-recipes
-elvish lessons (and a guide on how to read dwarvish :D)
-middle-earth survival guide
- several reviews of each scene/movie
-elven name guide
-LORT dictionary/glossary
-detailed maps
-movie transcripts
-detailed cast and crew bios
-background info from The Hobbit and The Simarillion
-character overviews (both book and movie)
-conceptual design sketches (let's raid alan lee's house ;) )
-info and pictues on the minatures and big-atures used

added quotes, piano music, and a little something on mr. shore. :D

Very nice!
Summary of what we're doing.

Ok. A few people from the ALL Lotr thread have decided to get together and write a LOTR book for Dummies. We're each contributing parts to it. If you want to help contribute PM one of us, us being Nad, Alasse, or a.k.a Kate Jones. Say what you want to help with, the topics are on the table of contents, or add an idea.
Toodles Alassè

I have asked Agent Legolas to do the recipes, I haven't had a reply yet but she knows where to find some good ones!

just post here, that way we all have it here at the same time!

ooo, this is so much fun! :lol: but I can't get started on the author thing because I left my book at a friend's house... ^_^

LOL! We don't have a clue do we? I think we should form it here and somehow repost it in another thread. We could actually probably copy and paste it into Movie Critic, there is no fan fiction there. So let's get it done here and put it in both forums!

Back